Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2) Petals on the Wind discussion

The Lifetime Movie Event!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Iris How many of you are excited about the sequel to Flowers in the Attic also being adapted into a Lifetime movie? I loved what they did with the first one and cannot wait for this one to air! I loved who they cast as Cathy because I've seen her on Once Upon a Time and Masters of Sex and she's a pretty decent actress. I don't know the guy playing Chris but I have high hopes for him as well.

message 3: by Shadow Girl (new) - added it

Shadow Girl I heard about the Lifetime remake of Flowers, but... I missed it. I'll see if I can find it to watch online tonight. I DID NOT hear about a Petals movie!!
I'm excited, but... I gotta tell ya... I reread Petals in March, and I was pissed at Cathy. I'd forgotten how selfish and petty her quest for revenge made her. I had to keep reminding myself that it was written in the late 60's. Things like socially acceptable woman slapping were getting to me like never before, and I must have read these books 10+ times! It was a weird point in my life, too, so... maybe it was just me!
I am excited! I'll see if I can find Flowers, and watch the Petals preview. Thanks for the update!!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Feldman I think if I had seen the movie at age 14 when this series was the end-all-be-all to me, I would have written a big hate letter to Lifetime for all that they changed, but all these years and a re-read later I have to laugh. It was so bad-a ripe pick for Mystery Science Theater 3000 if they ever bring it back.

message 5: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long Shadow Girl wrote: "I heard about the Lifetime remake of Flowers, but... I missed it. I'll see if I can find it to watch online tonight. I DID NOT hear about a Petals movie!!
I'm excited, but... I gotta tell ya... I ..."

Next year they are making if there be thorns and seeds of yesterday those are the last two of the dollanganger series I just thought you should know lol

Michelle B If There Be Thorns is on Sunday April 5 at 8/7c. Seeds of Yesterday will be on the following Sunday at the same time.

message 7: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long Hey Michelle how did you like the movies I hardly didn't get "if there be thorns" it confused me but I have to say "seeds o yesterday" I absolutely loved it and I have to say I cried when Christopher died cause Christopher is my favorite but Bart is freaking hot I can't believe he was a scroney boy and now he's effen hot and what was the deal when he knew his parents secret about being brother and sister and he married Cindy "which is his adoptive sister" that was my only flaw but when you get this I love to see what you say thanx and have a good day

Michelle B If There Be Thorns, I didn't like as much, but that makes sense because it was my least favorite book of the series. I did think the casting for young Bart was good, he did a nice job on the character's personality and madness.

Seeds of Yesterday.. I was glad to see the swan bed was better than the one they used for Flowers in the Attic, it was closer to the description in the books this time. The actor that played Bart was indeed hot. I wish they would have included Joel into the story.

I enjoyed all 4 movies. There were things I liked about them and things I wish they had done differently (and closer to the books). The casting was decent, though some looked the parts more than others, and then some acted the parts way better than others. But considering it's Lifetime, I thought they were pretty good.

message 9: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long Michelle wrote: "If There Be Thorns, I didn't like as much, but that makes sense because it was my least favorite book of the series. I did think the casting for young Bart was good, he did a nice job on the charac..."

I am sad that they aren't making anymore cause they are really good books but I only have one flaw in pedals on the wind they hardly didn't mention of Paul and that made me mad they only showed it at when he died and they didn't show any of it in the movie but when you read the book you vidualize the characters more than it normally is

Patricialogan8 Shadow Girl wrote: "I heard about the Lifetime remake of Flowers, but... I missed it. I'll see if I can find it to watch online tonight. I DID NOT hear about a Petals movie!!
I'm excited, but... I gotta tell ya... I ..."

try My Lifetime

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/peta...

message 11: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long Patricialogan8 wrote: "Shadow Girl wrote: "I heard about the Lifetime remake of Flowers, but... I missed it. I'll see if I can find it to watch online tonight. I DID NOT hear about a Petals movie!!
I'm excited, but... I..."

They are all good movie there are 4 movies they are really good especially seeds even though thorns was confusing as hell but then again the book was better than the movie just sayin and they have flowers in the attic and pedals on the wind on Amazon so I'll let you know if if there be thorns and seeds of yesterday is on there

message 12: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long I just wish they could make more I really love those movies and books

Patricialogan8 I think it is a combo of financial and legality, VC Andrews has had a ghost writer for years and I am not sure how that works when it comes to movie production

message 14: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long Patricialogan8 wrote: "I think it is a combo of financial and legality, VC Andrews has had a ghost writer for years and I am not sure how that works when it comes to movie production"

I still think that the real V.C. Andrews was a better writer cause I understand more than her ghost writer but then again I'm weird

message 15: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long No offensive friends but I am really weird

message 16: by Read On! (last edited May 09, 2015 12:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Read On! Though I have just read and really enjoyed Petals On The Wind, I have no interest in investing my time in watching the Lifetime film when it is aired.
The reason being, their attempt at the TV version of Flowers In The Attic, (I watched a couple of nights ago), which despite the original 1987 film being a huge disappointment to the critics and many fans of the book, I thought I'd give the Lifetime 2014 remake a go as I'd heard it was somewhat better than it's predecessors version.
I truly wished I hadn't bothered. It was watered down beyond almost recognition. There were some glaring omissions (the books particularly violent scene where the Grandmother WHIPS, not belts, both Chris and then Cathy in the bathroom and beats her about the head was gone.)
Parts were totally changed (in the book Chris gets the imprint of the master key by taking it off the table when his mother leaves it there, not off the Grandmother, as was depicted in the film.)
And the ending of the film was a complete re-write! (the children never left the Grandmother crying out in the darkness of the attic stairs while they climbed down the roof. In the book the twins were too scared to even go on the roof! And who came up with the idea of the electric fence??!!)
The film captured none of the frustration and claustrophobic atmosphere of being locked in a room for over 3 years, that the book did. The children just came across as a bunch of petulant kids.
The only redeeming quality was Ellen Burstyn, who played the threatening Grandmother. I thought she successfully stole what was left from the wreckage of the film.
And of course this TV adaptation put the book back in the charts again, which will be a plus for the publisher to make some more cash.
Petals On The Wind has more characters and is a lot more eventful than Flowers In The Attic, so if Lifetime had such difficulty in accurately portraying a relatively simple storyline such as 'Flowers', I dread to think what a hash they'll make of 'Petals'. So I'll pass, rather than waste 85 minutes of my life that I'll never get back, on this. I will however continue to read the rest of the Dollanganger series.
If screenwriters can't stay true to the novel, then
don't bother.

message 17: by Shanna (new) - added it

Shanna Long Read wrote: "Though I have just read and really enjoyed Petals On The Wind, I have no interest in investing my time in watching the Lifetime film when it is aired.
The reason being, their attempt at the TV vers..."

How I never thought of that of what you said you said a lot it really opened my eyes some