Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

30-Day Challenge! > 30-day Challenge! - Day 18: If you could jump into any book, what book would it be? Why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments -------

Day 18: If you could jump into any book, what book would it be? Why?

-------

- I feel like this answer, for me, could change, depending on my mood. But, right now, as I look out at a gray and rainy sky, the first 'book world' that jumped into my mind is a recent and ongoing series that I just adore. As soon as a new book comes out, I read it right away. :D

It's the world, and characters, first introduced in A Modern Witch by Debora Geary. Which I found by picking up a freebie kindle book, off of Amazon's Top 100 Best Sellers - Free list! (alot of dross on those lists ;-))

The world now has spread out into four related serieses (? is that a word?), and I'll keep reading them as long as she keeps writing them. But, it sure would be fun to go have noodles with them sometime. Or Nutella cookies :D.

A Modern Witch (8 books)
WitchLight Trilogy (3 books)
Witch Central (2 books)
Novel Nibbles (2 books)

-------

I guess I cheated a bit, b/c that is a series (several, actually, lol). If it was a single book ... hmmmm ... this is tougher. Looks like most of my 'five stars' are part of a series. I guess I will say Ireland by Frank Delaney. I would absolutely LOVE to sit by a fireplace and listen to that old storyteller tell me one or some of his tales :)

-------

Who wants to play!

-------

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) If I can cheat a little bit too, and be so so so unorginial: Harry Potter. I know! It's so obvious! But there is no denying that I would absolutely LOVE to be a part of the wizarding world as created by J.K. Rowling.

But if I would have to pick just one book.. I'm just gonna go with On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I remember being really "depressed" while reading it, because I would never be able to go on random roadstrips around the US hitchhiking with strangers or driving some rusty old car through the desert or anywhere else and just be free. I know I'll never get to do that, and it seriously sucks because it sounds so perfect!

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Murder on the Orient Express- not so much for the murder, but because I would just love to ride the Orient Express!

message 4: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I almost said Harry Potter, Kim! I would love to go running at that place on the train station and pass through into that whole new world :D

message 5: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments It would be divergent. I'm a boy, but I feel like Tris has it all.

message 6: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments ((Spoiler)) Another reason would be that Divergent by Veronica Roth would be an amazing experience to travel forward in time and see war-torn Chicago. The factions project would be interesting because in a changing world, it would be nice to see what governments create a (for the most part) harmonious, successful nation, and which ones create a country where the citizens turn on each other and sends the world as they know it come crashing down. Seeing which faction my friends and I would go into would be captivating, though I do like to choose my own life. I do agree with Tobias's opinion, which was that instead of having one characteristic your entire life, you should want and be permitted to be truthful, peaceful, selfless, intelligent, and thrill-seeking.

message 7: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments I'd cheat as well and go with the planet Barrayar from Bujold's Vorkosigan saga. I think it'd be really interesting to be in a community going through that much social change in just a few generations.

As far as a non-cheating ... Hm. I pick Beauty. I'd love having a magical library that contained every book that ever had or was going to be written.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) I'm with Harry Potter, too. Only if I can do magic, though. So many of the books I really like take place when being a woman isn't the best thing.

message 9: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Janet wrote: "I'm with Harry Potter, too. Only if I can do magic, though. So many of the books I really like take place when being a woman isn't the best thing."

On the bold, that's an interesting point. One that I saw discussed in my Time Travel group a few times. There are so few female time travelers in stories, it seems, and the conversation speculated that the restricted roles/freedom of movement for females at many times in history is one reason.

On the first - for sure! I wouldn't want to be a muggle ^_^

message 10: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments Well, I'd probably regret it since it's such a harsh world;-), but I'd love to jump into George RR Martin's Fire and Ice series. The various lands are so interesting, in particular the Wall.

The Great Gatsby is another book I would love to jump into, due to the oppulent lifestyle and those gorgeous mansions.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) Kelly wrote: "Well, I'd probably regret it since it's such a harsh world;-), but I'd love to jump into George RR Martin's Fire and Ice series. The various lands are so interesting, in particular the Wall.

The G..."

Yes, I was also thinking about Fire and Ice, but then again: not a very nice place to be a woman. (Except maybe rich and dressed in beautiful garments... And with a husband who isn't a total creep) I think I'd rather be a man in that world.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Aidan wrote: "((Spoiler)) Another reason would be that Divergent by Veronica Roth would be an amazing experience to travel forward in time and see war-torn Chicago. The factions project would be ..."

This would be fun, I agree.

message 13: by Faouzia (new)

Faouzia | 34 comments if i have to choose one, it would be defenitely Pride and Prejudice :D
it would be interesting to be a Lizzy for one day and meet my Mr Darcy :) i don't think this is quite original but i love the book very much!!!

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) I would say Robinson Crusoe but being on deserted island without books would be torture.

message 15: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Cindy wrote: "I would say Robinson Crusoe but being on deserted island without books would be torture."

haha so true! (on the bolded)

message 16: by AC (last edited Apr 27, 2014 07:25PM) (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments Cindy wrote: "I would say Robinson Crusoe but being on deserted island without books would be torture."

