Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2015 > I finished! (Post here when you do/did and celebrate.)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Just had this idea so I thought I'd open it up. I know several finished mid-year. If you're still following along with us, please post. Those of you reading, let this be a challenge goal: post here when you are celebrating.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I finished a couple of weeks ago! I am glad I can spend the remaining week reading what I want :)

Like some others have observed, I am definitely planning to read the harder/less interesting books FIRST next year!

message 3: by Neptunalia (new)

Neptunalia (wxguesser1800) I finished on November 7th, but haven't done anything to celebrate. Since I finished, however, I've been reading books that I want to read, not books that I have to read to satisfy a prompt.

I may "cheat" a bit and start on some of the longer books that I have picked out for next year but not actually finish them until after January 1st. That's the book challenge equivalent of the "time-off" award sometimes given out at work.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Adria I have to confess that I have thought the same thing. Getting a headstart on one of the longer books would be great. I will probably wait until closer to the end of the year. I am taking the last week of the year off so maybe I can start Kristin Lavransdatter (1,168 pages! What was I thinking??) :)

message 5: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I totally did this last year. I was reading my book club book A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott. I started it the last week in December and finished it on Jan. 2.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 531 comments I just finished! So excited. I think I'm going to take a picture with all my books from this year to celebrate. I'm not sure I'm going to do the 2016 challenge though. I'm a little booked-out and the 2016 prompts just aren't as interesting to me.

message 7: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5931 comments Mod
Yay me! I just finished! My last book was the Christmas book (and I loved it: A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong).

I really enjoyed this Challenge, it's the first time I've done something like this, and I really liked the "scavenger hunt" aspect of finding books to fit each category. I ended up creating a giant spreadsheet (I do love spreadsheets) and tracking each book I read, and which categories it fit. (I read one book for each Challenge, but a lot of the books I read would have also satisfied other categories.) This made for some interesting statistics. This year, to date (and there will be a few more books for 2015 of course), 68% of the books I read were written by women, and 56% of the books were authors that were new to me. I believe that latter number was pumped up quite a bit for me this year, as I searched outside my "comfort zone" to find books to fulfill certain challenges. This really energized me to read more and more, and more DIFFERENT types of books.

A lot of the "new to me" books were books I ended up hating! But a lot of them were books I loved, too. And even the books I didn't like still had redeeming aspects.

Onward to 2016!!! :-)

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 0 comments I finished a couple of weeks ago as well, and have been celebrating by reading more books! My last book for the prompt was a book that won the Pulitzer Prize: All the Light We Cannot See. It was absolutely fantastic!

I also went out of my comfort zone quite a bit for a few of the prompts, and ended up finding some new favorite authors. I'm pretty excited for the 2016 prompt, although I'm a bit bummed that it's so much shorter. I guess that just means more time for fun books! :)

message 9: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelam) | 56 comments I finished in July, but kept checking the group regularly as I love seeing what everyone is reading every week!

Not sure if I'll do the popsugar 2016 challenge as there are a few prompts that I really don't care for, but I might try with a different challenge, I really enjoyed doing it this year!

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I just finished!! I don't know how I'll celebrate, it's 11:45 so probably bed lol

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (megabou) | 64 comments I just finished my challenge!!! I'm at work and it's about 4:15 in the morning here, so celebrating will have to wait until later.

message 12: by Ray (new)

Ray Jordan I've finally finished the reading challenge a few minutes ago. My final book was "The Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick for my hometown prompt. I'm sorry to say I will not be doing next years challenge. As much fun as I've had on this challenge, I just don't have the time for another one. So for 2016, I plan to read what I want and at my own pace. So for those of you who have chosen the 2016 challenge, I wish you the best of luck.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments I just finished the challenge yesterday! I celebrated by posting on Facebook (haha) and then starting the next Song of Ice and Fire book, which I hadn't been able to fit into the challenge. Happy reading, everyone!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 0 comments I'm so happy to say that I've just finished the challenge. I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish it or not but I'm glad I stuck with it. It's very encouraging that we had lots of support on here from everyone in the challenge. Celebrating by relaxing through the end of the year and enjoying family time . Good luck to everyone still pushing through and great job to everyone who has finished.

message 15: by Brandy (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 260 comments I was one book away on August 8, and have been putting off the final book since then (have read others since... just started a book I hated for the final and I kept finding excuses not to read). I finished it yesterday. Go me!

Posting the list on facebook as my celebration... also? I never have to read that final book, or anything by that author, ever again!

All in all, though, I love this challenge and read a lot of things I loved that I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Excited to do it again for 2016.

