Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > What do you think of "the black dagger brotherhood?" By J.R. Ward

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Horochowski  (victoriaelaina) | 13 comments Has anyone read this series?? Would you recommend it? Also.. What did you like or dislike about it? (Without giving anything big away).

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 87 comments It’s such a polarising series, but also one of the most popular paranormal romance/urban fantasy series around.

You’re either going to love it or hate it. I was a bit obsessed back when it first came out, but I was doing some rereading this week and… it’s pretty silly. The character names are ridiculous and every problem is solved by a deus ex machina. The villains are irritating (and called things like Mr X).

Yet it’s such a popular, popular series, and at one point I loved it (the first few books, anyway).
I don’t know… I guess it depends how much you like the "giant hero in leather" trope!

message 3: by PepperP0t (last edited Apr 25, 2014 11:15PM) (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments I agree with Sonya for the most part and I too love the series because it's escapist fun.

1) the names are ridiculous
2) parts of it is downright silly
3) the villains are there because you gotta have villains
4) they are badasses in leather
5) a lotta insta-love
6) it's a series you either love or hate
7) so much name-dropping you'd think you're in a mall
8) it took a while before the women went beyond their book and realized that they had skills and talents before BDB

I'd suggest plowing through a couple of reviews to see what you think. Kick back and try to enjoy the ride. I did a reread on some of the books recently and I still enjoy the series - for me it's fun and not at all close to the "real" vampire books - it's primarily a romance series with action/adventure and a few dramatic moments thrown in for fun.

what are you looking for? or were you just curious about this series?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments Great thoughts, Sonya and Pat.

Yep, it can be silly and even annoying with the Ward-Speak but I am still totally hooked on the series. Just read The King, book 12 in the series I think and it still has that can't put it down quality for me.

One extra point, the first ten or so books were probably what you call more "paranormal romance" - one couple's HEA dominated the books. At least the last couple of books probably since Lover Reborn have moved more into multiple POV's/storylines, nearly Urban Fantasy style and feature several couples' stories. This has turned a few readers off and also the fact that J R Ward doesn't always strictly stick to her world-building rules.

Give it a try, it's given me heaps of reading enjoyment and is still an auto-buy for me.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Not a fan. I read the first three books (mainly because friends encouraged me to continue at least until Zsadist's book) and called it quits.

The things that irritate me about it are the ridiculous villains, the idiotic dialogue, the weak plots and the stilted writing.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I didn't go beyond book one. I gave it a go, because so many people liked it, but it just wasn't me. I thought it was weak world building. I love pnr escapism but I wanted something more, maybe more gritty stuff. MYbe try the first one to see if it's for you, if we were all the same............

message 7: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Barone (maddybarone) | 74 comments The names are silly. I feel like the rules of the vampire world shift to suit the story. The last four (five?) books are unwieldy and the actual romance is lost. The way the brothers speak drives me nuts. I'm not sure anyone actually uses that kind slang, much less someone who grew up a couple of hundred years ago.

All that said, Lover Awakened is on my keeper shelf. The hero is so damaged, yet he truly loves the heroine.

message 8: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 9 comments I loved it, but my aim at the time was pure escapist reading. I think it's a great series for "lazy vacation" or "snowed in with nothing else to do" reading.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Holy, holy, holy cow! I can't believe my eyes! People that actually don't like the BDB series?? NO!, no it can't be. Did you know there are some places that would cut out your tongue for speaking ill of Ward.

As for me, the series started off OK but ITA with the other comments listed.

message 10: by Christina (last edited Apr 26, 2014 01:10PM) (new)

Christina Robinson | 8 comments I love it. The first book didn't get me until halfway through. It got way better from there. While I sill love the BDB The King was hard to read for me until after 150 pages. Seems like a lot more more POV switching. The brand dropping doesn't bother me at all and I'm not sure why it bothers so many so much. Once you get past the silly names they become normal like everyday names! I'm glad there is less of the lesser POV's, but I'm not liking the less hot sex scenes! I think Vishous broke her! I never thought anyone who read these books wouldn't like them until reading reviews on here either.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina (regalladysnow) | 40 comments I enjoy the series, but I must concede that it has its faults. The villains are poorly integrated into the story, so much so that they haven't even appeared in the last couple of books. The characters' names are also really cheesy, but I've learned to live with them. I must also admit that the plot has taken more than a few dives, and there are several of the books that I don't plan on ever picking up again. All in all, the series is enjoyable, but I've actually only stuck around for a few of the characters.

