Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

The Time Ships
This topic is about The Time Ships
Archived Group Reads > The Time Ships

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damon, ZARDOZ (last edited Dec 08, 2015 01:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
I am finding this book very boring. Do his other books improve from this beginning?

Agnes Not really. At least not for me. He has good ideas but the books are mostly too long and boring a bit.

fromcouchtomoon (couchtomoon) I found it rather dull, too. I thought he might work over some of the social concepts left open at the end of The Time Machine, but he gets distracted with machines and alternate timelines. Other authors could do better in fewer pages. Or give it to Kim Stanley Robinson if you want an expansive Wells sequel that's not so prosaic.

I hate to be THAT person, but here's my review: https://couchtomoon.wordpress.com/201...

message 4: by Classic SF Fan (last edited Apr 06, 2016 10:02PM) (new)

Classic SF Fan I ordered Time Ships from my library a few months before an eye op.and it was a big book,with tiny,closely packed type. Never even read a chapter! lolAnd you are certainly not encouraging me to try again!

message 5: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 21 comments Actually, I liked it! I agree it could have been a lot shorter, but when I enjoy a book I don't mind the time I spend enjoying it. But he did lose me right at the end.

PSXtreme Although it's been a while since I read it (finished it in Oct of '14), I found it very enjoyable. Of course it helps to have read the parent story from H.G. Wells (The Time Machine) so you know where this story is coming from. Yes, I do agree that the author tends to get long-winded at time, but I still found it worthy of 4 Stars...

message 7: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
I am still plodding through this. It is more interesting now that he is living with the Morlocks. I never actually liked Wells's original so that doesn't help.