All About Books discussion

50 views
General Archive > My first Trollope

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Hi everyone
I feel and I am sure that not having read a book by Anthony Trollope I am missing out on some great literature. I want to start with the very best one and I am hoping you clever lot can help.
What I want to know is which one is the best and why?


message 2: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Ooo! I definitely have some ideas here :) But I think our Queen Of Trollope literature, Laura, will have the best suggestions. (Will add my twopenno'rth later, if it's not all been said.)

P.S. You'll love him, Tracey ;)


message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments I knew you would be of help here Jean. I will wait in eager anticipation for your thoughts. :)


message 4: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
I'm here I'm here!!!!
Yes Trollope is my love!!! But I'm sure Jean would have as good ideas as I have.
I fell in love with him reading the first of the Barset novels, The Warden who was suggested me by a neurologist I met at a meeting I was working in - as a hostess, not as a doctor.
The whole series is I think great, but almost as good are the Palliser novels - starting with Can You Forgive Her?.
Generally The Way We Live Now is considered his masterpiece, but I didn't like it as much as others.
In the end I'd stick to my first idea: start with The Warden


message 5: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I'm in complete agreement! My personal favourite is the second Barsetshire novel, Barchester Towers, but it doesn't make nearly as much sense if you haven't read The Warden first. And The Warden is very short :)

Several of us (Leslie?) love The Pallisers series too.

There are lots of stand-alone novels which I'm sure Laura could talk about :D


message 6: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Jean wrote: "I'm in complete agreement! My personal favourite is the second Barsetshire novel, Barchester Towers, but it doesn't make nearly as much sense if you haven't read [book:The Warden|2671..."

Mine as well!!!!


message 7: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Tracey, I would also like to read a Trollope, for the same reason as you, I feel I'm missing out!

So, I wouldn't mind joining you, if I may?


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello! Another person who wants to join in a Trollope. I've had The Warden on my list for a while but I'm open to anything.


message 9: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I really enjoyed The Way We Live Now.


message 10: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
See? Trollope is an evergreen!!!!


message 11: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I remember that Gill! I want to read that too, but it's so long :(

Can't forget the great David Suchet as Augustus Melmotte though :)


message 12: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Jean wrote: "I remember that Gill! I want to read that too, but it's so long :(

Can't forget the great David Suchet as Augustus Melmotte though :)"


Yes, that's right. I rather preferred the BBC version of it!


message 13: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) What always surprises me is how "chatty" and colloquial his language is. Even in the titles, such as He Knew He Was Right. He sounds so modern!


message 14: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments You lot restore my faith in mankind :) Shirley, Heather if you want to do a readalong in a month or so I would love to have you along for our first time. I think I will go with The Warden as Laura suggests. Let me know if beginning of June is ok and We can add it to the readalong thread.
Thank you so much Laura and Jean :)


message 15: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Yes. I think that his dialogs can be compared to thosu of Jane Austen


message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Tracey wrote: "You lot restore my faith in mankind :) Shirley, Heather if you want to do a readalong in a month or so I would love to have you along for our first time. I think I will go with The Warden as Laura ..."

I'd be happy with that!


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

June sounds wonderful. I have the book on my kindle already


message 18: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Heather wrote: "June sounds wonderful. I have the book on my kindle already"

Oh that's a point, is it free on kindle?


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a Trollope collection which I think I paid about £2 for so The Warden on its own might be quite cheap/free


message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Tracey, a beginner with Trollope as well so I don't have any real insights to offer but did enjoy the one that I've read with Leslie last year: The Way We Live Now

BTW: hope you don't mind Tracey, I've moved this thread to 'Book Chat' folder.
Also we have a brand new thread since last week for this kind of question (don't worry, it's so new hardly anyone knows) here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


message 21: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Jenny wrote: "Tracey, a beginner with Trollope as well so I don't have any real insights to offer but did enjoy the one that I've read with Leslie last year: The Way We Live Now

BTW: hope you don'..."


I was just thinking the same, Jenny!


message 22: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Heather wrote: "I have a Trollope collection which I think I paid about £2 for so The Warden on its own might be quite cheap/free"

Just checked and it is free, always a bonus!


message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Ahh Jenny no matter how long I am here I will never manoeuvre my way around. :( Might be because I use my phone mostly. Anyway sorry for sticking it in the wrong place and thank you for rescuing it to the safety of book chat :) yaaay Trollope hear we come lol


message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments LOL Tracey, don't worry! :) And enjoy Trollope n°1!!


message 25: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/autho...
Here you find all his books in Project Gutenberg, dowloadable also in .mobi


message 26: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments LauraT I only read 'real' books but thank you for that. I am sure lots of people on here will be glad of the link. :)


message 27: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Tracey wrote: "LauraT I only read 'real' books but thank you for that. I am sure lots of people on here will be glad of the link. :)"

You don't know what you loose! ;)
To be able of finding a book in a second ... Mmm for greedy persons like me nothing more tempting ...


message 28: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments LauraT I am certain I miss out on lots of bargains but I love my house crammed full of books. Old fashioned maybe but for me it's how books are meant to be read.


message 29: by LauraT (last edited Apr 29, 2014 01:25AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
;) - but my house is now too overcrammed with books! I don't have room for them anymore: for each new one that enters one has to go ... and it's not this easy since they're all divided for literatures and countries: therefore if I buy an english book it is an english book that has to go away!!!


message 30: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) LauraT wrote: ";) - but my house is now too overcrammed with books! I don't have room for them anymore: for each new one that enters one has to go ... and it's not this easy since they're all divided for literatu..."