message 12: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 374 comments I love this series. I like period books, so even though this is set in modern times it takes you back periodically to "their" world in the past. This tact allowed me to accept the oddities in the series, like their names, places, societal roles etc. Ward asks us to accept the world and culture she has built and set aside the world "we" know .. to me that is what makes this a great series.

I teally like the turn she has made in writing style ... it keeps the series from getting stale ... They are not short books so I feel like I'm getting a few books in one. I will say, I would prefer more time spent on the MC's, but all in all I love it.

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Ok, this particular thread seems to be fairly "mild". I've posted in threads about this series before and actually feared that some of the maniacs members were going to hunt me down and kill me because I wasn't gung-ho Ward. (Do not even get me started on Ward herself. . .)

I tried reading book 1 three different times--got to about page 50 each time and threw the book at the wall because I could not take it any longer. I finally decided to just go to book 2 (many times 1 in a long series tends to be the weakest book in the series anyway, so I'll try book 2 just in case that's true of whatever the particular series it.) I did succeed in reading book 2. It only took me a week. . . When you consider that I usually read at least 1 book the same size as the BBD books a DAY--some times 1.5 books if it's a "bad day" (I have health issues that sometimes keep me from moving more than to the bathroom and back to bed.) So that gives you an idea of how well I liked that book. I only plowed through it because I kept thinking, 'There has to be something to this series or so many people wouldn't rave about them the way that they do.'

I will also admit to being somewhat OCD--so Ward's spelling problems, trouble with her sentence structure, inability to use proper English . . . . All these contributed to my total inability to read the books.

Also, I did not like the way that the females in the books were portrayed/treated.

We won't even talk about the villains. . . Can we say, that any villain who has a main component of their description being that they "smell like baby powder" has something seriously wrong with it. And they are totally ineffective, are not scary and as mentioned by one of the other posters--their names are laughable.

However, to give Ward her due--she has some of the best ideas for worlds and creatures that anyone could come up with. Her problem is--she can not WRITE. She should make her living by selling her ideas to people who CAN write. That way, she'll make a really good living and the world will get some great stories.

message 14: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, this particular thread seems to be fairly "mild". I've posted in threads about this series before and actually feared that some of the maniacs members were going to hunt me down and kill me bec..."

I feel that way about another popular series. and luckily we don't all like the same things or we'd have nothing to talk about.

message 15: by Lisa Loves Reading (last edited Apr 26, 2014 10:44PM) (new)

Lisa Loves Reading (lisamessegee) | 120 comments The names are silly and the language is annoying. But the books are addictive. Why else would they debut at #1 on the NYT Bestsellers list each time they come out?

I have favorite books (Qhuay!) and books I didn't like so much (V's, Tohr's), but that's the way it is with any series.

You won't know if you like BDB until you give it a shot. And if you don't like it, try Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds series.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Also, I did not like the way that the females in the books were portrayed/treated. "

Ditto. This is another reason I couldn't continue past book #3. The whole concept of The Chosen who seem to exist solely for the purpose of "serving" the brotherhood, and their subservient behavior is very off putting.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lisa Annesley wrote: "You won't know if you like BDB until you give it a shot. And if you don't like it, try Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds series. "

For me, Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is everything that the BDB isn't. Well-written, detailed world building, compelling characters, kick-ass heroines who can more than hold their own and villains who pose a substantial threat rather than smelling like baby powder.

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Shawn wrote: "I love this series. I like period books, so even though this is set in modern times it takes you back periodically to "their" world in the past. This tact allowed me to accept the oddities in the..."

I totally agree.

message 19: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments Lauren wrote: "Lisa Annesley wrote: "You won't know if you like BDB until you give it a shot. And if you don't like it, try Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds series. "

For me, Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is ..."

