VT Christian Reading Challenge discussion

General Discussion 2016 > Reading challenge level?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (hellosnix) | 21 comments Mod
So to start off the discussion: which level of reading are you trying to accomplish next year? Light, avid, committed, obsessed, or are you just trying to do as many as possible?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 4 comments I think my 2016 reading will be a hodgepodge of all the levels, honestly. I hope to use the Challenge List as a way to diversify my reading and get me out of my comfort zone in terms of what I normally gravitate toward when I pick out my next book. I usually set a goal of reading 52 books a year and tend to top out in the high 30's/low 40's. Hopefully, this will keep me motivated and interested in achieving that goal.

message 3: by Victor (new)

Victor Muthoka (hundredpercent) | 9 comments Looking to get to committed as my annual good reads challenge is usually 50 books. Looking forward to doing it w/ others.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Houchens | 8 comments I would really like to get to the committed level but I'll probably be doing good to get to avid. It looks like this year I'm only going to finish 17 books. I used to read a lot more but time constraints with work and five kids have put a damper on it. Looking to spend less time on Facebook and such to read more.

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Kirkland | 5 comments I'm aiming for a book a week, but will probably go across the different levels.

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Kirkland | 5 comments Oh, and hello all :)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Stephen wrote: "I think my 2016 reading will be a hodgepodge of all the levels, honestly. I hope to use the Challenge List as a way to diversify my reading and get me out of my comfort zone in terms of what I norm..."

Stephen, I'm right there with you. I set my goal at 50 books, but I'll probably do what I did this last year with the Popsugar challenge. With that one I used it as a "roadmap" of sorts to stretch me - I allowed every book I read to count for no more than 3 categories. That way I hit all the categories, but I could also just read a book that struck my fancy. I think I'll use this the same, that way if I find a missionary biography written by a woman, I've got two categories checked off. ;)

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Kirkland | 5 comments Sarah wrote: "Stephen wrote: "I think my 2016 reading will be a hodgepodge of all the levels, honestly. I hope to use the Challenge List as a way to diversify my reading and get me out of my comfort zone in term..."

I had a big internal discussion yesterday as to whether one book could count for two categories. I decided the opposite to you!!

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Duncan | 1 comments Since 2015 was a really low year for me, I'm just hoping to complete the light list. I would really like to complete the avid list though!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Dave wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Stephen wrote: "I think my 2016 reading will be a hodgepodge of all the levels, honestly. I hope to use the Challenge List as a way to diversify my reading and get me out of my comfor..."

Why did you decide it was the opposite, Dave? :)

message 11: by Angel (new)

Angel Parrish | 5 comments So glad someone started a group based on this challenge! I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one debating whether or not a book can count for more than one category. I think--for me--it can and will, as I have a couple of other reading goals in mind.

I've already completed my 2015 challenge of 100 books with $0 spent. I also diversified my list considerably over previous years. I discovered I really love Shakespeare plays. So one of my goals is to read 12 more Shakespeare plays.

I'll be looking for ideas for tracking my books, and maybe for title suggestions on a few of these. Looking forward to reading with you!

message 12: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jessamonk) | 7 comments I am hoping to just cross books off the list and see what level I end up at in the end. I am undecided about counting a book for more than one category--it depends on whether I am thinking of this challenge as reading from 104 categories or reading 104 books.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike | 3 comments I'm aiming for the Avid level, and I'll only count one category for each book. My overall goal
Is to read 36 this year (3 per month).

Laura (Book Scrounger) (bookscrounger) | 22 comments I'm so glad a group exists for this -- it's always more fun to do these things with ideas and discussion from others! I am hoping to at least complete "Avid."

I think I'd find it a more appropriate challenge to work directly down the list rather than skipping all over, but at the same time, I had hoped to read the Harry Potter series soon, finally, and I can probably do that if I make use of the categories in a more random fashion. ;-)

message 15: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 10 comments I’m aiming for the fences—including extra credit! My goal for this year was 110 books, and I have 6 left (and I think I’ll hit it—maybe even exceed it). I would NOT count a book for more than one category since the total that you are to hit is 13 (or 26 or 52 or 104) individual books.

One tip: Discipline yourself to only check social media / email at certain times. Don’t leave them open all day. That enabled me to really take off with reading (I’m NOT a fast reader!).

message 16: by JPaul (new)

JPaul (jpaulw) | 3 comments My goal is to complete the "Avid" list. I will be only counting one category per book. I'll probably need some suggestions for some of these categories so I'm thankful for this group.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

My goal is to always read a certain number of books, but I don't want to be limited to just the categories. :)

message 18: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Chan (ahtimsir) | 9 comments Thanks for creating this group. I'm coming in at the committed level. I have been reading a book a week the last 2 years, but even though the # of books will be the same for 2016, the reading list in 2016 is going to be more challenging for me. I will have to step up my game :D

message 19: by Tyler (new)

Tyler W. Rogers I am aiming for the light level and even that may be challenging. I am currently going to school full time and at work 10+hrs a day. As well as father of 3 and other factors. Time is limited and I think a book every 4 weeks will be a good aim and maybe even hard to accomplish.

message 20: by Sirmax70 (new)

Sirmax70 | 2 comments I am aiming for 50 books next year. My house looks like a library with books piled in every nook and cranny. Need to read them and make room for others!

