Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Do You Like Politically Incorrect Humor?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay Cole (jay_cole) | 292 comments New Post at Find Your Funny

Do You Like Politically Incorrect Humor?

Political correctness has been pushed to such ridiculous extremes that a three-legged dog is no longer disabled, he's "paw-challenged".

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay Cole (jay_cole) | 292 comments Any comments???

Feedback gratefully accepted.

message 3: by James (new)

James (jameshalat) | 88 comments Definition: political correctness
noun
the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Political correctness has become one of the laziest catch phrases of people who don't want to think about what they say, and they have no idea what the term really means.

If you can make some humor based on these people, I'm all in!

message 4: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 65 comments Because a male is ovarian challenged is he acceptable to the PC brigade?

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1038 comments I personally enjoy humor that is intelligently composed and cleverly delivered, in either verbal or written format. The inclusion of a cultural, racial, nationality or philosophical reference does not automatically mean that it is improper, in poor taste or unacceptable. It is the context in which such references are utilized that matters. Self-deprecation, well known idiosyncrasies and culture-based phobias and superstitions can be very funny. Hate speech, prejudice and personal attacks are never truly funny, regardless of the context.

message 6: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 141 comments Jim wrote: "I personally enjoy humor that is intelligently composed and cleverly delivered, in either verbal or written format. The inclusion of a cultural, racial, nationality or philosophical reference does ..."

If something strikes me as funny then it is, whether it is PC or not. In large, most of the jokes I find funny tend to the more outrageous and biting, so very likely they won't be PC.

A large part of comedy is based upon personal attacks against public figures, so I can't see excluding it. Probably common decency would exclude the recently bereaved and the truly helpless.

As for hate speech and prejudice, those are highly subjective and dependent upon the society and social environment. Eliminating everything that anyone considers hateful or prejudiced would likely eliminate a large chunk of humour, and bring us back full circle to the PC question.

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay Cole (jay_cole) | 292 comments V.W. wrote: "Eliminating everything that anyone considers hateful or prejudiced would likely eliminate a large chunk of humour, and bring us back full circle to the PC question."

Or, it may require that everyone forgo speech altogether!

I also like "outrageous and biting" humor. However, you're correct in that it's likely underappreciated in PC circles.