Breaking The Code To The Catcher In The Rye discussion

The Catcher in the Rye
This topic is about The Catcher in the Rye
Breaking The Code To The Catcher In The Rye: Parents

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cosmic (last edited Dec 07, 2015 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cosmic Arcata | 199 comments Mod
Who is Holden Caulfield?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden

The Great Depression led to a substantial downturn in production by Holden, from 34,000 units annually in 1930 to just 1,651 units one year later.[11] In 1931 General Motors purchased Holden Motor Body Builders and merged it with General Motors (Australia) Pty Ltd to form General Motors-Holden's Ltd (GM-H).

Ten years before USA entered WW2.

Holden's second full-scale car factory, located in Fishermans Bend (Port Melbourne), was completed in 1936, with construction beginning in 1939 on a new plant in Pagewood, New South Wales.[12] However, World War II delayed car production with efforts shifted to the construction of vehicle bodies, field guns, aircraft and engines.[15]

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, an what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

Given the premise that Holden is a car produced by GM, who are his parents? Who started GM?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willi...
William Crapo "Billy" Durant (December 8, 1861 – March 18, 1947) was a leading pioneer of the United States automobile industry, who created the system of multi-brand holding companies with different lines of cars; and the co-founder of General Motors with Frederic L. Smith, and of Chevrolet with Louis Chevrolet. He also founded Frigidaire.

Durant founded General Motors Holding Company on September 16, 1908, with $500,000 in Buick stock that Durant traded McLaughlin for $500,000 of McLaughlin stock, making McLaughlin one of General Motors' biggest shareholders.

Ten years before USA entered WW1.

General Motors Corporation was started at this time with Durant putting Pierre du Pont in charge, with McLaughlin Director and Vice President of the newly incorporated General Motors Corporation in 1918.

These were some "Splendid Boys."

Pierre served as DuPont's president until 1919. Pierre gave the DuPont company a modern management structure and modern accounting policies and made the concept of return on investment primary.

During World War I, the company grew very quickly due to advance payments on Allied munition contracts. He also established many other DuPont interests in other industries. [Yeah like the war machine industries]

Who was his mother?

Du Pont was a significant figure in the success of General Motors, building a sizeable personal investment in the company as well as supporting Raskob's proposal for DuPont to invest in the automobile company. Pierre du Pont resigned the chairmanship of GM in response to GM President Alfred Sloan's dispute with Raskob over Raskob's involvement with the Democratic National Committee. When du Pont retired from its Board of Directors, GM was the largest company in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samue...

Samuel McLaughlin
With engines from William C. Durant of Buick he produced the McLaughlin-Buick Model F, establishing The McLaughlin Motor Car Company, incorporated on November 20, 1907. In 1908, its first full year of operation, it produced 154 cars. In 1910 he became a director of General Motors and sold his Chevrolet company stocks in 1918 becoming president of General Motors of Canada, which continued to sell cars under the McLaughlin-Buick brand until 1942. He retired in 1945, but remained chairman of the board until his death.