No books, so what! Write one yourself on a series of leaves and tree bark!

message 17: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 194 comments I'd jump into the Dark Tower and join the ka-tet of the rose.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Aidan wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I would say Robinson Crusoe but being on deserted island without books would be torture."

No books, so what! Write one yourself on a series of leaves and tree bark!"

Maybe I will. I have a few books already in my head begging to be let out.

message 19: by Teo (new)

Teo Cristina | 8 comments I would jump in NEARLY all books that I red! I would go From Harry Potter to Pride and Prejudice,from Pride and Prejudice in Jane Eyre, From Jane Eyre to David Copperfield and all that! I know that's not even a good answer for the group's question,but that is the way I feel :)

message 20: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Teo wrote: "I would jump in NEARLY all books that I red! I would go From Harry Potter to Pride and Prejudice,from Pride and Prejudice in Jane Eyre, From Jane Eyre to David Copperfield and all that! I know that..."

Haha thats okay! i would jump into every book that I've ever read, almost!

message 21: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Actually, Teo, that's a GREAT answer :D. I agree with you and Alissa, me too!!!

message 22: by Teo (new)

Teo Cristina | 8 comments Wow! Thank's for both of you! :)

message 23: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I'm 31, and still waiting for my Hogwarts letter..... ;-)

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 13 comments Duane wrote: "I would love to jump into Time and Again by. Jack Finney and go back to New York City in 1882, at least for one day."

I was thinking just the same thing!

message 25: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I'd love to jump into the world of Mercy Thompson in that series...

message 26: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4816 comments Mod
The Time Machine comes to mind. I don’t desire duking it out with the Morlocks, but it would be interesting to peek behind the curtain and see what the future looks like.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited May 19, 2014 08:15AM) (new)

May 18:

Pride and Prejudice: Who wouldn't want to live at Pemberly?

The Wizard of Oz: Just so I could step out of the house and into all those glorious colors; plus those ruby red slippers look pretty cute!!

Should add: Harry Potter series if my character could become an animagus. ;-)

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronicalynne4) | 5 comments Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Lost World. I am an armchair explorer.

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Brideshead Revisited because I love reading about this time period and would like to jump in and live it for myself.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Day 18 Entry:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

I just really want to check out that chocolate factory and meet an oompolopa!

message 31: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Rachel wrote: "Day 18 Entry:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

I just really want to check out that chocolate factory and meet an oompolopa!"

haha! That made me smile :). Me too, now that you mention it ^_^

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) Alice in Wonderland!

message 33: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Gilliam | 2 comments I would want to jump into The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawethorne. I don't believe that Hester Prynne had anyone on her side and I would like to have been able to help her out in her situation no matter what the consequences. I would also like to jump into To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I think that there is a lot to be learned from Atticus.

message 34: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I'd like to visit the ball at Twelve Oaks in the beginning of Gone with the Wind. Just because I'd like to wear a crinoline dress and dance at the ball. I wouldn't want to stay, though, because there is a war starting and that whole slavery thing... But for one day.

I think the story couldn't have happened in another time, though. I like that Scarlett is a non-conformist and it's not really possible anymore to portray a character like that in contemporary novels. My favourite scene is of course the one at the Atlanta Bazaar, because I, too, like to shock people a bit sometimes. Maybe I am actually more like Rhett...

Otherwise I'd like to jump to Belle Époque or maybe 1920s Paris, but I don't really have a book in mind.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to jump into The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I think Narnia sounds amazing, and I would like to meet Mr. Tumnus. :)

message 36: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 194 comments Yes, go with Narnia, Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice; just for starters!

message 37: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Hmmm, maybe the Cork O'Connor series by William Kent Krueger because it is set near my beautiful childhood home in Minnesota.

message 38: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Fountain | 286 comments The Children of Hurin

message 39: by Kainzow (new)

Kainzow | 15 comments Anna Karenina!

message 40: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Harry Potter for me too .one can identify the world within yet it is fun.Hogwarts. ..

If one book then..

Heidi

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen  (jennsps) | 105 comments Agreed, Harry Potter for sure! Though it would be rather dangerous, so one of the first books of it I would say.

message 42: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2372 comments Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series!

message 44: by Rhedyn (new)

Rhedyn  (fernffoulkes) Narnia, The Scarlet Pimpernel....

message 45: by Brina (new)

Brina Daughter of Fortune

message 46: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Harry Potter. It may be dangerous, but it would be fun!

message 47: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments The future world of The Power. It is not perfect, but it would be nice to be on the other side for a while.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) The "Outlander" series. It would be so neat!

Jillian ❀‿❀ (readingthething) | 28 commentsLittle Women because I want to live in Transcendentalist Concord & make merry in the snow at Orchard House.

message 50: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Absolutely I would want to be an elf in Tolkien’s Middle-Earth.

Also appealing is Susanna Clarke’s Regency England, but only if I could do magic. I could attend balls but also go through mirrors and explore realms beyond. And I always liked the roguish Childermass and he hadn’t any romantic attachments…

« previous 1