Time Travel discussion

Games, Questions, & Challenges > Time Travel Drinking Game

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Here are the rules:
Every time someone inappropriately mentions a book they've written, you get to take a drink.

What beverage is appropriate for this drinking game?
Whatever is at hand. It need not be alcoholic (although that might help).

When is it appropriate to mention your book?
1. In a discussion thread dedicated to your book. These belong in the Time Travel Books By Members section.
2. Monthly Book Giveaways for your book only
3. Games and Challenges if your book can be the answer to a game or challenge question
4. Picking Monthly Books if you want to nominate your book for an appropriate category
5. Free or Cheap Time Travel eBooks if you're offering a free or cheap copy of your book
6. Member Introductions if you're introducing yourself for the first time
7. Time Travel at the Movies or Short Online Time Travel Films if your book is getting made into a short film or movie
8. Non Time Travel Books By Group Members
9. When a discussion topic is directly related to your book. For example, someone asks, "Have you read any books about time traveling to kill Hitler?" And you could reply that your book, in fact, contains a time traveler who attempts to do just that.

When is it inappropriate to mention your book?
In an other case. For example, the following will drive us to drink: "You've got blue eyes? What a coincidence; so does a character in my book."

message 2: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
Hahaha. I think we could get good and sloshed on a lot of these threads.

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Michael Lewis (timothymichaellewis) | 101 comments How long before someone mentions there is a drinking game in their novel in chapter 17?

message 4: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
*takes a drink*

just testing

message 5: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Michael Lewis (timothymichaellewis) | 101 comments That's chapter 18...

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 15 comments If this started in other Discussion groups I could not sign on to Goodreads without a full bottle of wine handy. Maybe more

message 7: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Diana wrote: "If this started in other Discussion groups I could not sign on to Goodreads without a full bottle of wine handy. Maybe more"

Ha. Maybe we can nip it before it goes full bottle around here. I'm all for self-promotion, but there's a point where it does an author more harm than good... and drives people away from the group.

message 8: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 188 comments Amy wrote: "Here are the rules:...
6. Member Introductions if you're introducing yourself for the first time..."

Everybody drink!!!

Paul wrote: "Welcome to our group. As a voracious reader of time travel since I read Isaac Asimov's The End of Eternity when 12, and as a writer of time travel since my novel [book:The Plot to Sa..."

message 9: by Howard (last edited Aug 16, 2014 06:28AM) (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Amy, I see from your recent posts that you have changed your mind & are now into Short Stories & to the point that you may write some.

Very good for you.

I further discern, however, that you fail to impose the drinking rule on any other member of the group that mentions their books.

Very good for me.

My record remains both sterling & unmatched.

message 11: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Howard wrote: "Have one on me, #12:"

Howard, you are a smart guy so you obviously can discern the point of the "drinking game" post. Groups that get overrun by self promotion get tedious quickly and there are certainly plenty of those on Goodreads. If you really feel the need to promote your works with all of your comments or take personal offense to the rule, by all means channel all that into new and interesting posts about your works on your own designated threads. People really like your books and are happy to discuss them on those threads. Or by all means promote away in other groups that don't have this rule. Simply posting "Have one on me," and then disregarding the rule obviously misses the point of the rule entirely. (largely since we never seem to have actual drinks to enjoy when you do it.) I'm sorry that you feel that this rule is unfair to you specifically. It is in no way designed to target any one particular member or offender. It is just a general guideline for all members. Please abide by it by adding fresh content to threads and not merely referring users to other comments you have made or books you have written to express your points.
Thank you.

message 12: by Nathan, First Tiger (last edited Feb 05, 2015 02:55PM) (new)

Howard, I deleted your comment on the thread you referenced, not because it was referencing your book but because it was frankly unpleasant and mean.

(I also deleted one of Amy's on accident because I am apparently bad at deleting things. Goes to show how rarely I resort to that.)

If you would like to repost your thoughts about the book, please do, minus the derogatory comments about other members' posts.

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Meehl (brian_meehl) | 12 comments Does a Narcissus who goes to a pool for a drink and only sees a reflection of his own book get to drink too?