Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Log Horizon, Vol. 1: The Beginning of Another World
This topic is about Log Horizon, Vol. 1
Light Novels > Log Horizon, Vol. 1 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Selena (last edited Feb 21, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1488 comments Mod
Thirty thousand Japanese gamers awake one day to discover that the fantasy world of Elder Tales, an MMORPG that was formerly their collective hobby, has become their cold hard reality. Severed from their everyday lives, they confront a new horizon filled with ravenous monsters, flavorless food, and the inability to die! Amid the chaos, veteran gamer Shiroe gathers his friends, the guardian Naotsugu and the assassin Akatsuki, and together they embark on an adventure to change the world as they know it!

Discuss Log Horizon Volume 1 here!

Reading schedule
1/10-1/23 Prologue & Chapter 1
1/24-1/30 Chapter 2
1/31-2/6 Chapter 3
2/7-2/13 Chapter 4
2/14-2/20 Chapter 5

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments I feel kinda guilty, since I've already read up to volume 3, but I'm really excited to discuss this book with other people! ^_^

Nek0 wrote: "I've seen the first season of the anime and found it really interesting so I'm looking forward to the LN. I just ordered it and I should get it by the 6th."

I've seen both seasons of the anime, so I've been looking forward to the group read for a while. :) I'm curious to see how similar they are.

Brandon wrote: "I feel kinda guilty, since I've already read up to volume 3, but I'm really excited to discuss this book with other people! ^_^"

No need to feel guilty. :) I had already read Spice & Wolf when we did that group read. Just don't spoil things for people and we'll all be good. ;)

message 4: by Megha (new)

Megha (meg04) I am in :)

message 5: by Anastazia (new) - added it

Anastazia Hamilton | 1 comments Exciting. :) I am in as well.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first 7 volumes of this series (the English fan translation, obviously). Here's the brief review I made of the series: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I won't spoil anything of the story, but I think I might come along to comment occasionally.

I've got my copy and I'm starting to read... now. :-3

message 8: by Megha (new)

Megha (meg04) I have never read an adventure manga before. The story takes speed right from the beginning.. no time spent on introductions, background...
Looking forward to read the next chapter.

Megha wrote: "I have never read an adventure manga before. The story takes speed right from the beginning.. no time spent on introductions, background...
Looking forward to read the next chapter."

You meant the light novel, right? Because Log Horizon the manga is not what we're reading in this group. ^^;;;

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 11, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Selena wrote: "Megha wrote: "I have never read an adventure manga before. The story takes speed right from the beginning.. no time spent on introductions, background...
Looking forward to read the next chapter."..."

I was wondering about that when I saw her comment. Well, it is true that the novel jumps right into the story, and you get introduced to details along the way. But that's exactly why you can't call it speedy, because it's a very detail-oriented novel. The world-building is essential in the series.

Cris N. wrote: "But that's exactly why you can't call it speedy, because it's a very detail-oriented novel. The world-building is essential in the series."

Agreed.

I'm surprised by the amount of world building they're doing from the get-go, though. I was afraid when they went into pages of detail about the world and Shiroe that it would feel like a major info dump, but for some reason it doesn't. Maybe it's because the text itself isn't dense, and so it's quick to read through all the information.

So far, I'm liking the light novel. I feel like I'm getting more in depth information than I did watching the anime already. Like the faces. In the anime, I don't remember there being a comment to this effect, but apparently, everyone's character's faces have changed slightly to resemble the player behind the PC a little more.

message 12: by Megha (new)

Megha (meg04) oops...can you share the goodreads link here? can't make out the difference..

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "Cris N. wrote: "But that's exactly why you can't call it speedy, because it's a very detail-oriented novel. The world-building is essential in the series."

Agreed.

I'm surprised by the amount of ..."

Back when I first read the novel I was also worried that I would get bored by all the technical details, but the author does a pretty good job of balancing the information with the story. One thing's for sure, though: the way the first volume is written is basically the way all the volumes are written.

There's always a lot of explanations and world-building, and that's because the characters keep getting into unprecedented situations or something about the world around them changes and needs to be explained. But still, it's usually balanced out with entertaining character interactions and battles.

I can't comment on the anime though, because I never watched it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Megha wrote: "oops...can you share the goodreads link here? can't make out the difference.."

It seems they don't have an English page for the novel yet: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 15: by Megha (new)

Megha (meg04) Cris N. wrote: "Megha wrote: "oops...can you share the goodreads link here? can't make out the difference.."

It seems they don't have an English page for the novel yet: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Don't tell me..

message 16: by Megha (new)

Megha (meg04) BTW, what is the difference betweent the LG Manga and light novel . I see the manga also has 5 volume.

