The Random Person's Book Club discussion

Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Loretta has anybody read this book?
I'm having a hard time getting thru chapter one .
would really like to give this book a chance.

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Crystal Allen | 6 comments I haven't read it yet but one of my co-workers at the bookstore I used to work at read it and she loved it. She sold it to everyone. It might be one of those ones that the first X number of pages are hard to get through and then you can't put it down.

message 3: by Loretta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Loretta I gave up on the book for now may try later.

message 4: by Norman (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

Norman (normanince) This may come too late...but I read Saving Fish...last month and rate it as one of the worst books I have ever read! I liked The Joy Luck Club and thought The Kitchen's God's Wife was ok, but this time Tan has laid a rotten egg.

message 5: by Christen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Christen | 3 comments Agreed - don't force yourself through this stinker. It's so slow and I never developed any amount of caring for any of the characters. The one thing that kept me going was the mystery of how the narrator died but the resolution was so mediocre that I was just angry by the time I got to the end. This is the one book that I've wanted to find every copy of and burn just so no one else would be tortured.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Sarah (sarahsari) Me too - I thought Saving Fish was horrible! And I loved some of Amy Tan's other books - I was so excited to read this and it turned out to be such a disappointment.

message 7: by Bethany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Bethany (bethcrawleyuk) the book is in my to read pile, and just found itself a new spot at the very bottom...

thanks for the heads up