The Official Darynda Jones Fan Group discussion

Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2)
This topic is about Second Grave on the Left
SECOND GRAVE ON THE LEFT Re-Read > Chapters 4-6 of SECOND GRAVE ON THE LEFT

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Dec 07, 2015 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie (amgiammarino) Hello Grim Readers, and welcome to our re-read of SECOND GRAVE ON THE LEFT! Today we will be recapping chapters 4-6, and posting chapters 7-9 on Wattpad.

You can find chapters 7-9 here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/5574782...
We will be discussing these chapters on Wednesday, 12/9!

This thread is where you can discuss chapters 4-6, but be considerate of any newbies who are reading for the first time and keep your spoilers to a minimum!

And, some exciting news! Anyone who comments in this discussion is eligible to win one early copy of THE DIRT ON NINTH GRAVE!! Winners will be chosen on Wednesday, 12/9.

Now, diving back into SECOND GRAVE ON THE LEFT: Charley just left Reyes's incorporeal form in her apartment after vowing to find his mortal body and save him. Reyes is not happy. Charley heads over to her office--Cookie told her that FBI agents are waiting for her there--and stops to say hello to her dad (who seems strangely bothered by something).

The FBI agents in Charley's office are investigating the appearance of Mimi Jacobs. Charley plays dumb about the whole incident, and as the agents leave her office, she reveals to Cookie that she could tell that they weren't real FBI agents. Charley has Cookie concentrate on finding a connection between Mimi and Janelle York.

Just then, Uncle Bob storms in and tells Charley that Warren Jacobs, Mimi's husband, has been taken into custody. A car dealer that he stalked and threatened was found dead last night. Charley, in turn, tells him that FBI impersonators are poking around, looking for Mimi. (She also lets a few choice words about Uncle Bob placing a tail on her slip out. Charley is not pleased.)

As she heads down to the station to see Warren, Charley pops by her friend Pari's tattoo shop. Pari can see auras (and maybe more) so Charley asks her if she's ever seen a demon. Pari tells a story about a near-death experience where she heard the name of a being powerful enough to destroy the earth, and how she subsequently tried to summon this being during an ill-advised teenage seance. Something showed up and scarred up Pari's leg as it yanked her down a flight of stairs. Since that day, Pari believes in demons, and will never say the name of the being she summoned out loud. After some prodding, she writes it down for Charley: Rey'aziel. Reyes. Well, crap.

A stunned Charley leaves Pari's shop and decides to figure out who, exactly, is tailing her. After a very tricky maneuver involving a dirty alleyway, she realizes her tail is Swopes. Great. But Charley strikes a deal with Swopes: they will help each other to find Reyes. But as Charley and Swopes head back to Charley's apartment so Charley can change (again, it was a very dirty alleyway), Reyes appears and threatens Swopes if Swopes continues to look for his body. Charley reassigns Swopes to find out who Dead Trunk Guy is.

The last time Reyes appeared to Charley, his form changed to show his wounds and he gasped and suddenly disappeared. Charley, afraid that Reyes has died, heads to the asylum to visit Rocket, the ghost that knows all the names of the dead and carves them onto the asylum walls as they pass. From Rocket, Charley finds out that Mimi is not dead (hooray!) and Reyes should not be here in the first place, but his corporeal body is still alive (phew!).

But, again, Reyes does not want Charley to look for him. He appears in the asylum, ready to swing his blade at Rocket, but Charley blocks him with her body and ends up getting clipped with Reyes's sword. Charley seems fine, though Rocket is scared off, and Reyes tells her that the demons are torturing his body (which explains why he suddenly disappeared earlier).

Charley is still upset from her conversation with Pari, so she asks Reyes why he hurt her friend and was so willing to hurt Rocket. According to Reyes, he was not the thing that was summoned by Pari. Charley seems to be struggling a bit with Reyes's violence and cruelty, but he argues that he was a general in hell. What does she expect?

Charley leaves to go see Warren in jail, and runs into Officer Taft and his evil little sister ghost, who Charley calls Strawberry Shortcake. Strawberry is unhappy that he brother is dating a skank. Charley promises to yell at Taft for dating a ho if Strawberry goes into the asylum to check on Rocket and see if she can find his elusive sister ghost. Strawberry comes back and reports that his sister ghost is named Blue, and she doesn't know where Reyes's body is either.

Cookie calls to report that Janelle York died in a car accident, though Mimi had sworn she was murdered. To be fair, the car accident does seem like it took place under mysterious circumstances. To be continued...

Extra points for discussion:
1. Do you like Swopes or think he's annoying?
2. Is there more to Reyes's sword than meets the eye, or, in this case, doesn't meet the eye, since the wounds it inflicts are invisible? I worry every time Charley gets scratched.
3. Who is your favorite of Charley's ghost friends? I love Rocket.
4. How do you think Mimi and Janelle are connected?
5. Why do you think Charley's dad seemed so upset when she saw him in Chapter 4?

message 2: by Shardallinee (last edited Dec 08, 2015 03:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shardallinee | 48 comments 1. Do you like Swopes or think he's annoying?
Swopes? Nah, I don't think he's annoying. He's brave, stalking Charley, looking for Reyes... knowing, or imagining who they both are and what they are capable of. Especially when they are being annoyed. *coughs* Reyes *coughs*

2. Is there more to Reyes's sword than meets the eye, or, in this case, doesn't meet the eye, since the wounds it inflicts are invisible? I worry every time Charley gets scratched.
It is part of Reyes' powers. The sword was explained in 'Brighter than the Sun' if I remember correctly. I did gasp when she got scratched with it at first. The fact that the wounds are invisible and the true damage resides inside the human body (severed spinal chord) is eerie... and so very cool. In a twisted sort of way.

