HAPPILY EVER AFTER discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > What is your rating system on Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 1194 comments Mod
Hi, as you may all be aware, the Goodreads official rating system is:

1 star - didn't like it

2 stars – it was OK

3 stars – liked it

4 stars – really liked it

5 stars – it was amazing

However, not all readers define their rating stars strictly according to the Goodreads system ...and I thought that it might interesting to share our own rating systems here, thanks! :-)

message 2: by Ramla Zareen (new)

My rating system on Goodreads:

1 STAR= Below Average.

2 STARS= Average= Readable= I found it just ok.

3 STARS= Good= Quite Enjoyable= I liked it...!

4 STARS= Very Good= Enjoyable= I liked it very much...!

5 STARS= Excellent= Immensely Enjoyable= I loved it...!

message 3: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 13 comments I think my rating system is quite generous...

1: utmost atrocity
2: I liked some elements - there were some redeeming elements that saved it from being a total disaster
3: around the same level of good and bad points in the book
4: quite good with some flaws
5: really-really-really good / love it level :)

message 4: by C. (new)

C. | 45 comments I would say I agree with the GR ratings. : ]

message 5: by Ramla Zareen (new)

While on the topic ...has anyone of you have ever wished that the Goodreads rating system was more sensitive? 

For example, my most difficult rating decision is when I have to choose between a 3 stars or a 4 stars rating. I mean, it doesn't seem right to give a book 3 stars when it's slightly better than the other books that I have rated the same. On the other hand, I can't help feeling that to give it a higher rating would be unfair to those books that have deserved a solid 4 stars on their own merit. During these times, I often wish that Goodreads allowed .5 so that I can rate such books 3.5 stars. 

message 6: by *Dawn (new)

*Dawn (x1f4dadawnx1f4da) Ramla Zareen wrote: "While on the topic ...has anyone of you have ever wished that the Goodreads rating system was more sensitive? 

For example, my most difficult rating decision is when I have to choose between a 3 s..."

I agree with the GR rating system. I will often say at the top of my review if I want to stress a half-star bump to the rating. I agree with you, though, it sure would be nice if that was an offering.

I'm also a member of LibraryThing, and they do have that option on that site. That's a great site as well. They don't seem to offer as much of the social aspect, however, which I've been enjoying on Goodreads, especially since I started doing the reading challenges, etc.

message 7: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Dawn wrote: "Ramla Zareen wrote: "While on the topic ...has anyone of you have ever wished that the Goodreads rating system was more sensitive?"

Yes, as you may have noticed, my personal rating system pretty much matches the Goodreads rating system too. Moreover, like you, I also mention it in the review if I feel that a book deserves a half star increase in the rating. Still, I do believe that it would have simplified matters if .5 rating option had been given.

Anyway, thanks for sharing about LibraryThing, will check it out ...and yes, one of the things that I enjoy most about Goodreads is that it enables me to interact with other book lovers, so I can definitely relate! :-)

message 8: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) For me :

1* hate/dod not finish
2* dont like
3* average
4* good book
5* great/amazing

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) 1* Didn't finish/ read less than a third of the book
2* Probably read about half and gave up- but it had potential
3* eh, average, nothing remarkable
4* good, but not great
5* so great I 'll probably read it again, or I already have!