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Congratulations!

message 17: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Congratulations lol mind if I ask what this awful final book was? Was it for a book you started but never finished or for book you should have read in hs? I'm guessing those because I don't imagine you'd have read such a horrible book if you had a lot of choices!

message 18: by Kerryann (new)

Kerryann Franklin | 61 comments I've finished that long last. I'm so glad I did this I've read some big old I would never have. It was a great challenge.

message 19: by Staci (new)

Staci Cahis (stacicahis) | 2 comments I read some really amazing (and some not so amazing) books this year thanks to this challenge! So glad I had the opportunity to read so many new genres that I often say I'm going to read then ultimately avoid. Can't wait for the 2016 challenge! :)

message 20: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 33 comments I finished my last book (When Autumn Leaves for author with my same initials) yesterday! I've been doing a book photo challenge of all my books, too, so I uploaded those to facebook for my celebration/brag. :)

message 21: by SANDRA P (new)

SANDRA P  OCHOA OFARRILL (sandyoof) | 4 comments I finished this morning, 2 am! Couldn't celebrate because it was so late, and somehow my partner who is not a reader wasn't too thrilled when he turned around in bed and I shared the achievement. It was great but I'm not planning in doing another one of these challenges for a while!

message 22: by Luella (new)

Luella I finished on Christmas Eve into Christmas around 3 AM by reading The play Ajax by Sophocles.

I celebrated by opening my gift from a holiday gift exchange :)

This was an amazing challenge as I read all kinds of things that I always wanted to and never would have otherwise but I don't think I'll be a part of the 2016 challenge, the whole point was to get me to read again and that I've done. :)

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jcreamer) | 20 comments I finished the third book in my trilogy on Christmas morning.

This challenge and the other one I completed this year pushed me out of my dystopian YA reading rut. I discovered I love Neil Gaiman. I read more adult books (I teach middle school). I read classics I never got around to. Most importantly, I was challenged to read more steadily throughout the year, something that has been a problem in the last several years.

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I finished yesterday. The final prompt was book with bad reviews and my oh my was it a struggle.

I "celebrated" by putting that book in the "need to sell" pile and not back on the book shelf. And then I watched the Harry Potter movie marathon on television.

My library is hosting a reading wrap up event where we're going to discuss our experiences so that will be a type of celebration too. Everyone that finishes the list and turns it in is entered in to a raffle for a prize!

message 26: by Nadine in NY (new)

Oh that's awesome that your library is following the Challenge!!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lrclark83) I finished today. I realized that I didn't have a book for the category "bad reviews" but had read well over the fifty books for the challenge. So I went back and looked at my list for 2015 and was able to find a book that had gotten an average of less than three stars on Amazon and had some terrible Good reads reviews. I finished with a book that I should have read in high school- Lord of the Flies. I've been reading it on and off since July since it wasn't my favorite. Not the best book to wrap up the challenge as I hated it! Looking forward to reading some new books that I received for Christmas and to starting the new challenge in just a few days. Happy reading!

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Potenza | 6 comments WOO HOO!! I finished late last night and really enjoyed this challenge! It definitely stretched my boundaries, introduced me to new authors and provided me with some incredible stories to laugh, cry and discuss. Looking forward to this group in 2016 as I just joined it on Goodreads! :)

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie (sparkingjoyinreading) | 32 comments I finished a few minutes ago. My last book was Of Mice and Men, which I remember having to read in high school, but couldn't remember any of it. This challenge introduced me to some new authors and opened me up to some new genres. I'm looking forward to the new challenge starting in a couple of days!

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan | 2 comments I finished on Monday night! As it was getting close to the end I started worrying that I might not finish in time, but I did it! As much fun as I had doing the challenge this year, I think I'm going to celebrate by taking a break from reading challenges in 2016 and reading more of the books I already own. :)

message 31: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) I finished this afternoon, December 31. But I always intended to finish today. One of my books was a 'book of days' so I read a page each day throughout the year, starting January 1.

I really didn't do anything to celebrate, other than logging all my books here at Goodreads and in my paper list for the year.

I thought the challenge would be more fun, but it seemed to turn my leisure reading into a chore as I read more to tick off the categories than to enjoy what I was reading. I'm glad I did it, but I doubt I'll do another challenge anytime soon.

message 32: by Katherine (last edited Dec 30, 2015 06:39PM) (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments I'm calling it. I guess I technically won the challenge last Tuesday, but I was trying to not count my first book of the year, which I started a day or two before 2015 really started. However, my last book of the year is well over 1,200 pages, and it just ain't gonna happen. I thought I was gonna get way more done over the holidays. So anyway, I'm done, and I suppose I'll count this monstrosity for the new year. I think I deserve to after reading so many freaking pages. Woot.

message 33: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I finished! Woo hoo!

I just ended with The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom for "a book you started but never finished." It's a small book of only 138 pages and every page my thought was how many more pages I needed to read to finish. It was more of a chore than anything else. Hey, there's a reason I never read it.