Don't want to drop the plan ...

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 12, 2016 10:20AM) (new)

Megha wrote: "BTW, what is the difference betweent the LG Manga and light novel . I see the manga also has 5 volume.

Don't want to drop the plan ..."

I'm not the best person to ask since I didn't read the manga either. But well, you know, since a manga is like a comic book and a light novel is basically a novel, you'll surely get more description and detail from the latter.

message 18: by Aaron (last edited Jan 12, 2016 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron Nagy | 76 comments Cris N. wrote: "Megha wrote: "oops...can you share the goodreads link here? can't make out the difference.."

It seems they don't have an English page for the novel yet: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

English edition below

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

@ Megha & Cris: You can actually find the novel (and the correct edition) on the main page for the group or at the top of this thread (just click the image). It's also on the group bookshelf with the correct edition. :3 I work very hard to make sure the right edition is listed.

Also @ Cris: There are multiple editions on the book's page. They just list all the "Log Horizon" editions as one entity in the search, but you can find other editions either by using ISBN or by going to the book page and clicking on the "other editions" link on that page. :3

@ Megha: I've read the first volume of the manga and enjoyed it. The LN definitely has more detail.

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 12, 2016 07:52PM) (new)

Selena wrote: "@ Megha & Cris: You can actually find the novel (and the correct edition) on the main page for the group or at the top of this thread (just click the image). It's also on the group bookshelf with the correct edition. :3 I work very hard to make sure the right edition is listed."

Sorry, I completely forgot that the image actually links to the book page. Looks like the answer was right under my nose!

"Also @ Cris: There are multiple editions on the book's page. They just list all the "Log Horizon" editions as one entity in the search, but you can find other editions either by using ISBN or by going to the book page and clicking on the "other editions" link on that page. :3"

Thanks for pointing it out. I was actually experimenting with that switching editions function just recently. I should've noticed it earlier, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to Goodreads.

Cris N. wrote: "Thanks for pointing it out. I was actually experimenting with that switching editions function just recently. I should've noticed it earlier, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to Goodreads."

No problem. We were all new here once. :)

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Cris N. wrote: "Selena wrote: "Cris N. wrote: "But that's exactly why you can't call it speedy, because it's a very detail-oriented novel. The world-building is essential in the series."

Agreed.

I'm surprised by..."

I've seen the anime and I can tell you that, for the most part, the anime is accurate to the novel - as far as volume 1 is concerned. I can't say the same about the other volumes.

Also, does anyone else this this LN is very well written? From a purely grammatical and syntax standpoint, I feel like Log Horizon is written, or maybe translated, better than a lot of the LNs that I've read.

Brandon wrote: "Also, does anyone else this this LN is very well written? From a purely grammatical and syntax standpoint, I feel like Log Horizon is written, or maybe translated, better than a lot of the LNs that I've read."

I agree that the writing on this is excellent.

I'm not sure who gets the credit from a stylistic standpoint (translator or original author), but the pacing so far has been very good and the way the world building is happening is well done.

I also really like how Log Horizon seems to be somewhat genre savvy. The events don't exist in a vacuum. Characters act as if Elder Tales is one game among many, and that fantasy novels, anime, and games exist besides Elder Tales.

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Selena wrote: "I agree that the writing on this is excellent."

Hm-hm! I'm really loving everything about this. Normally, I get really bored when there's too much world building, but this does an excellent job of keeping my interest. This is a really interest world, especially because it's mixing standard RPG elements such as classes and leveling systems with fantasy elements. While this has been done before, I think the mixing here is much more seamless than in other LNs.

Allison | 125 comments I've read this before, and less than a year ago, but it's so much easier to re-read than I'd expected it to be. I'm really impressed by how many of the tiny details actually play out as the first two books move along. Plus, I really like Shiroe as a character, so that helps, too.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2016 04:40PM) (new)

Selena wrote: I also really like how Log Horizon seems to be somewhat genre savvy. The events don't exist in a vacuum. Characters act as if Elder Tales is one game among many, and that fantasy novels, anime, and games exist besides Elder Tales.

I also liked that aspect because it made the characters more realistic. Since they had experienced other things in their lives besides Elder Tales, they naturally mention them. The way they reference their old lives was also great. I remember trying out a couple other novels that had to do with characters in a VRMMORPG, but I quit on them early because they were done so poorly. The characters would act as if nothing existed besides that game when they were playing it/living in it. Log Horizon was the one novel of this type that really got me interested.

Brandon wrote: This is a really interest world, especially because it's mixing standard RPG elements such as classes and leveling systems with fantasy elements. While this has been done before, I think the mixing here is much more seamless than in other LNs.

