David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Chit Chat > Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Starting a fun thread...tell us something interesting about yourself!

Its fun to get to know you all better :)

message 2: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

My hubby and my first date was actually on Valentine's Day! 18 years ago :)

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments One of my favourite sports is curling!

message 4: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Cool, Daniel! Do you play or are you just a spectator?

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I play a little, but I mainly just watch it on TV. It's much harder than it looks.

message 6: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I love watching MMA!

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Mixed Martial Arts?

message 8: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Harrah | 379 comments To get math credit in college I studied the various equations in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, among a few others found in Carroll's works.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

ehh whats interesting?
I geuss the fact that I won a book competition earlier this yerar is interesting? but unfortunately I got 10 books as the prize and only interested in 3-4 of them.

message 10: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments Yes!

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Cool Harlee!

WOW, that's very interesting, A.C.! I don't think I ever would have come up with that, but using your love for books in math is so awesome!

That is so cool Oda! You also get bragging right :)

message 12: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments That is so cool A.C.!

message 13: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments I love to enter giveaways, and when I spent a whole year just crazy entering them I won:money, homemade gifts, toys, books, food and jewelry. I was suprised at how much you can actually win things off the internet when you really put the time in, even if it's only an hour a day. All the major companies are always giving out freebies, and having giveaways. I won a pedicure set from Tweezerman and it was amazing! I also won a nookie for my son when he was young from Nuk! There are so many contests and giveaway blogs. I stopped after awhile and went back to reading and now just book giveaways but I've won 12 books + off of goodreads. I was also way into coupons for awhile and became an extreme coupon mom for awhile. Now I am extreme reading, reviewing, entering book giveaways, and coloring. Coloring is my stress relief! Mandalas are fun.. if only you could see the amount of pens/pencils I have lol..

message 14: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Oda wrote: "ehh whats interesting?
I geuss the fact that I won a book competition earlier this yerar is interesting? but unfortunately I got 10 books as the prize and only interested in 3-4 of them."

Congrats!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Meghan wrote: "Oda wrote: "ehh whats interesting?
I geuss the fact that I won a book competition earlier this yerar is interesting? but unfortunately I got 10 books as the prize and only interested in 3-4 of ..."

thanks. :D
the competition was make up a story of why a sale had its name( here in norway we have a sale called the mammut sale, competotion was to make up a story of why). so yes, am still happy :D

message 16: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I'm kind of addicted to enter book giveaways lol

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Harlee wrote: "I'm kind of addicted to enter book giveaways lol"

me too.
1 enter a few every month but havent won yet :/

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments I've somehow been lucky enough to win 27 books through the Goodreads giveaway/First reads program, though all 27 haven't arrived yet. :D

I've been introduced to some pretty awesome authors this way! :)

message 19: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I've won a few, it's just so addicting!

message 20: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I look for ones outside of Goodreads too like on Twitter.

message 21: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Wow that's a great, what kinds of books did you win? I honestly don't think it's random because.. of the end of the saying in the rules, where winners are decided by the state of the moon lol. I have gotten Thillers/Crime, Fantasy (fav author Xanth novel), Warcraft, Wisconsin books, a Christian book, a lawyers blog book but it's hilarious. Some historical books. And a lot of fantasy and ya, horror from R4R.

message 22: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Harlee wrote: "I've won a few, it's just so addicting!"
SO addicting especially after you've won one! I have an inkling that the top reviewers get the most and best books, and also the variety of the to read and read shelfs.

message 23: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Lauren wrote: "I've somehow been lucky enough to win 27 books through the Goodreads giveaway/First reads program, though all 27 haven't arrived yet. :D

I've been introduced to some pretty awesome authors this wa..."

