Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Misc... (Formally Welcome) > One of these days, Yellowstone will erupt and when it does..

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments My debut novel, to be released in May in print and ebook formats. Giveaway campaign in full swing to May 7, so please sign up. Genre dificult to pin down, but somewhere between science fiction and dystopian humor, with generous pinches of mostly harmless political and religious satire added for flavor.

message 2: by Humberto (new)

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments Thanks Humberto - sure hope not - but that's one of the reasons this book is classified as fiction - the folks at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, however, seem somewhat less than certain. I sure will read your link, and with your permission post it on my blog.

message 4: by Ken (last edited Apr 27, 2014 09:59AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Humberto wrote: "Read.

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-yellowst...

It will not erupt."

On the other hand, if it does, all those experts will say, "You misunderstood what we meant by the phrase 'for the next ten thousands of years.'" Another "expert" put the time as a million years or two. They can't even agree on when it won't erupt, much less on when it will.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments Well put

message 6: by James (new)

James Corkill | 36 comments Hi Ken. It's amazing who you meet on good reads. My latest novel being released this summer has to do with Yellowstone erupting as well. I used to work there a long time ago. As far as what I know about Yellowstone, it happens around every 180,000 years, and is already past due.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments Hi James
Congratulations - I was beginning to think it was just me. I will eagerly check out your book.

message 8: by Humberto (new)

Humberto Contreras | 66 comments Ken. You don't need my permission. Although, yes of course post it.
I hope my impertinence will sell more of your books.
We all need more to talk about.
I wish you could take a look at my books.
Two happen in near future and there is no need of an explosion. Politicians are all that is needed to create havoc.
Http://alphazerobooks.com
I saw the article at twitter today. As I had seen your discussion, I couldn't resist.

message 9: by Humberto (new)

Humberto Contreras | 66 comments By the way. I have a PhD in seismic risk analysis.

message 10: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments Ken wrote: "Humberto wrote: "Read.

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-yellowst...

It will not erupt."

On the other hand, if it does, all those experts will say, "You misunderstood what..."

If there's one thing I'm sure of in this world, it's that no one can accurately predict anything, and if we do, it's probably random chance that we got it right. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing out in a downpour with thunder overhead, griping that the forecast called for a 0% chance of rain.
That said, I really hope Humberto is right in this case :).

message 11: by Humberto (new)

Humberto Contreras | 66 comments I bet that it will not erupt. Anyway, if it erupts there will be no money and no nothing to pay.

I'm going to read Ken's book and will let you know what is my opinion of this fictitious future. Sorry all SF futures are fictitious.

message 12: by C.F. (new)

C.F. Waller there aren't any zombies, yet those novels sell

I saw the same show where they said eveyr 180k years, but we will know long before it does. The ground will move decades b4

be well

message 13: by James (new)

James Corkill | 36 comments That's the advantage of writing sci-fi. We can make it erupt whenever we wish to. Have you heard of the zipper effect? The way I understand it, several small eruptions will surround the caldera just before the major eruption.