The Expanded Universe discussion

General EU Stuff > The Expanded Universe Is Being Reset

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (last edited Apr 25, 2014 03:05PM) (new)

Benjamin So the new owners of all things Star Wars have just announced a reset of the EU.

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendar...

This article states that all EU content to this point is going to be set aside, will receive the label LEGENDARY, can be referenced (citing a few examples of canon that does) but no future creative development is beholden to it. They have ruled canon to this point to be the movies and TV shows. And the kick off of the new/reset EU will be novel that is a precursor to Rebels.

In another release, they say that the new books going forward will be considered canon. http://starwars.com/news/disney-publi...

I haven't read EU in a while...in fact I stopped shortly after the end of New Jedi Order series. But this seems like an interesting place to jump back in. Kind of like the New 52 that DC did. But curious other fans' reaction. Angry? Okay? Curious?

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren Very exciting times ahead. The release of new books has dried up lately. I guess this was to allow for them to plan all this out. I have no problem with a reset. The EU flourished at a time when there were no movies. I love reading the books but honestly don't want some of that content being referenced in the new films. Just think, no more arguing over how to retcon a particular event or character!

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 53 comments I am looking forward to this.

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Lahn (jwlahn) | 18 comments lol This is the first time I've seen positive comments about this change from fellow fans. I think this will be an interesting reboot of the universe. It'll be interesting to see how much of the old EU gets reimagined in the new Universe. I like the comparison to the DC New 52. Might also see elements of Marvel's Ultimate Universe. But it's going to take a while to get used to. A lot of the EU was background info to "explain" events or references in the canon films. For example, Darth Bane and the Rule of Two. And now that Darth Bane has appeared in the Clone Wars series, how much of his established background is going to carry forward?

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin I'm also pleased to see positive reaction. My friend is pissed and saying he won't go see the new movie. Psh... We know we'll all be there. But he is mad about losing some characters. I think some will carry forward. Whether reimagined, who can say? Darth Bane is a good example.

Yah the old EU just got weird and that's why I stopped. Very hit or miss. Prequel movies didn't help the matter.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments I hate to be the negative one here, but I'm not happy about this. I definitely will be going to see the new movies, though. I can't wait for those. I'm just disappointed because I put a lot of time and money into these books and really enjoy many of them. It's sad to hear that everything you've read doesn't matter anymore and that it will not be continued. Especially when you really enjoy some of the characters brought in by the EU. I hope, though, that they do a good job with the upcoming books and movies. I don't think I'll be able to get into the new books, though. I've read so much and to read something that maybe completely contradict what you have previously read can get confusing. I hope you all will enjoy them, though.

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody | 19 comments I can understand people being upset about the status of EU. However, I'm not one of them. I've read most all of the EU novels, loved a lot of the it and was looking forward to seeing Jaina Solo as the 'Sword of the Jedi." But I'm excited about new stories. The way I see it is the EU stories are still there to enjoy. Zahn's trilogy, Darth Plagueis and many other works will always be great reads.

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob I see both sides. I went through my own phase of bitterness with Karen Traviss and what the Clone Wars did to the Mandos. I still think her works are better creatively speaking than what Lucas and company came up with.

But even though the novels don't "count", I still really enjoyed them an would recommend them.

That said, I only read two books after that debacle, Kenobi and Darth Plagueis.

It is worth noting that this isn't really a reboot. Some stories may become canonized in the future, albeit with some changes perhaps. The Thrawn Trilogy could still be perfectly viable.

But to have an open slate for the future is exciting. We won't have this again so let's enjoy considering the possible.

message 9: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia aka Taurendil (theanastasia) http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/am...

^-- Something to see if you're interested in the SW movies and want to know about their popularity or which characters people don't like!

message 10: by Joe (new)

Joe Hempel (joehempel) | 7 comments Here's what I'm finding out....I read both a New Dawn and Tarkin (ARC from publisher), there is room for BOTH....what the new EU is doing now is filling in stuff largely untouched by the old EU....I wouldn't be too worried about things. Based on these two books and the preview I've read of Heir to the Jedi, it's in good hands.