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 10 comments I'm planning on the whole 104. That is well under what I normally read in a year, but the challenge for me is in reading from all the categories. I'm excited to see what other people are reading and follow along with everyone's progress.

message 22: by Nelleke (new)

Nelleke Plouffe | 10 comments As a busy homeschooling mom of 4, I'm aiming for "Avid". Some of the books I've picked are huge, though.

message 23: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 85 comments Mod
Nelleke wrote: "As a busy homeschooling mom of 4..."

I'm sure you're busy! I remember those days. I have four children and have been officially homeschooling for almost two decades (my oldest child is 24yo). I've graduated the oldest two. My two youngest are in high school and taking online classes, so I don't work with them much anymore. That leaves me more time to read and especially to listen to audiobooks as I do my household chores.

I've read 240 books so far this year (a few were novellas and almost half were audiobooks), so the number of books isn't a problem. I'll probably set a goal of 200 books for the GR reading challenge next year. I'm going to try to read more classics than I read this year, and they're usually quite long.

I'm not committing to a certain level, although I did set a goal of 30 books. I completed the Popsugar challenge this year, and because I did that challenge and a few other challenges, I didn't feel like I could read what I wanted when I wanted. I said that I wouldn't participate in the Popsugar challenge next year or in as many challenges next year so that I wouldn't be tied to reading certain books. So, I'll participate in this challenge and see how it goes, hopefully without putting pressure on myself to reach any particular level. I'll read books that fit into the various levels instead of completing one level before moving to the next.

message 24: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jessamonk) | 7 comments Nelleke wrote: "As a busy homeschooling mom of 4, I'm aiming for "Avid". Some of the books I've picked are huge, though."

I'm a homeschooling mom, too! We read aloud a lot of their books (or librivox it) so I have a few categories that should come easily.

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Spencer Jessi wrote: "I am hoping to just cross books off the list and see what level I end up at in the end. I am undecided about counting a book for more than one category--it depends on whether I am thinking of this ..."

That's the way I was thinking as well. I'll aim for 52+ books (goal reached for 2015 and will keep for 2016), but this year my aim is to expand genres so I'll be counting books in more than one category.

message 26: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Mullins (mullinshayley) | 1 comments I'm planning to get through Committed - I've read 40 books this past year, so 52 would be a step up. It would be awesome to get through the whole list, though!

message 27: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Young (jacobyoung) | 5 comments I was planning on doing the Committed Reader level, but I went through and tallied up my reading from this past year and realized that I've read about 45 books this year (while studying for ordination). So, I'm thinking I'll aim for the Obsessed level. It jives with a number of my reading interests anyways, and should be a good challenge.

Tolle Lege!

message 28: by Tzigane (new)

Tzigane Monda (tmonda) | 4 comments I had planned to do it the way Jessi is too! I was going to read and keep track of the books and check off where they fell on the list. I was hoping to make it through committed and be satisfied with that if I did. But as of right now I am at 46 books read this year and I have 3 that I am currently reading. Plus I know there are some that I forgot to put in goodreads that I have read. So maybe I will make it into the obsessed category after all!

message 29: by Juli (new)

Juli Wooden I'm aiming for the "committed" level this year. The last 3 years I have read 52 books each year. Last year I took on the PopSugar challenge which got me out of my comfort level in terms of reading choices and I still made the 52 book goal. This challenge has some real challenges for some of the categories--definitely going to be stretching myself this year!

message 30: by Sipho (new)

Sipho (siphomd) | 1 comments AlegnaB wrote: "Nelleke wrote: "As a busy homeschooling mom of 4..."

I'm sure you're busy! I remember those days. I have four children and have been officially homeschooling for almost two decades (my oldest chil..."

WOW!! 240 books! How did you manage to do that? That's incredible!

message 31: by David (new)

David | 13 comments I'm going to try for "Avid", with one book per category. That should be challenging but realistic for me.

message 32: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfalexander) | 2 comments I'm going for committed. I read 40 books in 2015, and want to increase that in 2016.

message 33: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Fontenot | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm planning on starting off with the "Light" reading plan due to work and college, and if I finish I'll move on from there. I'm very excited to start this plan and see what everyone else is reading.

message 34: by AlegnaB † (new)

Sipho wrote: "...240 books! How did you manage to do that?..."

