Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month May 2014 - Divergent & Assassin's Apprentice

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The winners of May 2014's BoTM are:
- FANTASY: Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
- SCI-FI: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month. There will also be 'overall' discussion threads as more members finish the books - anyone can create these!

message 2: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
I might have to reread Assassin's Apprentice for this month. Not sure what I am going to do about Divergant, I have it in my Not-interested shelf...

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

You don't have to read it if you don't want to ;)

message 4: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1884 comments Mod
Woohoo - looking forward to Divergent :D

May have a go at Assassins Apprentice if I have time.

message 5: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1810 comments Mod
Kirsty - do! Assassin's Apprentice is awesome :)

message 6: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Hobb is in my opinion really good with character development and the wiring is brilliant :)

message 7: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

writing* sorry, on my phone!

message 8: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1802 comments I read Assassin's Apprentice last year and loved it. Might have to re-read it. Not to sure about Divergent but will give it a go.

message 9: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Divergent is good fun. I didn't enjoy it as much as some but it was still a pretty good read - so if you're into that sort of dystopian fiction I'd give it a shot =)

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) Totally stoked that Assassin's Apprentice is the read for next month. Looking forward to it. Have heard wonderful things about it, but haven't yet sat down with it.

message 11: by Jose (new)

Jose Ayala (joseayala) | 8 comments Wooooo! Assassin's Apprentice has been on my 'to-read' list for a while. I'm going to pick it up on my way home from work and get started on it tonight.

message 12: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret Divergent, the movie, was painful enough.

For those who enjoyed either the movie or book, well, I'm glad you did.

A.A is a good read.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen French (helenfrench) | 37 comments AA is fantastic, though I read it years ago so can't be totally sure I'd still think so today. But it's a very good series and I think anyone interested in epic fantasy should at least try it.

Can't say I fancy Divergent - that may just be because I've read a fair bit of YA dystopian stuff lately. The last one was Uglies which I didn't like at all. Still maybe if I see it cheap this month I will buy it after all :)

message 14: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2865 comments Mod
Well, I was willing to take a shot at Divergent. However, since the movie is out soon, my library is showing 549 holds on the book. I seriously doubt I'm giong to get it before month's end.

message 15: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Whaaaaaaaat? That's crazy!

message 16: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

549!!

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) I have to admit, I enjoyed the Divergent movie. Was dragged to it but it was much better than I thought it would be. Wouldn't mind taking a stab at the book.

message 18: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2865 comments Mod
I humbly suggest we maybe not nominate books that are in the process of becoming hit movies. Yeah, 549. Big library system, but LOTS of people in the county.

message 19: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 16 comments I have Divergent however I don't have Assassin's Apprentice. I'm on the wait list for it at the library but my number isn't 549 (that's insane) I'm number 2 on the wait list. Hoping to get it soon.

message 20: by Trillian (new)

Trillian | 68 comments Unfortunately I have read both books for this month already. But it reminds me that I finally need to read the second book of the farseer trilogy. I loved Assassin's Apprentice.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) Started Assassin's Apprentice today. Liking the voice so far, interested to see where it takes me!

message 22: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Divergent is currently £2.50 on kindle...

If you enjoy it Insurgent is also £2.50 and Allegiant is £2.99.

message 23: by Ren (new)

Ren Strangely enough I've already read both books. I might go back to Promise of Blood since I never read it in April after all, or read Insurgent (even though I wasn't a fan of the worldbuilding in Divergent because there were too many issues that were never addressed)...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.