The Book Vipers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Chat > What are you reading in 2016?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 474 (474 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5457 comments Mod
Tell us about the books that you are reading in 2016

message 3: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I started reading my collection of Sherlock Holmes stories (all 56 short stories of the canon and 5 more that were not included in the collections). That's 1300 pages to be read, but I only read the introduction today. Easy does it, one story at the time...

And I also started The Cloven Viscount by Italo Calvino. It's a short book to kickstart the challenge for this year and it fills the emptiness that is my 1950s books, plus it's a book written in Italian and I haven't read Italian books in the recent years. And it's on one of my lists and sounds funny. Though it was not when (view spoiler).

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (short_ratty) | 2 comments Finished reading The Girl You Left Behind (Jo Jo Moyes) this afternoon, now 100+ pages into Little Black Lies (Sharon Bolton).

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 463 comments I'm reading A God in Ruins - loving it!

Marina (Sonnenbarke) (sonnenbarke) Currently reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

Tytti, I love The Cloven Viscount!

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1364 comments Love Tess

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Burns | 409 comments Oh, Tess is an all time favourite of mine. I love that book.

I'm currently enjoying "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith. I'm about half way in and it's good so far.

message 9: by Paul (last edited Jan 06, 2016 05:57AM) (new)

Trying to zip through A Man Called Ove tonight. Some amusing parts so far. He reminds me of Victor Meldrew...

message 10: by Paul (new)

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 380 comments I've started reading Seventy Times Seven by John Gordon Sinclair today.

message 12: by Pink (new)

Pink Paul wrote: "Trying to zip through A Man Called Ove tonight. Some amusing parts so far. He reminds me of Victor Meldrew..."

Yes definitely a Victor Meldrew!

message 13: by Paul (new)

He was indeed Pink. Happy New Year too.

Aiming to read A Darker Shade of Magic, Last Night in Montreal and The Masked City this weekend

message 14: by Toyah (new)

Toyah (rockabillybibiliophile) | 275 comments Just finished The Little Prince. Still on The Catcher in the Rye which I promised I would read all the way through this time!

message 15: by Jon (new)

Jon | 255 comments Started J. M. Coetzee's Disgrace...a Booker Prize winner set in post-apartheid South Africa

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 380 comments I'm just a few pages into Hello From the Gillespies by Monica McInerney.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Just started A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. Very interesting so far.

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 463 comments I'm reading The Gun Seller, written by Hugh Laurie long before he became famous as House. It's a spoof spy story and at first the humour was rather laboured, but now I'm about halfway through it's becoming more fluent and engaging.

message 19: by Trine (new)

Trine (majjalol) | 203 comments Joy wrote: "I'm reading The Gun Seller, written by Hugh Laurie long before he became famous as House. It's a spoof spy story and at first the humour was rather laboured, but now I'm about halfway ..."

I wasn't a fan of that book myself - but would love to hear what you think of it when you're done!

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 261 comments Now reading The Fountainhead. Yes, Rand is an ideologue (and possibly a social Darwinist), but I'm finding the story really intriguing and the characters--though tending to be types--nuanced and quite intriguing as well.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Just started One Wild Song: A Voyage in a Lost Son's Wake. The little that I have read so far has been good. Working my way through Information is Beautiful and enjoying the richness of the infographics.

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
I am reading This House of Grief and listening to The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel.

Bit of a House thing going on, just realised.

message 23: by Paul (new)

In more ways than one Jo...

message 24: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) Just started All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doer. :)

message 25: by Paul (new)

That was a BV book last summer Tracey. Some people loved it, others felt it was a bit too much for them.

message 26: by Jo (new)

Paul wrote: "In more ways than one Jo..."

Oh it's a sign, it must be, you are more on the ball than me. Three weeks to go... apparently.

message 27: by Jo (new)

Tracey wrote: "Just started All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doer. :)"

MIL's copy is still winking at me from the shelf, not quite got around to it yet.

message 28: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Jan wrote: "Now reading The Fountainhead. Yes, Rand is an ideologue (and possibly a social Darwinist), but I'm finding the story really intriguing and the characters--though tending to be types--nuanced and qu..."

Btw, it is possible that Ayn Rand took her first name from the Finnish author Aino Kallas. She did say so but never mentioned the actual name and Kallas is the most likely answer.

