Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Need Book Recommendations > Need recommendation on any PNR with older characters?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becki (new)

Becki (bookwormbecki) | 11 comments I'm down with the YA and all but I'm hitting 40 and find I need something more out of the books. I'd like the characters to be at least 30 so I can sort of relate.

message 2: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Wilson Becki wrote: "I'm down with the YA and all but I'm hitting 40 and find I need something more out of the books. I'd like the characters to be at least 30 so I can sort of relate. "

Hey Becki! I know exactly what you mean. :) Have you checked out my Deathless Night Series Blood Hunger (Deathless Night Series #1) by L.E. Wilson Blood Vengeance (Deathless Night Series #2) by L.E. Wilson Blood Obsession (Deathless Night Series #3) by L.E. Wilson ? All of the characters are mid-late twenties (at the youngest) and up. :) Here are the links if you'd like to check them out. :) They're all available on KU also.

http://amzn.to/1QF1ABS
http://amzn.to/1QF1Roq
http://amzn.to/1NOagFf

message 3: by Becki (new)

Becki (bookwormbecki) | 11 comments Perfect! I will check these out! Thanks!

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Kurdziel | 13 comments LOL 30 is older? :)

message 5: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda Well, I'm older than 40 and I still enjoy YA.

message 6: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I have a love/hate relationship with YA.
I think it all depends on the maturity of the main character.

I'm only 25 and find myself drawn more towards New Adult/Adult novels instead of Young Adult.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 20 comments Isabel Jordan's series Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations Book 1) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, Book 2) by Isabel Jordan has a heroine that is 30 (by book 2) and an interesting secondary character (who will be getting her own book this year) that is 40. Honestly, I haven't found any PNR with a heroine older than that. Seems like genre age discrimination, huh? Give these a try, though. It's good, light and funny PNR (with just the right amount of angst-y brooding from the hot hero!)

message 8: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Hear that writers!?!?!?

30+ is a mostly untapped age group, and you have willing readers!

message 9: by Becki (new)

Becki (bookwormbecki) | 11 comments Thanks Jennifer! Sounds like what I'm looking for. I have a lot of great ideas but I can't write. What I'm really looking for is a book with a hot 40 yr old who's secretly something paranormal (werewolf, vampire, whatever) but his wife and family have no clue. Now his past is sneaking up behind him And he and his wife are kinda drifting apart. Plus he's also dealing with his back-talking 13-yr-old, hormonal 11-yr-old and just plain loud and crazy 9-yr-old...OMG! I think I'm just talking about my life minus the paranormal part!

message 10: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Wilson Jennifer wrote: "Isabel Jordan's series Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations Book 1) by Isabel JordanSemi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, Book 2) by Isabel Jordan has a heroine that is 30 (by book 2) and an interesting secondary character (who will be getting her own book..."

I second this recommendation! I love these books also. :)

message 11: by Lis (new)

Lis | 4 comments I tend to like darker PNR and UF series... One that comes to mind is the Charlie Madigan series by Kelly Gay. First book in the series is The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay

Adult UF, Charlie Madigan is a divorced mother of one, and a kick-ass cop trained to take down the toughest human and off-world criminals.

message 12: by Becki (new)

Becki (bookwormbecki) | 11 comments Thanks, Lis! Sounds perfect!

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 36 comments Becki wrote: "I'm down with the YA and all but I'm hitting 40 and find I need something more out of the books. I'd like the characters to be at least 30 so I can sort of relate. "

Think how I feel at 50+ . I shudder. I've found a couple of good ones, but most I've read end on the DNF pile.

message 14: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 07, 2016 10:31AM) (new)

Rebecca | 24 comments The characters in my Fada Shapeshifter Series are mature. In the first, she's a 200-yr-old fae queen and he's a 100-yr-old shifter alpha. I enjoyed putting these two leaders together and having them realize how much they needed each other. And bonus is, they're very *experienced.* Did I mention these are sexy? :)

A dark shifter alpha... A jaded fae queen... Are they enemies--or mates?
Seducing the Sun Fae (The Fada Shapeshifter Series, #1) by Rebecca Rivard

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (rockin_robin) | 81 comments Just putting my 2 cents in here. I've found that there is a big difference between characters who are supposed to be ancient and characters who act like it. Lynsay Sands Argeneau series has vampires who are mostly centuries or millennia old and they generally act like it even with the humor element. Then there are those characters who are supposed to be ancient or even gods and goddesses and they act like teenagers. I can't think of specific examples off the top of my head for this.

As a woman in her mid-40's, I agree with those who would like to see more mature characters. I do recall Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld featured several stories involving a female werewolf, Elena, who was older (30's at least if I recall) Bitten (Otherworld #1) by Kelley Armstrong and she acts like it. It gets a little old to read about characters, regardless of how old they're supposed to be, acting like children.

BTW, I have not read anything by any authors in this discussion, so my opinion is not directed at any stories in particular.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (rockin_robin) | 81 comments Okay, I just read a book and I immediately thought of this thread. Carpe Demon (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #1) by Julie Kenner . The main character is a 38 year old mother of a 14 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. Her husband is an attorney who is preparing to launch a political campaign to run for district attorney and nobody in her life knows that she is a retired Demon Hunter. She gets dragged out of retirement to deal with demons in her small town while keeping demons, etc. a secret from the world and juggling her mommy/wife responsibilities which creates some very humorous situations. I loved it and am off to find out how many other books are in this series and whether or not I can find any in my local library.

message 17: by Becki (new)

Becki (bookwormbecki) | 11 comments THANK YOU!! Sounds great! I will check it out!