I'm so excited to be finished. And to have one day to spare. Have to confess, I was nervous that after a strong start to the year, I was going to end without finishing.

My favorite book of the year was The Nightingale. I also loved Eleanor & Park but read that for pleasure as it didn't fit any of my remaining prompts at the time. My least favorite book was From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava.

According to my Goodreads Year in Books, I read 66 books and 18,742 pages this year. Not too shabby, as Adam Sandler would say.

Happy reading everyone! I'll see you all back here on Friday for the start of the new year, new challenge!

message 34: by Luella (new)

Luella Lynn wrote: "I finished this afternoon, December 31. But I always intended to finish today. One of my books was a 'book of days' so I read a page each day throughout the year, starting January 1.

I really didn..."

I agree I ended buying alot of books this year and trading a lot of books this year so I'll think I'll focus on that reading the ones I have laying around. :)

message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane I finished with 1 day to go! The graphic novel Persepolis was my final book. And what a powerful one! War through the eyes of a child brought tears to my eyes.

Looking forward to the 2016 challenge.

message 36: by ShannonT (new)

ShannonT | 2 comments Finished this morning by finishing the Book You Were Supposed To Read In High School Challenge, Frankenstein!
Congratulations to all who have finished and Good Luck to all still working on it!

message 37: by Nadine in NY (new)

Katherine: what is the 1200+ page monstrosity? is it worth the effort?

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Kaste (brite0321) | 26 comments I just finished! This was a tough challenge for myself. I added seven extra books which didn't count towards any category, but I enjoyed. I have several series books which I put on home doe the challenge, but I fit them into categories for next year. I am going to print off my year in books and brag to as many people as I can! I am so excited for next year and got four more people to join the challenge with me!

message 39: by Alexis (new)

Alexis O (saboknits) | 76 comments Hooray! I just finished the challenge about a half hour ago. I mostly enjoyed doing the challenge. I was even able to read one extra book outside of the challenge this year too, which was a huge accomplishment for me. This is the most books i have ever read in a single year. Congrats everyone else!

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Finished! Just in time too, woopee :)

message 41: by Moggsterb (last edited Dec 31, 2015 10:22AM) (new)

Moggsterb | 4 comments Finished with 6 hours to go.

I've read more books in the last year than I've read in the last 10.

I've also read (and enjoyed) a lot of books that ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered reading.

My favourites were Post Office, The Go-Between, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Last Exit to Brooklyn.

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (ohmandy70) So glad I found this group! I completed the '15 challenge on my own and in looking at the '16 challenge knew I would need a few suggestions. Love the idea of sharing ideas in this group.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy Brack (amysue713) I finished during lunch today! I made it hard on myself, and kept my trilogy for last. It was hard to get through, and I made it just in the nick of time. I read so many books outside my normal style, and found many new favorites. I'm totally on board for the 2016 challenge, and can't wait! I thoroughly enjoy having prompts to help me decide what I'll read next.

message 44: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Did I mention I finished? Well, I did. Last one was the "bad reviews" which is quite unfortunate since, often enough, books get bad reviews because they happen to be pretty bad...

I was leaving town to visit my parents with that slot empty - so I picked a book at the station which had been described as completely pointless by reviewers on a TV show: Un amour impossible by Christine Angot. Let's just say that the reviewers were not wrong. Finishing the challenge was the only satisfaction I got from that book!

Anyway I'm very pleased I did this challenge; pushed me to read many book I wouldn't have otherwise. Let's do it again!

message 45: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 4 comments It's 10:27 PM in Portugal and I finished! I'm so proud of myself...I thought I couldn't do it, but I pushed myself and read four books between yesterday and today!

I've loved doing this challenge. I never read too much throughout the year because of university, but 2015 was definitely an improvement!

Congratulations everyone! :D

message 46: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Congrats to everyone who pulled it off at the final hour!!

message 47: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashleeg) I just finished!! :-D

message 48: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments Nadine wrote: "Katherine: what is the 1200+ page monstrosity? is it worth the effort?"

It's The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Definitely worth it, but it took me a bit longer than I had hoped to really get into the plot, because there's just so much world building (which is also good, just tedious, at times). I'm getting through it much quicker now and look forward to reading the second book in the series in the new year, as well. Just not during the holidays.

message 49: by Malgorzata (last edited Jan 01, 2016 03:06AM) (new)

Malgorzata | 24 comments Finished on NYE - yay! My final book was A Clash of Kings and if it wasn't for the fact that it was really quiet at work, I don't think I would have made it.

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments I finished last night about 9pm so cut it fine but just managed it. My last book was the short story collection The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter which in all honesty I didn't really enjoy. Well done everyone x

« previous 1