The Malazan Fallen discussion

The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
This topic is about The Crippled God
Group Read - The Crippled God > TCG: End of Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
End of book/series discussion - WE MADE IT!

Linette | 152 comments But what of Kruppe?

Not complaining, it was a well done wrap up of a very long series and we can't touch on every one of the 500 characters, but...Kruppe. And Pust? Maybe they are still busy duelling.

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments I'd like to see some other peoples thoughts on the Master Plan. More particularly, on what had to have been foreseen and how far back the plan was conceived. By the plan, I mean the goal to free the CG and to send him on his way out of this universe. I realize that the points may be different for different players, so the ones I'm most interested in are Tavore, Ganoes, QB, ST, Rake, Bugg, perhaps Kruppe.

message 4: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
But what of Kruppe?

You can read more of him in Esslemonts series (said to become also a 10 book read). Plus SE is also contracted to write 10 more books as well.

I would imagine there will be a Kruppe, Pust and Karsa story in there somewhere.

Linette | 152 comments Good to know...not sure yet if I'm going to read the Esslemont's books.

message 6: by Sumant (last edited May 01, 2014 01:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sumant I just finished with Crippled god and here is my review
Crippled god .

Lori Duffy that's exactly what I've been pondering, who knew what when? I'm most interested in Tavore but I really don't think she's been in communication, that's why she gets so thrilled when the Imass with the message from TCG. So was it her incredible sensitivity to the deeper world around her(

message 8: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 4 stars

I would say the earliest we could reasonably expect Tavore to have known anything(without assuming too much external to the book itself) would be from when she was with T'amber - or when T'amber was possessed by the Eresel. That would go someway to explain some of her inside knowledge.

message 9: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 4 stars

My Review

Johny (drbo) | 184 comments Rusted weathervane ending and starting the story is similar to The Dark Tower from Stephen King.

And it was good. On the secong read, with you all and your summaries and all, it was more awesome than first read. Erikson's the best.

message 11: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1055 comments Mod
I finally managed some time to collect my thoughts into some kind of review

message 12: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori All the reviews are perfect as a bookend to a wonderful experience. 16 months. swerve spent together!

I'm so glad to understand everything I missed first round, and the series is far more satisfying. It's a deep experience, this series.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments I'm so sad I missed discussing this book with all of you - just had to be the two months when grad school ate my life.

Strange_Trees I just finished this last night. Not ashamed to say I cried, a lot. I expected a bittersweet ending, but I was pleasantly surprised with how it was more sweet than bitter :) I need to re-read the whole series for sure, and pay more attention to characters I didn't really pay enough attention to in the earlier books.

message 15: by Dara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 210 comments Finished! Finally! TCG is not my favorite book in the series. The pacing was off and I got so tired of some of the storylines (the Shake in particular). I liked how Erikson wrapped things up, mostly. The stuff with Heboric and his hands was pretty cool. I thought there would be a higher body count. I admit that Gesler and Stormy's deaths really got to me.

My review

DangerBin | 52 comments I just finished first read last night. Wow, it took me an entire year. Make me want to get an e-reader because there are many parts I want to read again, but oh so many, I do not. I don't think I could read this series again, and am awed by those of you who did. You are witnessed.

Jeremy R | 8 comments That scene with Toc and Tool just crushed me.

message 18: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah. It shows how great those characters are. Otherwise you wouldn't care so much.

message 19: by Chaz (last edited Oct 28, 2015 06:09AM) (new) - added it

Chaz | 297 comments So I have finally finished. Only 17 months after the rest of the group and 34 (!) months after we started Christmas 2012.

I truly love this series. I love the density, the complexity, the times when I am wracked with heaving sobs (Deadhouse Gates and the Chain of Dogs goes down as my favourite in the series) and the times when i am chuckling to myself rather awkwardly on a crowded commuter train.

Dust of Dreams and TCG were new to me having read the first 8 books several years ago. There was so much to enjoy but they were probably the weakest in the series.

Thanks for the read along guys, I thoroughly enjoyed ghosting on the comment threads months after all the discussion was done.

message 20: by Chaz (new) - added it

Chaz | 297 comments I was just having a little browse of some of the discussion of the first few chapters of GotM. I had totally forgotten that Toc was Claw!

Johny (drbo) | 184 comments Congratz, Chaz, I hope you know reread is a must-do! :)

message 22: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim | 7 comments Duffy wrote: "I'd like to see some other peoples thoughts on the Master Plan. More particularly, on what had to have been foreseen and how far back the plan was conceived. By the plan, I mean the goal to free th..."