I agree Lauren, I like that each of the women have an independent purpose in Midnight Breed.

message 20: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 87 comments Lisa Annesley wrote: "And if you don't like it, try Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds series. "

I agree with that. When I discovered Adrian's series, I was thinking it was what the BDB should be. It has the whole hot vampire warrior thing, but without Mr A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P..., without characters who randomly turn into dragons, without heroines who (view spoiler), without grown men saying things like, 'I'm outie', without the most annoying Bella since Twilight...

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Horochowski  (victoriaelaina) | 13 comments Thanks guys! I guess I'll give it a shot! I'll try book one and see if I'm interested. I was looking for a good vampire romance series. I really enjoyed Twilight (don't laugh) and most of the Sookie Stackhouse books. (At least books 1-6). I like the whole romantic vampire culture, if you guys have any other suggestions, I'm definitely open. :) thanks again!!

message 22: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Horochowski  (victoriaelaina) | 13 comments I will definitely try the Midnight Breeds series! Thanks for the recommendation guys.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 192 comments Sonya Heaney wrote: "Lisa Annesley wrote: "And if you don't like it, try Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds series. "

I agree with that. When I discovered Adrian's series, I was thinking it was what the BDB should be. It h..."

Yes!!! I want to copy and frame that somewhere. You hit on everything that annoys me about BDB

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisancandice) | 32 comments Good strong vampire novels for me are Tessa Dawn, Blood Cursed series, Rebecca Zanettis Dark Protector series and D.B. Reynolds, Vampires in America series. Have good and strong females and have exceptional story lines.

message 25: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Horochowski  (victoriaelaina) | 13 comments Cool thanks Lisa! :) I'll add those to my list!

message 26: by Josephine (new)

Josephine McNabb | 17 comments I loved the BDB books when I first started reading them.. Wasn't loving a few, like Rhevenge's book and after John Matthews it just seemed to get far too complicated with so many different characters being named but not feeling very developed. But I did read The King and it reminded me why I fell in love with these books to begin with.. You gotta love a blind king who has a dog.. :)

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather Blair (lovelyshivers) | 31 comments I started this series because so many people seem obsessed with it, but so far it's been a little silly and rough. I am still making up my mind, tho. So we shall see. ;)

message 28: by ★Moonrise (new)

★Moonrise (moonrisebookblog) | 59 comments I absolutely love the BDB series! JR Ward's humor and writing style hooked me at book #1. Some books were better than others, but overall, it remains one of my all time favorites!

message 29: by sam (new)

sam (dudewhatever123) | 10 comments ***possible spoilers***

I personally love how ridiculous it is. How the names themselves are so out there but it let's you know right away what kind of people your dealing with, I mean you can't have a name like Zadist or Rhage and not be a serious badass, and the villains Mr. X and The Omega they sound like really bad comic book villain names, and I kinda like that. And I absolutely fell in love with Zadist from his first words in the series "Get off my dick", I died laughing and its been true love ever since.

I'll admit the first book isn't as good as the others, but don't let that discourage you, they get better(BUT IM ONLY ON BOOK THREE SO I CANT SAY HOW THE REST ARE)

The only real problem that consistently bothers me is the language, it doesn't seem natural. And all the name dropping makes it seem like the author is trying to overcompensate for what she has no real experience with, which is probably the case. I think she's writhing characters too different then what she has real world experience with and that's showing in her writing... But then again what do I know, I could be full of shit and just made an ass of myself, and if I am feel free to tell me so.

message 30: by ★Moonrise (new)

★Moonrise (moonrisebookblog) | 59 comments I loved Zadist, too! There were a few trying-too-hard moments (Sorry, but can't see Z singing a Journey song, or any of the brothers wearing Ed Hardy), but nothing that wrecked it for me. The intentionally badass names, as well as those of the villains, do seem fitting, and give the series a sort of neo-noir vibe.

message 31: by ☆Eiko (new)

