Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Word runner

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Is anyone else excited about Word runner? I had seen an article about a similar program, and have been waiting for Amazon to get on board with it. I would love to try it. Has anyone else tried this yet?

message 2: by Donald (new)

Donald Scott (writeondon) Never heard of it.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Sorry, I forgot to add the video.

message 5: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK I hadn’t heard of it, but I have heard of Spritz which appears to be a similar concept as far as the one-word-at-a-time thing. I tried a demo of Spritz once and I was surprised how well it worked.

I don’t know if I’d want to use it for most of my reading, but Word Runner looks a lot more versatile than I remember Spritz being when I tried it. I like that it has the ability to switch back to full screen, pause, rewind, etc. I could definitely see using it once in a while. If nothing else, it would probably be useful when I’m reading something I’m less invested in but still wanted to finish, because I could probably get through it more quickly. Or maybe for a re-read before reading a new, related book. Or to help myself stay focused when I'm reading in noisy places.

Thanks for posting about it Ann! I hadn’t been aware this was coming so now I’ll keep an eye out for it.

message 6: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK I just looked for it on the Kindle app on my Android-based smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and it was actually already available.

The book I'm reading right now is a horrible choice for it because it has lots of strange names, made up terminology, odd speech patterns, etc. But I did play around with it a little bit for fun. Control-wise, it's pretty easy to use. I'll have to use it more (and on a different book!) before I could say for sure if it's something I would use often.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 57 comments YouKneeK wrote: "I just looked for it on the Kindle app on my Android-based smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and it was actually already available.

The book I'm reading right now is a horrible choice for it because ..."

OK, it seems to be on my Android phone as well -- somewhere. How did you locate it?

message 8: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK Ann wrote: "OK, it seems to be on my Android phone as well -- somewhere. How did you locate it? "

After you open up a book in the Kindle app, tap on the screen so that the menu bar comes up on the top. In the top right, you’ll see an icon with 3 vertical dots. Tap on that. Then you should see “Word Runner” at the very bottom of that menu.

If you don’t have it on your menu, maybe your app needs to be updated? I vaguely remember approving an update for mine a few days ago so maybe that’s when it showed up.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 57 comments YouKneeK wrote: "Ann wrote: "OK, it seems to be on my Android phone as well -- somewhere. How did you locate it? "

After you open up a book in the Kindle app, tap on the screen so that the menu bar comes up on the..."

Thanks. Did not see it, so perhaps my app has not been updated yet. It's listed in the app, but doesn't show up where you described it.

message 10: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK Weird… I think Amazon does typically roll things out in waves, so maybe I was just in an earlier wave. I hope you get it soon!

message 11: by Velia (new)

Velia (veliaf) | 24 comments Yeah I saw it on my Samsung Galaxy S3 recently but I had a hard time paying attention still. It was pretty cool though. I plan to try it again soon.

Has anyone been using it regularly yet? I'm curious about improved reading time.