UK Book Club discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 6,708 (6708 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 134 135

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
New members introduce yourself here and find out a bit about other members of the group.
You could post a little bit of the information from your profile, such as who you are and what you like read.

I'm the creator of this group and like to read a variety of books, mainly romance and general fiction, but will read pretty much anything.

message 2: by Sam (last edited Jul 27, 2009 08:16AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Hi, I'm new to this group (obviously lol). I tend to read mainly horror novels but since joining Goodreads last December I've been reading a much more diverse range including numerous books I wouldn't have usually picked. I'm a serious bookworm, always have been, and nothing makes me happier than curling up with a good book and a cup of tea (especially when it's chucking it outside like it has been lately) and I'm pretty much incapable of going into any bookstore and not spending anything...in fact I tend to struggle just walking past them to be honest lol

I'm looking forward to tackling the A to Z challenge and will be drafting my list out once I've finished my current reads.

message 3: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hi Sam, good to meet you. Look forward to seeing your A - Z book list!

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo Hi i just joined this group. Im Jo from staffordshire

message 5: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hey, have fun in the group!

message 6: by Bella (new)

Bella (bellabookclub) | 1 comments Hi there! I'm Bella from London - I run a small local book club and am excited to get inspiration and good ideas from this club!!

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Bella :)

message 8: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cazoe) | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm Carrie from Surrey. I like to read most fiction, but also sometimes biographies.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Hi Carrie

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Hi there Bella and Carrie, welcome to the group :-)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all, I am Kate from Tamworth (Staffordshire). I am new to Goodreads and just starting to learn how it all works so please bear with me if i get it wrong. I mainly enjoy reading thrillers, crime and chick lit but I am always open to suggestions.

message 12: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hi Kate! Good to have you as a member :) if you have any questions about good reads then you can post it somewhere in this group and we'll all help you :)

message 13: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hi Amii! Have fun in the group!

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo Hi Kate! Im from Staffordshire too. Welcome!

message 15: by Nemo (new)

Nemo Thomas (nemo_thomas) | 4 comments Hi, My Name is Marcus...And i Am an avid reader From London...Gypsy Boy

message 16: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hi Marcus, good to meet you :-) I'm guessing Gypsy Boy is your favourite book? You can add it to the favourites book shelf if you like!

message 17: by Nemo (new)

Nemo Thomas (nemo_thomas) | 4 comments good to meet you too!...and ive already done it...hope you dont mind mbut i have also put it in suggestions for you...it is truly brilliant...you must read it and let me know what you think...

message 18: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

That's cool :D

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter Hello. I'm Peter from Liverpool.

I have no idea really what I like to read, so I'm made a list of classics/best-sellers and I'm going through that. Perhaps at the end, I'll know.

message 20: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hi Peter, good idea! You can have a look at the 'favourite bookshelf' for some of the favourite books of members of this group!

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Peter

message 22: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Aug 13, 2009 03:06AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Hi I am Lynne from Gillingham in Dorset (not Kent). I read anything at the moment as I am a Senior Care Assistant for Marie Curie an work nights so have 9 hours of time to kill if the patient is sleeping!

I really love horror - big Stephen King and John Saul fan. Also read fantasy and love classics which I tend to download (from manybooks.net) to my Sony Reader, the best birthday gift I have ever had!

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Lynne! I just started my first Stephen King book and i think he is great :)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I have read and got all his books and I have recently started to read Joe Hill (S K's son), he is a good too!

message 25: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hi Lynne! I've never read any Stephen King before, horror's not my thing - give me nightmares for weeks! :-) Might think about it for the A-Z challenge though...

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments There was only one S K book that scared me so much I had to read the last chapter before carrying on and that was Misery! I can't watch the film if alone in the house either!

message 27: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I definitely wont read that one then!! Which of his books would you say is good and not too scary?

message 28: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Aug 14, 2009 01:11PM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments My all time favourite is The Stand I have read it so many times I know the book backwards! I am also on my 3rd copy! I tend to look out for better copies than my latest one on my book browsing travels!

The Stand is about a man made Super Flu, its not too scary!

message 29: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Might have a look at that one then! Would be good to read a Stephen King as he's really popular, I'm just too much of a wimp :-)

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo Im reading Salems Lot havent got to any scary parts yet though

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Oh I think you may reach scary bits soon! lol!

message 32: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I wont be reading that one then - lulls you into a false sense of security!!

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo I like scary books! I havent found a book yet that can make me sleep with the light on. Maybe this will be the one :)

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy | 177 comments Hi all

Just thought I'd introduce myself! I'm Amy and I'm from southampton

message 35: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hey! Good to meet you :)

message 36: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Burke (princesslindsey) | 1 comments Hi I'm Lindsey. I commute to work in London everyday and would be l
ost without a good book to stick my nose in while on the train, bus and tube! At the moment I am reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I love his writing and although I must admit the middle of the book was a bit of slog I am back in the swing and totally addicted!

message 37: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (last edited Aug 16, 2009 06:34AM) (new)

Hi Linsdey! Have fun in the group :D

message 38: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Amy and Lindsey

message 39: by Allie (new)

Allie Richardson | 2 comments Hi I am Allie,
I have just begun the A to Z book challenge. I have read Scapegallows by Carol Birch. A really great book, well written with a good story based on historical fact.
I have an eclectic taste so I move through genres and from classic to pulp fiction. Looking forward to receving some great recommendations.

message 40: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Allie :)

message 41: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Hey Allie! I hope you manage to find some great recommendations in this group :-)

message 42: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3494 comments Mod
Hi I'm Liz, I've only just stumbled on Good Reads, but I'm already addicted to virtual bookshelf on Facebook. I'm from the UK, but currently thousands of miles away in Singapore and miss all my lovely books back home! Luckily the Singapore public library is vast...

I read a range of stuff, but like 20th/21st Century literature best; writers like Margaret Atwood, Peter Carey, Ian McEwan, John Irving.

At the moment I'm reading 'Midnight's Children' by Salman Rushdie.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Welcome Liz, I would miss my books too! We went to Germany in the 80's and i told my poor husband if my books can't go I don't go! We took them and back again!

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Liz

message 45: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3494 comments Mod
Yes, I was tempted to bring all my books with me, but then where do you stop? We arrived here with four suitcases and two cardboard boxes - our full baggage allowance for the three of us - most of which was toys and books for my son!
Books are VERY expensive here, most imported from Europe and the States, so they travel a long way. In the first week I signed up at the library and haven't look back. The telly is sooo bad, I have more time for reading (and fiddling on Facebook etc!)

message 46: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Feb 10, 2010 09:31AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments TV here in UK is not any better I can assure you! I rarely put it on unless I have vistitors, give me a good book any day of the week!

message 47: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I agree - TV is rubbish! I'm considering moving to Germany for a year and would definitely miss my books!

message 48: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 15 comments Hello everyone.I joined this site a couple of days ago and have decided to join this group.I am in Lincolnshire and read most types of book.I especially like Jeffery Deaver,Harlan Coban,Janet Evanovich at the moment.Books I remember especially enjoying are Jack Maggs , Prayer for Owen Meaney and The Vanished Man.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Hi caroline welcome to the group! I love Janet Evanovich and so does my daughter too. She is brilliant!

message 50: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Caroline

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 134 135