Science and Natural History discussion

Reading Recommendations > Group Read Nominations for January 2016

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Laurencius (andreaslaurencius) | 204 comments Mod
What will be a great book to start our year 2016?

Please give your suggestions here and we'll set up the poll before Christmas (December the 20th).

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison Hegan (allisonhegan) | 2 comments No More Endlings: Saving Species One Story at a Time

Dear Andreas,

This may be a bit uncouth, but may I suggest my own book, No More Endlings: Saving Species One Story at a Time.

Here is some information about No More Endlings:

50% of the royalties from book sales will go to conservation.

A blend of story-telling, science, and imagery, No More Endlings shares the personal accounts of those working to protect endangered species. Readers of this incredible anthology will gain a fresh look at the lives of some well-beloved species as well as those lesser-known. Filled with intimate details from each contributor’s journey, as well as inspiration for those of us who may never make it into the jungles of South America or the grasslands of Africa, No More Endlings is the perfect read for anyone interested in wildlife, conservation, and a good story. Chapter authors, ranging from National Geographic Explorers, to college professors and internationally recognized conservationists and activists, will inspire readers to take action and ensure a world with no more endlings.

You can learn more at: www.allisonhegan.com

Kind regards,
Allison

message 3: by Andreas (new)

I can't access it from Kindle Store. Is it available now? In all countries? I love wildlives. If reading a book that will take me to these areas around the globe means doing something to save them, I'm definitely in.

Your book has been in our to read list and will be featured on the poll. Best of luck with the book and God bless your effort.

message 5: by Andreas (new)

Yes, of course. The book has been put on our to read list.

message 8: by Rupinder (new)

Rupinder (rupindersayal) I would like to suggest the following 2 books 1. "Life at the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology" by Johnjoe McFadden and Jim Al-Khalili.
2. "Life's Greatest Secret: The Race to Crack the Genetic Code" by Matthew Cobb.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Mueller | 8 comments I would like to suggest the book The Next Species The Future of Evolution in the Aftermath of Man.

message 10: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Cunningham (dcunning11235) If folks aren't tired of molecular level bio, this has been on my to-read list for a while (and now I might make myself make the time to read it): The Machinery of Life

From the social sciences: Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts

From physics, I'd be happy to re-read: Time Reborn: From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison Hegan (allisonhegan) | 2 comments Dear Andreas,

No More Endlings isn't in eBook format just yet, but will be in the next couple of months. Thank you!

Best,
Allison

Allison wrote: "No More Endlings: Saving Species One Story at a Time

Dear Andreas,

This may be a bit uncouth, but may I suggest my own book, No More Endlings: Saving Species One Story at a Time.
..."

message 12: by Andreas (new)

Interesting books. All have been added to our group's list.
@ Enema: Life on the Edge was our group read last month. You must have missed the discussion:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

@ Allison: I look forward to reading it. Physical book might be hard to access internationally during its launch.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Mueller | 8 comments The Next species The Next The Future of Evolution in the Aftermath of Man.

message 15: by Hank (new)

Hank (cosciencewriter) | 1 comments How about Bill Nye's book about evolution? It's called Undeniable: The Science of Creation. Another option may be A New History of Life: The Radical New Discoverie about the Origins and Evolution of Life on Earth by Peter Ward and Joe Kirshvink.

message 16: by Andreas (new)

All are very interesting books. Happy holiday everyone. I will feature all the books in our poll. Good luck.

message 17: by Andreas (new)

Michelle wrote: "The Next species The Next The Future of Evolution in the Aftermath of Man."

Thank you Michelle, I almost missed that.

message 18: by Andreas (new)

Poll created:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

15 books to choose from.

message 19: by Piyush (new)

Piyush Tiwari | 1 comments Let's, start the new year with reading of relativity and Quantum Mechanics

message 20: by Andreas (new)

Happy to. Do you have a book/some books in particular, Piyush?

message 21: by Andreas (new)

So far, each of the 15 books that were nominated in the poll got at least 1 vote.
It's not easy to choose since they are all good.

Shall we pick two winners each month? Members aren't required to read the books but the members who do have the books can explain (I prefer detailed explanations) about those books.

Is this a good idea? It saves time and money and people will be able to learn more. We will rely much upon the individuals who own the books.

message 22: by Bette (new)

Bette | 17 comments Andreas: If every book that was nominated got one vote, then that was a tough choice for sure.
I'm quite happy to read - or at least try to get into - any book the group chooses. However, I'd like to make a plea that we pick the books at least a month in advance as a recognition that some of us on a limited budget would then have time to get books from our library systems.
In other words, we choose March's book by the end of January. As it is, in this particular case, my library doesn't have Relativity and Quantum Mechanics and so I won't be reading it . And I understand that in certain cases of very new books, I might not be able to participate because the book hasn't reached my library yet,, but I'd be able to participate a good deal more often if we had more advance notice of what was coming up.
Is anyone else in this situation, or is it just me?

message 23: by Andreas (new)

I think some members think this way at some points.

There are more than one books that have 4 votes or more. Should we still only choose 1 book for each month?

I like your idea of choosing a book two months in advance. Shall we pick two books from this month's poll: one for January and one for February. And then after this we'll set up a poll for March's book?

Any opinion from other moderators or members?

message 24: by Bette (new)

Bette | 17 comments Obviously, since I raised this issue, my answer is yes. Please choose two books - one for January and the next one for February. : )

message 25: by Andreas (new)

Ok.