Lauren I checked your profile and I can see why you've won a lot :) Also added you as a friend!

message 24: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Harlee I added you as a friend too ;)

message 25: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments Thanks just accepted! I try and enter book giveaways only if I'm interested in the book. I've only won 3 off of Goodreads, 2 ARC's Tin Star and some other one I can't remember (and realized I probably won't like it after flipping through it) Loved Tin Star! All the other books I've won I got from other sites.

message 26: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

When I was 13 I won a juvenile short story contest. I can't remember if it was a national one or not, my teacher submitted my story for me. And then it was published in some juvenile writers type of journal. I don't know what happened to it...

So that's my writer's claim to fame lol :)

Rose (LittleBookOwl) (roselittlebookowl) | 1370 comments @Harlee I must be unlucky. I've entered to win about 15 books off the Goodreads giveaway already & won none :( I'm still entering but not having any luck.

Something interesting about myself....I'm 4 foot 10 :-) I also have run three 5k races!

message 28: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments Wow I'd love to get into running! I have dreams about running sometimes...like Edward Cullen running lol it's weird!

message 29: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments I enter goodreads giveaways every day, and decided not to always add to my read shelf unless I really really wanna read it. But I have 15 pages of entries already. The more you enter, the more chances to win, I always look for low entries and high volume of books like 75-100 that's helped me at least once. If you really want to read something and you don't get picked, and the author is doing the giveaway, It never hurts to ask, that's how I got one even though I didn't win ;) I will have to try more outside goodreads though, I signed up on some ya publishers websites. The more books on your shelves, the more books you review and participate will up your chances as well.

Congrats Jenny, any win is awesome! Thanks Harlee and Oda and Lauren!

message 30: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one doesn't doesn't add all of them to my tbr shelf. I only do the ones I would actually look for after released. I've won 22 from firstreads and idk how many from authors and blogs.

Something interesting about me is I hated working but I'm fine with constantly volunteering at different places.

Rose (LittleBookOwl) (roselittlebookowl) | 1370 comments Thanks Harlee and Meghan. I will keep trying! @Harlee I started running with the Couch to 5k app on my iPod!

message 32: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I need to do something like that, Rose! Get back in shape, I actually was at one time, but that feels so long ago!

message 33: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Harrah | 379 comments ☆Joycedale☆ wrote: "I'm glad I'm not the only one doesn't doesn't add all of them to my tbr shelf. I only do the ones I would actually look for after released. I've won 22 from firstreads and idk how many from authors..."

Yup, you're definitely not the only one who doesn't add every book to their TBR shelf. I do it too, or maybe I should say I don't do it too? Lol.

Also, that's interesting that you prefer volunteering over working.

Rose (LittleBookOwl) (roselittlebookowl) | 1370 comments Jenny wrote: "I need to do something like that, Rose! Get back in shape, I actually was at one time, but that feels so long ago!"

@Jenny Couch to 5K is an app that takes you from the beginning as if you've never ran and teaches you slowly to run farther and farther distances. After I got used to it I started using Map My Run to track my miles. I haven't actually run since this past fall as I hurt my Achilles running and had to have physical therapy on it. I want to start again, just haven't done it yet, am kind of worried about injuring myself again.

message 35: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Rfuentes wrote: "Thanks Harlee and Meghan. I will keep trying! @Harlee I started running with the Couch to 5k app on my iPod!"

No problem, im sure if you need any help or have questions we can answer them! Good luck with running, it's quite an accomplishment, for me I can't stand running lol im awful at it. I like walking though.

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Meghan wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I've somehow been lucky enough to win 27 books through the Goodreads giveaway/First reads program, though all 27 haven't arrived yet. :D

I've been introduced to some pretty awesome ..."

I accepted your friend request, Meghan! Good to meet you. :)

It's mostly due to luck and I think the more you participate on GR the higher your chances - probably the same if you've read other things by the same author or similar titles.

Of my wins I would say my favorites have been Light in the Gloaming (Book One) by J.B. Simmons , Trickster (Ustari Cycle, #1) by Jeff Somers , Full Blooded (Jessica McClain, #1) by Amanda Carlson , Infected (Infected, #1) by Scott Sigler , and best of all Half Bad (Half Life, #1) by Sally Green .

message 37: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I have never won anything either...and I read A LOT, am very active, and write plenty of reviews...so who knows what the formula is?