I would love to hug Rocket. I have a soft spot (I know, unbeliveable) for Strawberry Shortcake (SS for short - LMAO!). She is creepy beyond words and her character is awesomely written. But I truly adore Angel. He is sweet and kind and... later we get to find out more about him. I want to hug him sooo bad...

Oh! I know, I know!! *jumps up and imitates Hermione with her hand raised to the sky*
*Snape refuses to acknowledge her.*
*her hand goes slowly down.*

5. Why do you think Charley's dad seemed so upset when she saw him in Chapter 4?
He is troubled. Charley is constantly in danger. Sometimes she steps right into trouble herself and sometimes she's pushed into it by someone else. Never a dull moment, to be sure. :D
Gosh, I love these series... <3

OTHELLA - MICHELE | 18 comments 3. I love Charley's Aunt! I think she's hysterical!!! I had an Aunt with the same name. LOL, I tell you, if she could come back, she'd be just like Charley's Aunt!

Kira | 15 comments 1. Do you like Swopes or think he's annoying?
-At first I think Swopes and Charley would be a thing w/ all his abs and good looks right charleeey?*winks* But they have a healthy doze of respect; admiration and tons of sarcasms for each other. in other words, they're friends they just don't know it yet. :)

-Presumable it's his manifestation of power and protection for Charley. His scythe may not harm her or anyone he loves dearly.

-Oooooh! I wanna say Angel, But SS have a sweet spot in my heart. That annoying and conniving li'l biatch kid is just like Charley at times, I see a li'l bit of her in this ghost kid and she's fun and she protects Rocket and his sis! :)

- Darn it! If I say/answer this question, it will be a spoiler. *wink*

-Coz he knew... that he used his child in a way that a parent shouldnt've never done or do. He took advantage of her and still he was afraid of her, he keeps her at arms length at times.

Linda Parish | 78 comments 1. Swoops is cool. He gets mad, but then gets over it. I love how patient he is with Charlie. I love the way he puts up with all her shenanigans.
2. The sword really intrigues me. I think there is definitely more to it then we've learned so far. Or maybe I just love picturing Reyes swing it?
3. Reyes, Reyes, Reyes. But thankfully since he's not really a ghost, I have to choose aunt Lillian. That woman cracks me up. I think she's having more fun in death then she did when she was living lol.
4. As far as how Mimi and Janelle are connected? Shss, that a spoiler

Linda Parish | 78 comments 5. I think Charlie's dad is worried about her and a tad bit hurt that she doesn't trust him enough to confide in him.

message 7: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Bee | 50 comments 1. In the beginning, Swopes reminded me of a boy in my 1st grade class that use to pull my hair. I found him annoying too, but he grew on me. Swopes, not my classmate.

2. There’s definitely more to Reye’s sword than meets the eye. It can severe a victim’s spinal column from the inside, and no doctor or coroner can detect what happened to said victim. His sword left no external trauma.

3. Rocket is my favorite Charley’s ghost friend. He like an overgrown teddy bear you just want to hug and protect at the same time.

4. Knowing what I know now, I can only reply based on when I first read the series. Back then, I suspected that Janelle was running for someone. That someone was also after Mimi, and that why she lied to Warren
about Janelle’s death? Now Mimi is missing. Hmm there’s something definitely
fishy in Denmark.

5. Leland was feeling melancholy while examining Charley’s childhood photos. He left smudges on the dark shadow lurking in the background of the photos.
I suspect Leland had put on his detective cap, trying to solve the mystery of the shadow. And like they say…. Only the shadow knows.

Mordiallity | 13 comments 1. I like him!! I think he will have a big role ahead!
2. His sword is a part of Reyes. But as every weapon it is dangerous.
3.Simply, Rocket!! :)
4. :D :D
5. I think he is scared for Charley!

Angie (amgiammarino) Lori wrote: "1. Swoops is cool. He gets mad, but then gets over it. I love how patient he is with Charlie. I love the way he puts up with all her shenanigans.
2. The sword really intrigues me. I think there is ..."

Lori, you're the winner of an ARC! Congrats! Message me with your mailing address! :)

message 10: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Bee | 50 comments Congrats Lori

Linda Parish | 78 comments What a great way to start the day. Thank you so much!!!

Linda Parish | 78 comments Thank you Angie

message 13: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Bee | 50 comments <3

Shardallinee | 48 comments Congratulations Lori!! :D

Linda Parish | 78 comments Thanks Shardallinee. And big thank you to Ms. Darynda for her talented writing and generous giveaways. I received my travel mug in mail today also. I love it!
PS. Thanks Angelique, for everything you do to help Ms. Darynda with these discussions and giveaways.

Mordiallity | 13 comments Congratulations Lori!

Linda Parish | 78 comments Thank you

message 18: by Tgt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tgt | 22 comments 1. Do you like Swopes or think he's annoying? I like Swopes and his quick, dry wit.

Reyes's sword is like the swift hand of justice.

3. Who is your favorite of Charley's ghost friends? Angel is a favorite. The thought of having a ghost on your payroll is hilarious. I enjoy Strawberry Shortcake, too, even though she's a bit creepy at times.

4. How do you think Mimi and Janelle are connected? If I hadn't read this before, at this point I would think Mimi didn't have a hand in Janelle's disappearance, but she did know something about it.

5. Why do you think Charley's dad seemed so upset when she saw him in Chapter 4? He knows there's more to Charley than what meets the eye. Her father is wondering if she has the ability to cause the spine severing injuries. Seeing that ghostly image in all of her pictures isn't helping matters, either.

message 19: by Tgt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tgt | 22 comments CORRECTION to #5: I think Mimi and Janelle knew something about Hanah's disappearance.