The Grishaverse discussion

Shadow and Bone > Chapter 18-End

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Go Alina! Way to find your inner strength!

Sugar Plum Fairies! Just as good as I remembered it to be.

Where's the Darkling? Where's Baghra? Where's Genya? Where are Mal and Alina headed? So many questions!

message 2: by Lys (new)

Lys Chapter 21 has to be one of my faves. I loved the whole Alina/Darkling conversation.
I have to say, re-reading it, it made me more wary of Baghra and her role in Darkling's past. As Alina, I did believe her the first time around, but now I felt there's a ton more she didn't say to Alina.

(Also, the Darkling being all jealous is always the best ;) )

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

What an ending! Wow! We can’t stop talking about it in the office.

But first, let’s recap.

Warning SPOILERS for Chapters 18-End

We join Alina and Mal as they travel across Tsibeya in the search for Morozova’s stag. Alina and Mal finally discuss what’s happened and clear the air after everything that went down at the Little Palace. We find out what Mal has been up to all these months and Alina and Mal reconcile their friendship.

And THEN we have a proper Mal swoon at the start of Chapter 19!!

“I’m sorry it took me so long to see you, Alina. But I see you now.”

We finally found Morozova’s stag and wow. Alina has an epic moment of connection with the stag and decides to spare the stag’s life.

And then the Darkling arrives . . . and it all goes terribly wrong.

The Darkling kills the stag and has David fashion a collar from the antlers for Alina. Alina and Mal are once again prisoners of the Darkling and the dangerous Darkling now has the ability to control Alina through the collar.

The Darkling plans to use Alina’s power to turn the Fold into a weapon. He plans an elaborate demonstration of Alina’s powers when they reach the Fold. Alina reunites with Genya and realizes the role that everyone has played in the Darkling’s nefarious plans.

The Darkling takes Alina, Mal along with a skiff filled with dignitaries onto the Fold to demonstrate Alina’s powers.

And then . . . it all goes wrong for the Darkling!

Alina discovers that she can control her power because she spared the stag’s life. Alina uses her power so that she and Mal escape can across the Fold leaving the remains people on the skiff in darkness.
Alina and Mal are on the run from the Darkling and determined to find a way to bring down the Darkling.
What did you think of that ending? What’s next for Mal and Alina? What do you hope happens next in Siege and Storm?

Wow. Wow. Wow. We’re just going to go and grab our copies of Siege and Storm and start reading!