Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Les Misérables
This topic is about Les Misérables
Archives > Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EllenZReads (last edited Dec 08, 2015 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

EllenZReads | 174 comments For week 1 (a book I meant to read in 2015) and week 2 (a book set in a different continent) I am reading
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

This book has been sitting on my shelf since I bought it right after I saw the movie in 2012--I have seen the musical a number of times but never read the actual book. It's about 840 pages and does not look to be an easy read.

message 2: by Alexxy (new)

Alexxy | 87 comments I loved the movie! I did! And I had been meaning to read the books, too. Though I rather read them in the original language. That may or may not take me forever...

EllenZReads | 174 comments I really loved the movie. I only took a few years of French so I am pretty sure I could not read the book in that language!

message 4: by Zaz (new) - added it

Zaz | 3034 comments Welcome to France :)
I read this years ago and I'm glad it's done! I enjoyed a lot the first part but after that, it was not for my tastes. I haven't seen the movie but I think it's pretty good as several of my friends decided to finally read the book after watching it.
Good luck with the doorstop.

Therese  I read this in high school many years ago. This is one of the books that changed my life for the better.

Alex (sillybilliz) | 6 comments One of my favourite books. Well worth the effort it takes to read such a lengthy book. Not sure I could finish it in a week though. x

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (megabou) | 36 comments Mockingjay does not disappoint! Absolutely loved the series!

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 234 comments Could i read it with you?? I have it on my tbr too!

Anne Mey I'm currently finishing this one and it's really interesting. Hugo uses his story to talk about society and about people at the time and that is close to a documentary. Hope you will enjoy that incredible journey.

EllenZReads | 174 comments Mabomanji wrote: "I'm currently finishing this one and it's really interesting. Hugo uses his story to talk about society and about people at the time and that is close to a documentary. Hope you will enjoy that inc..."

I'm 250 pages in and definitely enjoying the journey! But not sure I will finish it in these first two weeks of January (it's my first and second week choice).

message 11: by Jody (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Time for me to tackle this doorstop. I'm reading this for Week 37 (A book that you've seen the movie of, but haven't read). I absolutely loved the movie, and like many others have been meaning to read the book ever since. I also loved The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, so I am hopeful that I'll enjoy this, even though it will be quite a slog. I have an abridged version, so it's only (hahahaha) 896 pages, not the full 1500-ish.

message 12: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2717 comments I'd love to read this, but the size puts me off! I've found this year that I really have a hard time staying motivated with longer books, and audio versions don't help much since I tune out after a while.

Just as a side note - is there a reason this is listed under M instead of L? I know "Les" is French for "the", and we usually discount small words like that, but it seemed a bit awkward in this case.

message 13: by Jody (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments This was all kinds of amazing. I'm so glad that I finally read it. So complex and compelling.

message 14: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (bookworm_booklover) | 48 comments I'm currently reading this for week 18 (a really big book) because I'm a jumper. I too purchased my copy right after seeing the movie and it has sat on my shelf because it's got something like 1200 pages to it. This year I'm finally going to do it and I'm tackling it through audio.

The audio sits a couple minutes under 68 hours so needless to say I think I might be listening to this for a while.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1355 comments Listening to the audio book is probably the best option. I read it for one of the challenges and it took me a few months to finish it.
It is a great story.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I read this for my 2017 Topic Discard Challenge, the longest book in my TBR. I really disliked this book. I know my views are tainted by the movies and play (which I love). I just could not connect with the story in the book and the characters. It must be the lack of musical numbers ;) This was just a giant bore-fest for me.

2/5

Sarah (sezziy) | 603 comments Just read the barricade scene whilst on the train. I completely failed at hiding in the tears even though I knew what was coming.