Shadowthrone and Cotillion seem the most knowledgeable, although they still get in trouble trying to make things happen as planned. But I think a lot of the gods and ascendants anticipated more than all but the smartest mortals. Just because the readers are in the dark doesn't mean the characters are as ignorant. Still, just because they anticipated the future doesn't mean they were sure it would happen.

message 23: by Monica (last edited Oct 11, 2016 02:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica | 3 comments Just finished the last book in the series after starting GotM a little bit less than a year ago and I have to say I'm in awe. This was the most massive complex world I have ever encountered and I didn't regret a moment I spent here. The ending was just perfect. It tied most of the threads and in a great fashion.

Only thing that saddened me somewhat was the lack of Quickben. Somehow when they called it his game, that quote "The thing about Adaephon Delat's game is this: he cheats" I was certain he's going to do something epic. And yeah, he blasted some magefire but that was all. It was a bit unticlimactic for me from my favourite overly proud (most of the time for a reason) wizard.

Besides that, I loved the finishing touch of Fiddler at the peer. And then. "Remember us"

message 24: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm always in favor of more Quick Ben personally.

Monica | 3 comments Couldn't agree more, I'm considering rereading the passages in the third book that contained his pov. That moment with Bauchelain is still stuck in my head and I want to remember more of what Quick's promise to Burn entailed.

I wish I could reread the whole series, but still have 3 of Esslemont's books to finish and the Kharkanas trilogy (well, two books for now). Still, after having spent a whole year on the Malazan series, I think, I'll need a break. Maybe after some five or ten years? ;D

message 26: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica, the Khakanos series is very interesting. I was never a fan of the Andii, but I have to say, I am loving getting all the history of the three Tiste races. A must read.

Monica | 3 comments Mhhm... Really? I might be tempted... I'll wait a bit more, just finished The Crippled God what two? three? hours ago and my mind is still reeling from the last battle. I might change my mind about waiting to read the Andii books once I return to a normal state of mind and start soon on them.

message 28: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'd recommend waiting for book three to be released then. Book one has so much new detail, that I was a little frustrated in book two because I could not remember some of the character alliances, they are very important in the story, so I would have liked to read the whole trilogy at once.

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments I just finished. If I have any complaints it's that Karsa, Daseem and Kruppe didn't have a larger part in the last book.

That doesn't override all the good. Roach and Bent, Stormy and Gesler, Whiskey and Korlat..........so many heartbreaking moments.

Simply the best.

Marwood | 1 comments Wow! After 3 years of intermittent reading, I have finally finished this series and I must say this is definitely one of the most epic book series I have read (not that I have read many series). I actually enjoyed reading this monster of a series even if sometimes I’m not really sure what’s going on. So when I am able to grasp what I am reading, the reveals really hit me like a brick wall, and often I am left in awe and speechless.

What I loved about this is definitely the writing as it really sharpened my brain, having to really pay attention to every little detail. Also, I always get attached to these characters so easily. I think I’m in the minority of those readers who really sympathized with Felisin. Such a well fleshed-out character. Of course Kruppe and Pust never fails to bring some lightness to this very bleak and heartbreaking story. There’s characters you hate in the beginning but grow to love by the end of each book, like Karsa, Udinaas, the Crippled God, and even Kallor to some extent. There’s the uber powerful characters like Rake, Silchas, Draconus, the Ancient races (T’lan Imass, Forkrul Assail, Jaghut, and K’Chain Che’malle). The Bridgeburners and Bonehunters who are the epitome of hope, faith, resilience, and just pure joy. QuickBen and Kalam, both shaved knuckles of the whole series, just awesome! The Paran siblings, all of whom started from the bottom and worked their way to the top. And many many many many more characters I would love to enumerate but would require a whole years worth of writing. But if I had to pick one favorite character from the whole series, I would have to choose Tehol Beddict. He is just so cooky and cocky and genius and so freaking funny!

I don’t think I will be able to commit so much time to a re-read of the whole series as I still want to read the Kharkanas Trilogy. So I am glad that I found this wonderful group which helped me a lot with my first read through of the series. If it wasn’t for all of your discussions, I don’t think I would be able to appreciate and grasp the story as I have now. So THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of my chained heart 😅. Looking forward to reading your discussions again sometime soon when I start The Kharkanas trilogy.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!