The One and Only Ivan The One and Only Ivan discussion

Internal/External Conflict

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack I'm on page 27 and so far it is literally like the best book ever. Everything about it is really good. There isn't much conflict yet but there is a little hint at an internal conflict emerging. Any thoughts?

Christa Farris That early in the book, there isn't much conflict, but as the book progresses, conflict arises. Overall, it is a very good book.

Christa Farris There is a lot of internal conflict because for a lot of the story, Ivan stays alone in his area in the mall so he has a lot of time to think

message 4: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack Oh Christa I see, I am so excited to see what awaits. I am at the part where she is hinting at an uprising conflict put I am not there yet. Oooooohhhhhhhhh, I am so excited!!!

message 5: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack I am now further into the book, and the conflict is now emerging, Ivan is in the mist of an internal conflict with himself and now is asking himself questions about his life and his life at the zoo.

Christa Farris Yeah. One internal conflict that is very important throughout the book is when Ivan is thinking about what his life was like at the zoo. This becomes a conflict because he tries to find a way to figure out what his old life was like.

message 7: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack Yeah, he is constantly evaluating himself with where his life is at at the zoo and how to maker it better up ahead. I also like what Bob and Stella do and what it adds to the story/conflicts.

Christa Farris I agree

message 9: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack I am so excited to see what comes next.

message 10: by Lily (new)

Lily Ritterman-Pena Yes, I agree. The book builds up the conflict very well. The internal and external conflict are very connected. I do not want to spoil what happens though.

message 11: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack Ok, so excited

message 12: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack I am further into the book now (page 130) and the rising action is getting higher and higher, the action is increasing and increasing and now the climax is definable clear. There is an internal conflict and an external conflict that are connected but the internal conflict is definitely what is driving the story.

Christa Farris Yeah. Most of the book, the internal conflict is what drives the story because Ivan is in his cage and he is left to his own thoughts, making most of his conflicts internal

message 14: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack Yeah, there can't really be an external conflict because he is just in his cage and there can't really be an external conflict unless society is treating him bad.

Christa Farris Yeah. I agree

Jordan Yes there can. There can be a external conflict in the flashbacks

Jordan I disagree with you guys.

message 18: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack How can there be a external conflict in the flashbacks?

Jordan Once you get up to that part, it is about ivan before he was in the mall.

message 20: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack ok