Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Speed reading app hits a speed bump

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments So perhaps the speed reading app isn't quite so great after all..
although after reading about the app a few weeks ago, I have seen the wisdom of not widening an electronic screen page to landscape, a narrower portrait view (like a real print book page!) does make it easier to read.
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulle...
From the article: In February, a company called Spritz unveiled an app to dramatically increase your reading speed. The idea is that words are fed to readers one at a time, with each word popping up in the same place to reduce the inefficiency of moving your eyes across a page.

It's a fascinating idea and fun to be able read a few sentences at 500 words per minute. But, like us, scientists questioned the reading comprehension level for those who use this type of speed reading app.

A new study from the University of California, San Diego addressed this question based on previous knowledge that readers move their eyes to reread text about 10 to 15 percent of the time.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Fascinating!

Ann wrote: "So perhaps the speed reading app isn't quite so great after all..
although after reading about the app a few weeks ago, I have seen the wisdom of not widening an electronic screen page to landscap..."

message 3: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3480 comments interesting I did something like this long ago. I used to be not good at reading so had to do the old summer school bit for reading. (back when I wasn't much of a reading and wasn't into it) well they used to give you thing to use a machine like a ereader almost and as the app what they wanted you to do was just read the key word in the middle of each line. I think back to those days of doing monthly book reports and having to read when I didn't want to and now how I like to read I kind of laugh about it.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 07, 2014 04:56AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Donnajo wrote: "interesting I did something like this long ago. I used to be not good at reading so had to do the old summer school bit for reading. (back when I wasn't much of a reading and wasn't into it) well..."

I too remember struggling with books I didn't want to read, for school, which was practically all of them. Now I go back and read them bec I want to. Thinking to our group reads, I wonder if reading smaller chunks (chapters) and discussing them in class would have made them more interesting. Just think what an online group read could do for a class discussion in today's world! And, you could easily keep track of individual participation by noting who commented! Teachers out there, is this being used as far as you know?

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Interesting thought on reading chapters to discuss in class rather than everyone writing a book report solo for required reading lists, Carol. I bet it would have made a difference.
It seemed that "everyone" in my classes read the Cliff Notes version of the classics, etc., instead of the book, and probably skimmed those while whining "I had to read that entire thing, no way was I reading the actual book."
I was horrified, mainly because then they would be missing the story. Reporting a summary of a book didn't send me. At the same time, I chafed at the idea of having required reading because I wanted to read what I wanted to, not some arbitrary list.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Ann wrote: "Interesting thought on reading chapters to discuss in class rather than everyone writing a book report solo for required reading lists, Carol. I bet it would have made a difference.
It seemed that..."

they even make graphic novels of many classics now-at "my" school, the teachers use them in addition to print books when their classes read the odyssey, romeo and juliet. etc.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Sherry wrote: "they even make graphic novels of many classics now-at "my" school,..."

That's interesting, Sherry. How long are these graphic novels typically? I think extended comic books when I think graphic novels but would be interested in seeing one. Are they available for commercial sale in bookstores or on Amazon?

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "they even make graphic novels of many classics now-at "my" school,..."

That's interesting, Sherry. How long are these graphic novels typically? I think extended comic books when ..."

the graphic novels are the size of "regular" book and bound like a book. not sure of the exact page count but i'll check at work next week. i have one for the odyssey and one for romeo and juliet