I know what you mean! I didn't even like to visit a bookshop anymore, because I had no room for another book, so I couldn't buy anything. Since a few years I have an ereader and it not only saves a lot of space in the house, but also a lot of money. There are so many books free downloadalble (I get greedy too!) I have so many ebooks, it would take me about 8 years (at least) to read them all ;)!


message 31: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments ahh LauraT if only I lived closer I would find a very good home for your unwanted books ;) A bit like an animal sanctuary but for literature. ha ha :)


message 32: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Love it Tracey :D

Quite honestly I don't see the problem. Surely there's room for all preferences? I just like the fact that we have choices :)


message 33: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments My sentiments exactly Jean. :) I did see that today Harper Lee has given permission for To Kill a Mockingbird to be put onto audio and download. So if she has been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century maybe just maybe (not) there is hope for me!!


message 34: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Tracey wrote: "My sentiments exactly Jean. :) I did see that today Harper Lee has given permission for To Kill a Mockingbird to be put onto audio and download. So if she has been dragged kicking and screaming int..."

Yes, I heard that yesterday too.

Are we going for September for reading this, Tracey?


message 35: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Shirley wrote: "Tracey wrote: "My sentiments exactly Jean. :) I did see that today Harper Lee has given permission for To Kill a Mockingbird to be put onto audio and download. So if she has been dragged kicking an..."

Yes Shirley definitely. :)


message 36: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Ah, now, for authors I have a different answer. Elsewhere here I expressed annoyance at Harper Lee's earlier attitude. It's difficult though. When does an author lose moral "ownership" of their book? Or do they ever?

I felt in her case she probably hadn't thought through the implications of denying everyone access to her classic novel. She seems a very moral person, so it didn't ring true.

What? September for Trollope? Then I'm in! Readalong? Group classic read? An informal buddy read? Just let me know :)


message 37: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Jean wrote: "Ah, now, for authors I have a different answer. Elsewhere here I expressed annoyance at Harper Lee's earlier attitude. It's difficult though. When does an author lose moral "ownership" of their boo..."

Excellent - it will be a readalong. Have you read it before, Jean?


message 38: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Yes (sorry!) There are lots of Trollopes I haven't though! Not like Laura :)


message 39: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jean wrote: "I'm in complete agreement! My personal favourite is the second Barsetshire novel, Barchester Towers, but it doesn't make nearly as much sense if you haven't read [book:The Warden|2671..."

I didn't really like The Warden but I loved the second book Barchester Towers! I do agree with Jean that it is much better to read The Warden first though...

I didn't like the Palliser series as much, and have been dragging my feet on finishing it (only one book left to go).

Just a bit of trivia, but apparently Trollope wrote more books than Dickens, Thackeray, and Collins combined!


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie wrote: "Jean wrote: "I'm in complete agreement! My personal favourite is the second Barsetshire novel, Barchester Towers, but it doesn't make nearly as much sense if you haven't read [book:Th..."

Wow! That is an impressive stat. I almost hope I don't like him them as I'm not sure I want all those books adding to my TBR list!


message 41: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) That is fairly amazing, Leslie! I knew he'd written a lot - but those authors were pretty prolific too! Wow!


message 42: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Elsbeth wrote: "LauraT wrote: ";) - but my house is now too overcrammed with books! I don't have room...I know what you mean! I didn't even like to visit a bookshop anymore, because I had no room for another book, so I couldn't buy anything. Since a few years I have an ereader and it not only saves a lot of space in the house, but also a lot of money. There are so many books free downloadalble (I get greedy too!) I have so many ebooks, it would take me about 8 years (at least) to read them all ;)! "

Same sensation!


message 43: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Just a bit of trivia, but apparently Trollope wrote more books than Dickens, Thackeray, and Collins combined! "

I know!!! And helps my panic feeling of "running out" of Trollope!


message 44: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) I read both the Barset and Palliser series last year, and loved them. I have The Way We Live Now to read next month.


message 45: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) Trollope...Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!


message 46: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Yes indeed Paula! ;-)


message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Rebecca wrote: "I read both the Barset and Palliser series last year, and loved them. I have The Way We Live Now to read next month."

I liked that quite a lot :) Enjoy!


back to top