What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Quote - Rainbow coloured questions

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments Since it appears it's OK to ask about quotes that didn't necessarily originate in books, there's a quote that's been niggling at me for years. I can't remember where I first saw it, possibly in a newspaper, and I can't remember who said it (perhaps a senior British cleric).

The quote goes; “The Roman Catholic Church seeks to give black and white straightforward answers to what are, in fact, rainbow coloured questions”.

I loved the sentiment when I first read it. I've done quite extensive internet searches, but I can't find any reference to it. I'd very much like to know who said it, when, and in what context. Any ideas?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37538 comments Mod
Are we allowing queries about quotes that don't originate in books? Personally I'm not really in favor of this - we have limited enough resources as it is.

I wonder if there is another group that investigates quotes.

message 3: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments I think we should stick with books.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37538 comments Mod
Or maybe we could allow queries but they would go in Just to Chat? That way mods wouldn't be responsible for moving threads around, checking to see if something is still Unsolved, etc.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I do think putting random quotes that don't appear to originate in a book in the Just to Chat section sounds good. If the quote is from a book, leave it in the unsolved books section.