If I Stay If I Stay discussion

Internal and External Conflict in If I Stay

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie-Helene (last edited Dec 07, 2015 08:04AM) (new) - added it

Marie-Helene Hi let's talk about conflicts in If I Stay, please no spoilers I'm in the middle of the book. Let's start by naming a bunch of conflicts. Let's start with Mia!

message 2: by Ella (new) - added it

Ella Blank I personally think that the whole book is Mia's internal conflict where she has to decide whether she wants to die or stay. I am only on page 70 so its fine if you give small things away but nothing too important!

Marie-Helene I'm on page 73 so thats perfect and I also agree that so far this book is Mia's internal conflict.

message 4: by Lexie (new) - added it

Lexie Meltzer The main thing that this book is, is all internal conflict. Although sometimes it changes to external, it is mainly internal.

message 5: by Ella (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:45AM) (new) - added it

Ella Blank An obvious example of external conflict is the car crash because she fights actual pain from it. For example, she may have a minor concussion and lung damage because of the collision.

message 6: by Ella (new) - added it

Ella Blank Even though we have been talking about Mia, other characters in the book have been facing conflict too. For example, Adam undergoes the man vs. man conflict where he fights one of the nurses because he wants to see Mia. This is a external conflict.
Also, Mia's grandparents have an internal conflict. This is when they have to live with the fact that their granddaughter is practically dying. Imagine living with the worry that your loved one may die!