Yes, the author constructed the whole system rather smoothly. It was also interesting how he made it so that characters usually had to fight in teams in order to have any chance at winning battles, just like the way it is in a lot of RPGs where if you try to get by without a team you can't handle anything. It was all described so well that back when I read it I actually got the urge to start playing a game.

Allison wrote: Plus, I really like Shiroe as a character, so that helps, too.

Shiroe is a really admirable character and stays that way.

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Cris N. wrote: "just like the way it is in a lot of RPGs where if you try to get by without a team you can't handle anything."

I think this was actually my favorite aspect of the story. One of my biggest issues with SAO was how Kirito was a solo player that could destroy bosses with minimal help from others. It made him feel very stu-ish. Shiroe, by contrast, feels like a more complete and well-rounded character. He's insanely intelligent, but that doesn't mean he can do everything on his own, and he does need the help of his comrades. I think this helps tie in to what Allison was saying about him being likable.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Brandon wrote: "Cris N. wrote: "just like the way it is in a lot of RPGs where if you try to get by without a team you can't handle anything."

I think this was actually my favorite aspect of the story. One of my ..."

Yeah, I hadn't read SAO, but I can imagine that style of character because I've seen it before. All the main character needs to do is pick up a sword, swing it around for a bit, and he's suddenly become some godlike warrior. Characters in Log Horizon, however, need to rely on others like real human beings. Shiroe is also very ethical, putting most of his efforts for the greater good.

Agreed.

I also like the fact that this is an existing game. People know how Elder Tales works, whereas in SAO, Kirito was the only one who seemed to know anything about anything.

Does anyone remember the .hack// series? Log Horizon reminds me a lot of it. Especially the character building. Not so much the world building, which was spread out over multiple series...

Aaron Nagy | 76 comments Well they are fundamentally different kinds of games.

Kiritos main excuse was he was one of the few beta players of the game so he had a leg up on everyone and he got admitting lucky early on and wasn't killed. Plus SAO combat is more like Monster Hunter, where skill really really matters a lot.

Elder Tales is a good bit more like a WoW era MMO, so it's a good bit more impossible to solo because more moves seem unavoidable.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "Agreed.

I also like the fact that this is an existing game. People know how Elder Tales works, whereas in SAO, Kirito was the only one who seemed to know anything about anything.

Does anyone re..."

Would you recommend the .hack// novels?

message 32: by Selena (last edited Jan 20, 2016 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I would, if you can find them.

While there isn't an exact order, I'd say start with Hack//Another Birth, Volume 1: Infection and go from there. .hack// was a huge project with games, anime, manga, and novels, so it can be a bit confusing where to start. Another Birth is a retelling of the original games, so if you aren't into games (out can't find them), that's where I'd start.

Here's hoping Log Horizon doesn't get that enormous and hard to navigate (lol).

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "I would, if you can find them.

While there isn't an exact order, I'd say start with Hack//Another Birth, Volume 1: Infection and go from there. .hack// was a huge project with games,..."

I'll look into it. I never heard of the .hack// stuff until I came across some people mentioning it in passing on threads about light novels. Wasn't sure if it was good or not.

Just finished chapter 1.

Gotta say, I love Mari in this. She's even goofier in the novel than she is in the anime, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Selena wrote: "Just finished chapter 1.

Gotta say, I love Mari in this. She's even goofier in the novel than she is in the anime, and I'm loving every minute of it."

Mari is probably my favorite. Granted, I think the boob comments she makes are hilarious, but I also love how cheerful and childish she is.

Akatsuki appears at last! <3 I love Akatsuki so much. I also love that she's a hardcore RPer.

I'm going to ask a discussion-type question. :)

What do you guys think you'd do if you were trapped in a video game like Elder Tales?

I'd like to think I would be down with it and be able to adapt. More likely, though, I'd freak out. Yeah, I'd totally freak out.

Allison | 125 comments Selena wrote: "I'm going to ask a discussion-type question. :)

What do you guys think you'd do if you were trapped in a video game like Elder Tales?

I'd like to think I would be down with it and be able to adap..."

That's such a hard question! I feel like I'd have a few panic-and-cry days, followed by finding a spot with a guild (I'd so have levels in something crafty, or clothes-making) and taking solace that in game world, I am at least gainfully employed. However, I would still cry myself to sleep some nights over the food situation. (I am being vague because I can't remember which chapter this is in.)

We've found out the food situation, in which everything tastes like soggy rice crackers. Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with that either.

I'd probably be a crafter, too, or maybe a chef, since I like cooking IRL.

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 30, 2016 04:56PM) (new)

Selena wrote: "I'm going to ask a discussion-type question. :)

I'd like to think I would be down with it and be able to adap..."

