The Kite Runner The Kite Runner discussion

"For you, a thousand times over,"

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elayna Treadaway "For you a thousand times over." This line from the end of the book on page 371, is by far the most memorable line of the book. It was so moving and fitting for the ending of the book. I feel as if that was the cherry on top of the whole story. It signified the loyalty, dedication, and friendship of Hassan and Amir as children when Hassan said it on page 67. With this single line it feels as though all has been forgiven. It feels as though Sohrab will have a brighter future. This line gives hope.
This line was said twice in the story, having about a twenty-six year gap between the times when they were uttered. The second time it would said is definitely more powerful than the first. The first being said without a burden of a terrible past filled with guilt, just a child doing a favor for a friend who he loved as a brother. The second time it was said had a much greater significance than the first. It was a statement meant to evoke a powerful emotion in its readers. It was a statement that showed a how the roles had switched. Hassan had always been a figure of servitude in Amir's life. Amir stated repeatedly how much of a loyal and undeniably honest person Hassan was. He even expressed how his own deceitfulness toward Hassan made him feel incredibly guilty. On page 54 Amir says, "To this day, I find it hard to gaze directly at people like Hassan, people who mean every word they say." So it's no question if Hassan meant what he said.
Now it is Amir saying this to Hassan's son. This line always signified the dedication to the one being spoken to by the one saying it. Amir has traveled half way across the world and nearly died in the process of retrieving Sorhab and ensuring his physical safety. This attests to the sincerity of the words spoken to Sohrab, Hassan's son. This statement, when spoken by Amir, is meant to show his servitude to Sohrab just it was meant to show Hassan's to Amir when spoken the first time.

Bhawana Dixit "there is way to be good again' . This is also one of the line from the book which hold its existence from starting to end. This line is there in starting itself also once mentioned in the end. It is with the reference to Aamir which in end proves to be a good person.

cora Elayna wrote: ""For you a thousand times over." This line from the end of the book on page 371, is by far the most memorable line of the book. It was so moving and fitting for the ending of the book. I feel as if..."
it's said in the prologue/chapter one so 3 times total i believe

Khanak Tyagi Elayna wrote: ""For you a thousand times over." This line from the end of the book on page 371, is by far the most memorable line of the book. It was so moving and fitting for the ending of the book. I feel as if..."
i so agree with you, it is one of those quotes you cannot forget. holds so much significance. and also when he said "And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too" LOVED IT.

Zachary Pederson This is a great line to the end of the book because it ties it to his friendship with Hassan, adding resolve and meaning to that statement.

Kobra Sometimes writers do this thing to you; when they write just one sentence and in your head flashes of story replays so fast and you experience all sorts of feelings and although they are sometimes opposing you take them all. Well "for you a thousand times over" is one of them and I appreciate writer's work for that.

sab! that line makes me cry every single time and it hurt even more hearing it in the movie 😭

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Love that line!

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I love the way the line was used and how it did a full circle back in the end. From what I feel, this was also the author's way of communicating to the readers that Amir was indeed on his redemption arc. Although he couldn't undo everything he did to Hassan, he found a way to forgive himself by doing right by Hassan's son, loving him with the same purity and loyalty Hassan did once paying tribute to his friend and half-brother.