☆Eiko (sillytachi) | 15 comments I've been trying to get into the series because of such high recommendations, but I just can't seem to get into the story. The names are a bit ridiculous (I'm sorry devoted fans :'( ) it's just, I can't take serious a person named 'Zadist' or 'Rahge' or however the names are spelled. The heroes are very alpha, that they remind me a bit like Christine Feehan's books, they dominate the entire relationship, and leave no breathing room for the heroine. But then, I never do find out what happens through the book, as I have never completed a single one. I just wish that series was for me as well :'(

message 32: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 87 comments Rachel wrote: "Yes!!! I want to copy and frame that somewhere. You hit on everything that annoys me about BDB"

:) :)
I think my reading tastes have definitely changed a huge amount since this series first came out. I expect more and more realism and common sense (even in PNR/UF) than I did years ago. Back then I read about these enormous men walking around ‘being tough’ and thought: Cool! Now I read about them and think: This is preposterous!

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather Blair (lovelyshivers) | 31 comments ☆Eiko wrote: "I've been trying to get into the series because of such high recommendations, but I just can't seem to get into the story. The names are a bit ridiculous (I'm sorry devoted fans :'( ) it's just, I ..."

OMG, yes! That is exactly it, they are like a cool music vid, but the music is all flash and no substance!

message 34: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) Sonya Heaney wrote: "Back then I read about these enormous men walking around ‘being tough’ and thought: Cool! Now I read about them and think: This is preposterous! "

Guess that BDB set the bar for paranormal heroes physical characterization. Their height must.. at last almost 7 feet tall! I'm an Asian, so that make me feel overwhelmed.
Don't forget about leather clothes and coat. Dudeee....

message 35: by Shy (new)

Shy (xnevermorebride) | 24 comments I've read a few of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books, and about the only ones I really liked were those of Zsadist and Butch, mostly because I love Zsadist and Marissa was a heroine I quite enjoyed seeing for once. The others were just kind of meh were because of the language/the brothers speak and the lesser point of views are really boring to me to read.

message 36: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 9 comments Not a huge fan. I've read the series except The King. The dialogue was torture sometimes and the villains were very weak! I enjoyed the Midnight Breed series much better. They have a lot of similarities but in my opinion Adrian is the better author.

message 37: by Shy (new)

Shy (xnevermorebride) | 24 comments Agreed Jessica =/ I often found myself cringing at the dialogue because it just seemed so out of place and unnatural at times and a lot of it I just skipped over because of how terrible it was. I started rolling my eyes every time I heard 'my brother' or 'you feel me' pop up. The lessers were tedious and have made about the worst villains I've ever seen period.

message 38: by Scrap (new)

Scrap | 1 comments sam wrote: "***possible spoilers***

I personally love how ridiculous it is. How the names themselves are so outhemu know right away what kind of people your dealing with, I mean you can't h..."

I love the BDB series and yes zsadist got me in book one lol there are lol moments in all books even had to read them to hubby because i was laughing so hard I read all the series in a little over a week and a half they are a can't put down series for me ' now another good series that is a must read is Christine feehan dark series

message 39: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments I really liked the first few, but then started getting annoyed/bored, then the last few have been really good. I took a break from the series, and maybe it refreshed it for me.
A lot of rough language, plenty of sex and violence in this series.

message 40: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 20 comments I was hooked from the first BDB book. How can you not be? Hot men, hot names, hot sex.

message 41: by Liaden (new)

Liaden | 10 comments I really enjoy a few books in the series the first of course and the last, I guess I like Wrath. Zsadist's book was by far my favorite I think it was the back story that got me and they didn't do the whole insta-love crap that some of the others did. Also enjoyed parts of V's story until the whole ghost bit then it kinda seemed a bit too far fetched lol even I have my limits. I couldn't agree more the Midnight Breed series is great and the storyline in my opinion is very interesting I enjoyed all the books. I think people enjoy Z's book most because of the tortured soul bit, if your looking for a truly heart wrenching back story try reading Acheron- its the 14th book in the Dark Hunter series. But easy to pick up and just read without having to trudge through the others. Well I got off topic sorry. I enjoy BDB and I would still recommend it.