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Jenny wrote: "I have never won anything either...and I read A LOT, am very active, and write plenty of reviews...so who knows what the formula is?"

Luck of the draw, I guess.

message 39: by Divya (new)

Divya An interesting thing about me is.....
Lol, there is nothing I can remember!
I play a guitar.

message 40: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

That's cool, Divya, and I'm jealous :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Hhmmm... Something interesting? I used to teach scuba diving. I'm a Divemaster. :)

message 42: by Kaylani (last edited Apr 27, 2014 12:06AM) (new)

Kaylani (cityeclectics) | 297 comments I have a service cat. No you didn't read that wrong.

He is a service animal, that is a cat. My state has laws protecting cats for people who don't have the ability to take care of dogs.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 28, 2014 02:52AM) (new)

Jenny wrote: "I have never won anything either...and I read A LOT, am very active, and write plenty of reviews...so who knows what the formula is?"

I think one of the things that help is if you write reviews often. if you just give star ratings its less likely for you to win. one of the reasons authors hold give away is to get word out and if you only give star ratings I think it lowers yoyre chances. I have started writing reviews lately instead of just giving stars.

message 44: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

@Karen--so so cool!!

@Kaylani--I can believe, I think cats are way smarter than dogs!

I thought of something else interesting! I attended my grandparents wedding. Before I was born, my mom's parents got divorced--the divorce was actually final the day before my parents got married.

Then several years later, they got back together :) They got remarried when I was 6 at the courthouse. My mom, my uncle, and my sister and I were the witnesses. I have a great pic of us all together, its one of my favorites!

My grandfather passed away 3 years ago, and my grandma last year :( I still really miss them! They lived 3 blocks away from our house while I was growing up, so I saw them just about every day!

message 45: by Kaylani (new)

Kaylani (cityeclectics) | 297 comments Time for more interesting things!!!!

I was adopted at 3 and have memories from before, which helped my adoptive parents court case against my foster mother.

And I can put my cat in a bag like one of those purse dogs and he just chills. :3

message 46: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Kaylani wrote: "I have a service cat. No you didn't read that wrong.

He is a service animal, that is a cat. My state has laws protecting cats for people who don't have the ability to take care of dogs.

https:/..."

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard. I believe cats are really smart. How does your service cat help you and what is his/her name? I have a black cat named Anthony and he is a polydactyl. He also I am told is a good cat since he has a few white hairs.

message 47: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Oda wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I have never won anything either...and I read A LOT, am very active, and write plenty of reviews...so who knows what the formula is?"

I think one of the things that help is if you wr..."

me too

message 48: by Mkittysamom (new)

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 77 comments Lauren wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I've somehow been lucky enough to win 27 books through the Goodreads giveaway/First reads program, though all 27 haven't arrived yet. :D

I've been introduced to some ..."

Wow those are really cool books, I really wanted to read half blood. I tried downloading it off the internet and couldn't understand it.
In A Cream Packard by Edward Hackemer The Katydid Effect by Edward Hackemer A Bridge to Cross by Edward Hackemer (these came with soundtracks too!!) The Entertainer Movies, Magic, and My Father's Twentieth Century by Margaret Talbot The Ballad of a Small Player by Lawrence Osborne Fear Itself by Dan Greenburg Be Real Because Fake Is Exhausting by Rick Bezet and The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance And Other Real Laws That Human Beings Actually Dreamed Up, Enacted, and Sometimes Even Enforced by Kevin Underhill These are the books I have from GR 1st Reads I am reviewing now ;)

message 49: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 48 comments I've been to 11 different countries and can sing in 9 different languages. And if I weren't studying to be an elementary teacher, I would be either a psychologist of family counselor.

message 50: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

WOW, that's so impressive, Katherine!

« previous 1