Audiobooks discussion

Book Recommendations > Help - I'm stuck! (which narrator?)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments This thread is for advice when the same title has multiple narrators.

message 2: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1104 comments What a great idea for a thread. Thank you.

message 3: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments That's really for the other thread; but yes, I buy a book to solve the problem myself at times.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 320 comments Thanks John! I'm trying to decide which narrator of Mrs. Dalloway to buy. Audible has 5 versions. Anyone have an opinion?

message 5: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments In these cases, it would help if the person would list the narrators' names.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 129 comments Janet wrote: "Thanks John! I'm trying to decide which narrator of Mrs. Dalloway to buy. Audible has 5 versions. Anyone have an opinion?"

Did you listen to the samples? Annette Benning is very breathy. Juliet Stevenson sounds very cultured and Anne Fiosnik very quick but both have nice voices. Debra Zuin is translating to ??? Spanish, Italitan ?

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie I listened to the Juliet Stevenson version and thought it was great! I usually listen to her versions first as I think she is one of the best...

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 320 comments I have a hard time deciding from samples....but the narrators are
Anne Flosnik
Juliet Stevenson
Annette Benning
Deborah Zuin (it is Spanish....you'd think Audible would state that clearly but they don't)
Celia Johnson

The first 3 are available as Whispersync so I'm assuming that if I buy or borrow a Kindle version I'll have a choice? I read through the Kindle page on Amazon and don't see where it says.

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 320 comments Well this had a very interesting outcome. I borrowed the Kindle book from my library then when I went to Amazon, it offered me only the Anne Flosnik narration for $2.99 but when I went to Audible, the Juliet Stevenson version was also offered for $2.99. Annette Benning was $5.99.

message 10: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments Honestly, I like Anne Flosnick for some things, but classics seem to be more Stevenson's strong suit.

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 320 comments I ended up going with Stevenson....thanks for all the help!

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 84 comments I have the version of Pride and Prejudice narrated by Messenger. I'm debating buying the Rosamund Pike version. Has anyone listened to it yet?