I wondered about that back when I was reading this novel. One possibility is that I would refuse to take what I'm seeing as reality and think maybe I've been put in some virtual reality game type of thing (something like that movie Total Recall). More likely, though, I think I'd be like on of the people in the book; I would conclude that it might be real and be shocked and dazed for a while, and then later join some guild so that I can get together with other people and put some order and security to life.

Whenever I played an RPG game I actually would usually avoid doing things like crafting, cooking, etc. I'd only do those sorts of things when I had to (e.g. making better armor or weapons) or when it was related to some quest you complete. So normally I focused on getting skills in things that improved my chances in battle, with the only exception being "thief skills" (pickpocketing, lockpicking, etc.) if I chose to play a class related to that.

However, even though I wanted to do stuff like that when I was a kid, in real life I don't have much more skill in those areas than the next guy, so I'd obviously have trouble adjusting if I was suddenly forced to be the RPG character that I created for fun. Yeah, I wish I could be unique, but I'd probably be fumbling around like one of the typical characters in the novel.

Somehow, I think I'd be able to bear with the tasteless food problem a little longer than the characters, but I'd get irritated soon enough. I mean, you have to have been a person who couldn't taste things to not be bothered by that.

Cris N. wrote: "Somehow, I think I'd be able to bear with the tasteless food problem a little longer than the characters, but I'd get irritated soon enough. I mean, you have to have been a person who couldn't taste things to not be bothered by that. "

I don't think it's even just taste. It sounds like the texture is always mushy crackers, too, which would drive anyone up a wall.

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 30, 2016 05:12PM) (new)

Selena wrote: "Cris N. wrote: "Somehow, I think I'd be able to bear with the tasteless food problem a little longer than the characters, but I'd get irritated soon enough. I mean, you have to have been a person w..."

Oh? It's been several months since I read that first volume so my memory is vague, but I thought they were saying it just tasted like soggy crackers because those are the most tasteless things you could think of. Yeah, if even the texture is like mushy crackers, that would be just nasty for most foods. Maybe if I was eating a stew that tasted like that it would be bearable, but if it was a sandwich or anything normally solid I'd have to force it down my throat.

I'm surprised by how much more slowly the light novel moves than the anime did at this point. I kind of like that more time's being spent on the characters though.

Naotsugu is a lot more thoughtful in the light novel than in the anime. The anime made it seem like they're was no filter between his mouth and his brain, while in the novel he seems to put a lot more thought into things.

I've played a couple MMOs in the past, and I can honestly say I've never gotten a mount as cool as a griffon. I had a magic floating hobby horse once. That was kind of fun.

Anyway, we're getting close to the end. What do you all think?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "I'm surprised by how much more slowly the light novel moves than the anime did at this point. I kind of like that more time's being spent on the characters though."

Yeah, the novel's pace is exactly the same, from beginning to end, in every single volume too. It's not ideal if you want fast action, but it has advantages because it adds depth to the world and to characters' thoughts, like you said.

The novel sure does make you feel like playing an MMO game, doesn't it?

Anyway, we're getting close to the end. What do you all think?

Better wait for the others to get a response on that. I was just throwing in comments here and there because I read this back in the summer.

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Selena wrote: "I'm surprised by how much more slowly the light novel moves than the anime did at this point. I kind of like that more time's being spent on the characters though."

I'm actually not surprised by this. I always felt that the light novel would have to move slowly since there's so much world building involved. In the anime, you see the world building, but it's not described in great detail because everything is done visually. The light novel has to move slowly in order to explain as much.

And I agree with you on the characters. I feel like they're all super awesome - the kind of people who I'd love to sit down and play an MMO with. Each one also seems to have a distinct personality that gives them a unique feel.

Having finished this a while ago, I can say that it's one of my favorite series right now.

Nyanta-san! :D I love his forced mew puns.

Though it does make me wonder... if everyone's faces in the game look more like their IRL counterparts, does that mean Nyanta looks like a cat in the real world?

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Selena wrote: "Nyanta-san! :D I love his forced mew puns.

Though it does make me wonder... if everyone's faces in the game look more like their IRL counterparts, does that mean Nyanta looks like a cat in the rea..."

I imagine that people who are a completely different species in the game simply retain more in-game appearances than their real-life appearance. Like, Shiro is a half-alve, which means that he already looked pretty much human anyway, so the game probably didn't require much logic to change his appearance to his real-life appearance. I imagine Nyanta is different because he's a cat-man.

Just finished the book.

I have to say, I came in with high expectations because of the anime, and the light novel did not disappoint. :)

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments I agree. This is an amazing series. It's one of my favorites right now.