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 380 comments I'm just about to start Crippen: A Novel of Murder by John Boyne. Have rated a couple of his other books very highly, no pressure for this one then!

message 31: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I have a problem... I'd like to read some good historical fiction but I can't make up my mind, and I'd like it to be a relatively long book which is a part of the problem because I wouldn't want to not finish it... And I already have other books to finish, too.

message 32: by Paul (new)

I have read the Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom which are pretty good. I am lead to believe that C.J. Sansom writes some good historical fiction too, but I have never read any so cannot comment on them.

message 33: by Tytti (last edited Jan 15, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I've read the first one, I own the second and won Winter in Madrid in a library quiz. But I was thinking of something more historical. I have one about Herod Antipas, another set in Turkestan (China) in 1933 (or maybe more to the 1910's) and one about a Finn studying at Sorbonne in the 15th century who also later became the head master of it, those are now the front runners. :-)

Oh, I have also one about "Forest Finns" who were sent to farm land in Western Sweden in the 17th century. (They also went to America and became very friendly with the natives because they had similar lifestyles. I even just read that in the first Indian Wars the Finnish houses were spared when others were burned. Apparently some Native Americans called Finns "people like us".) And one book about 11th century Europe. Sigh, too many choices... :-P

message 34: by Felecia (new)

Felecia Kelly I'm finishing up Red Queen and Pride and Prejudice. I've been reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for about a week. Too many other books distracting me. Hoping to be finished with it by Sunday.

message 35: by Joy (new)

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 463 comments I'm reading The Crimson Petal and the White but I wish I'd bought it on Kindle instead of paperback as the print is rather close for my eyesight!

message 36: by Paul (new)

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on that Joy.

message 37: by Bella (last edited Jan 16, 2016 07:21PM) (new)

Bella | 80 comments I'm over a quarter of the way through John Adams by David McCullough. It's very readable, even for a person who doesn't like non-fiction. I think, though, that the author has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Adams and his wife; he admires them deeply and it shows. And I think that's led him to overstate the anti- slavery views of John and Abagail. I don't think they were deeply anti-slavery for the right reasons- that it's morally wrong and evil. I think more that they were free labor and free soil and thought that things should be earned through one's own labor- that slavery was almost equally "unfair" to whites as well as to slaves.

message 38: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1364 comments Sansom series is good. I found I needed to read the first one or two to enjoy the series. I wasn't sure re those first couple but hard to understand others if you don't
Also, Hilary Mantel - her autobiography is awful but her historical ficton better.
I Claudius, if you are into Rome. The 2 books are excellent.

message 39: by Toyah (new)

Toyah (rockabillybibiliophile) | 275 comments Finished The Catcher in the Rye. Moved on to Talking with Serial Killers which I have now finished, and I'm about to start A Midsummer Night's Dream for some light relief and to tick off another box on my personal challenge.

message 40: by Wendy (new)

Wendy I'm about 100 pages into The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini I think I am enjoying so far but I am finding it difficult to warm to the main character at the moment.

message 41: by Toyah (new)

Toyah (rockabillybibiliophile) | 275 comments I very nearly started The Kite Runner today..it'll be next I think

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Tytti wrote: "I've read the first one, I own the second and won Winter in Madrid in a library quiz. But I was thinking of something more historical. I have one about Herod Antipas, another set in Turkestan (Chin..."

How about The Red Tent by Anita Diamant I haven't read it myself - although it is sat on my 'to read' bookshelf at home - but it comes highly recommended by a couple of friends

message 43: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Toyah wrote: "I very nearly started The Kite Runner today..it'll be next I think"

I will be interested to hear what you think

message 44: by Tytti (last edited Jan 17, 2016 10:13AM) (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Pat wrote: "Also, Hilary Mantel - her autobiography is awful but her historical ficton better.
I Claudius, if you are into Rome."

I do own I Claudius but never really been that interested in Tudors for some reason.

Wendy wrote: "How about The Red Tent by Anita Diamant I haven't read it myself"

Well I actually own all those books I mentioned, that's one of the reasons I'd like to read them (and they are all by Finnish authors, many with good reviews), so I'm not exactly looking for more... :-) I am not that interested in religion per se, either, in "Herod" he thinks about his life, probably a bit like Sinuhe in The Egyptian, yet another book that is looking at me disapprovingly. But they are all so different so I can't compare them and that makes it difficult to choose between them. :D

message 45: by Jon (new)

Jon | 255 comments Just started The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat. It's about the persecution of Haitian laborers by Trujillo in the Dominican Republic during the 30's. The story was touched upon in another book I read awhile ago: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

message 46: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1364 comments I am not a Tudor person either but it's often about their lives, not the history. I guess, in order to choose, you can just shut your eyes and read the first one you touch. It's like being a child again.

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 380 comments Started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt today.

message 48: by Gail (new)

Gail | 126 comments Jackie wrote: "Started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt today."
I am about half way through The Goldfinch and loving it but am not finding it a speedy read!

message 49: by Paul (new)

Started The Long Utopia today. Not bad so far

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.