Mrs. Schuet's AP Literature Class of '16 discussion

Dawn
This topic is about Dawn
Dawn by Elie Wiesel

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tomertheking (new)

Tomertheking | 7 comments Why did you choose this book? Is it like "Night", or is it a different style?

Keren Blaunstein | 4 comments I chose this book bc I was really moved by Wiesel's other book,(Night). I am currently on page 24, the speaker has arrived in Palestine (present day Israel) after escaping oppression in Germany (since this book is next in the 3-book sequence after Night, where he describes his experiences in the Holocaust). The speaker describes his terrorist operation"(21) to get the British out of Palestine its leader, Gad, who is very passionately about the goal of the group.
A predominant question that popped into my head was why does the speaker call the operation "terror" even though he takes part in it?

message 3: by Or (new) - rated it 4 stars

Or Shafran | 6 comments I chose this book since it in a way connects to my ancestry. It takes place during a time where Palestine (present day Israel) is controlled by the British. Another reason I have chosen this book is the fact that Elie Wiesel's other book, "Night" was very thought provoking and overall engaging.
So far in the book, the narrator is inspired by a speaker who is attempting to divert from the normal way of life. He claims that Jews have been the victims for far too long and that something must change. Jews must become the "executioners" (22). This notion contradicts numerous jewish beliefs. In the ten commandments it explicitly states that one must not kill. This charismatic leader is dissolving traditional Jewish beliefs in order to stop a vicious cycle where Jews are being oppressed. The narrator explains that by killing one is assuming the position of God and uses that idea to strengthen and justify this blasphemous act. He says that Jews must become God in order to change the world.
I love this book so far. It combines action with insightful views into religion and moral values. So far I am on page 25.

Keren Blaunstein | 4 comments I just finished the first chapter, a lot of stuff went down!! I don't exactly understand who Ilana is and why she's important (she also really depressed me when she said she was "a living graveyard")

Keren Blaunstein | 4 comments Another thing I've noticed is that they refer to themselves as terrorists and also compare themselves to God (especially Gad bc they are similar in wrath and authority and name). The speaker says they are like "God" in a sense that they are fighting for the right thing, but they are still killing, and that is the antithesis of God's will...
Maybe they are making this comparison in order to justify this violence? tell me what you think!

message 6: by Tomertheking (new)

Tomertheking | 7 comments Keren from whose point of view is the book? You said "they refer to themselves as terrorists", but who is they? Is it from the Nazi perspective or from the victims'?

message 7: by Or (new) - rated it 4 stars

Or Shafran | 6 comments Tomer, the book isn't about nazis (not my comments for today)

message 8: by Or (new) - rated it 4 stars

Or Shafran | 6 comments And Keren I have considered this too. The fact that they refer to themselves as God can mean many things. I have interpreted it as being capable of making a change. So far the Jews have lived in fear of the oppressors. They now have to take a stand and be this almighty being that can trample down anyone in his path. And God isn't always against killing. Like in the city of Sdom God has killed everyone in the city. Only those he righteous in a sense he preserved. You can connect it to this idea that only the morally right people will survive and therefor the oppressors must die. You get my drift?

message 9: by Or (new) - rated it 4 stars

Or Shafran | 6 comments he found* righteous

message 10: by Or (new) - rated it 4 stars

Or Shafran | 6 comments In his last book "Night" he talked a lot about questioning religion. I find this book kind of doing the same thing but in a much more subtle way. This notion that God is against killing and he has also pointed out other things that God stands for. But the idea of a God is a powerful being that operates beyond our control and knowledge. He pretends to know a lot about God's motives which makes me question what does God really meant to different individuals.

message 11: by Ella (new)

Ella Pinco | 12 comments To Or: How can he believe that God is against killings if the reason people die (according to religious people) is because God decides it is time for them to die? Isn't that the same thing as killing?