Time. I'm not a speed reader. Since I'm a stay-at-home mom, I have a lot of time to listen to audiobooks. I watch very little TV and have no hobbies besides reading, so I'm usually reading in the evenings. I also don't sleep well, so I often get in a couple of hours of reading in bed during the night/early morning hours.

message 35: by Erin (new)

Erin Moore | 1 comments Homeschooling mom of three here as well! Last year I read 40 books so this year I'm setting my goal for 52. I like to divide my reading up into 20 min increments...in the early AM, during my kids quiet time in the afternoon, and then before bed. My biggest challenge in reading is deciding on what to read next! I'm hopeful that these categories will help with the decision making rather than further frustrate it:) Happy reading everyone!

message 36: by Amy (last edited Dec 31, 2015 05:49AM) (new)

Amy Hi everyone-
For the GR challenge last year I set a goal of reading 52 books. I only managed to read 22 last year because it was hectic and sort of difficult.

This year, I am trying to be much more intentional in several areas of my life so I look forward to being challenged.

I am going to set a goal for 52 books again this year which puts me into the committed category. I hope that I am able to surpass it.

I will probably count books across every category that fits them.

Looking forward to participating!

message 37: by Anita (new)

Anita Hi all - I'm afraid I'm slightly obsessed. I usually read 2-3 books a week, so I'm shooting for 100 this year. My main goal is to get me out of my comfort zone and read genres I usually wouldn't read.

I'm looking forward to this - my first year tracking everything I read!

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Doorenbos | 9 comments This is a new venture for me...I've been a lifelong reader but the past few years my job and other commitments have taken the place of my love of books, both fiction and nonfiction.

I'm excited to get back into books and include ones I'd normally not read.
Thanks

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather Hi all! My plan is the read through the Committed level, but depending on how quickly I make it I might try for Obsessed. I'm trying to keep it realistic though.

I'm spending my New Year's Eve day choosing books for each of the categories through Committed. I'm thinking if I have a plan I'll be more likely to succeed. I'm trying to incorporate as many books I own that I haven't read yet as possible. I also pulled many from my "to-read" list on Goodreads.

As Angel mentioned above, I'm trying to meet this challenge with $0 spent. Fortunately we have a good library system here (both public and university) so I've been referencing those catalogs when making my choices.

I'm thinking of trying to incorporate some audio books as well. I usually reserve them for long car rides, but I may be able to multi-task and listen while doing chores, knitting, etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is reading and get some recommendations!

message 40: by Barri (new)

Barri | 2 comments what a great challenge! I'm excited! I made it my goal to read 12 books last year- one per month. I thought I was doing good but now I'm seeing how much more I can challenge myself to do! I did read a couple of big books - like Jonathan Edwards by marsden- this was a great read but it took me two months! I don't want to get hung up on the number of books so that I miss the great books out there. Also it's the 400 anniversary of Shakespeare's death so I'd like to read a few plays and then GO to a few! Biggest challenge ? Worthless entertainment diversions...Facebook, Netflix etc....also it's an election year- so maybe a presidential biography- I read a great one on Washington that was a children's book- quick and fun to read! Happy 2016!

message 41: by AlegnaB † (last edited Jan 01, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Barri wrote: "...it's the 400 anniversary of Shakespeare's death so I'd like to read a few plays ..."

For understanding Shakespeare's plays, I like to read the No Fear Shakespeare editions, which have the original text on the left and a modern-language version on the right. They are free to read at http://nfs.sparknotes.com/ (it's not a complete collection of the plays). Also, your local public library may have some.

message 42: by Barri (new)

Barri | 2 comments Great recommendation! Thank you!

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy M (library4lyfe) | 5 comments I wanted to set a do-able goal for myself, so I'm signing on for the Avid level. If I can do more, I'll happily do it, but I at least want to complete 26 books.

message 44: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1 comments I'm aiming for somewhere between Light and Avid, leaning toward Avid. This is my first year in this challenge, and while I read often, I'm relatively slow. Getting through 2 books/month would be great for this year.

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Doorenbos | 9 comments I'm also doing the Avid plan! I'm on chapter 3 of book one do here's to reading success!

message 46: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Morgan | 3 comments I am shooting for committed. My goal is less TV and more books. So far I am ahead of schedule.

message 47: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Laura wrote: "I'm so glad a group exists for this -- it's always more fun to do these things with ideas and discussion from others! I am hoping to at least complete "Avid."

I think I'd find it a more appropria..."

Laura- I also aim to re-read all of the Harry Potter books this year and I found seven categories that they will fit into (if I give them just a teeny bit of wiggle room - like Humorous). Thus I plan to skip around a bit, but hope to get all the way through the committed level.

message 48: by Kendal (new)

Kendal | 3 comments I'm selecting from all the categories as a way to diversify my reading list with a goal of 52 books for the year.

message 49: by Becky C (new)

Becky C So I just came across this challenge and I'm joining WAY late, but I'm aiming for the Light Reader.

message 50: by Becky C (new)

Becky C Rebecca wrote: "Becky wrote: "So I just came across this challenge and I'm joining WAY late, but I'm aiming for the Light Reader."

Welcome Becky!!"

Thank you! Really looking forward to reading some interesting books I wouldn't normally read.