8-1 discussion

What are your reading goals?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jabiz (new)

Jabiz Raisdana | 1 comments Mod
Share your reading goal from the checklist in this discussion.

message 2: by Eloise (new)

Eloise Benissan | 1 comments My reading goal at this point is to identify the critical points and moments in my books and I want to start going a lot deeper in my note taking because right now I feel like I am just at the surface.

message 3: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Duncan | 1 comments A reading goal for me would be to do more long writes focusing on themes and their relation to the characters. I have looked a lot at characters, their motivation and interpreting their ideas. I want to look more at themes and going deeper into them. I also want to work on writing more long writes, because I have taken a lot of notes but I haven't really strung my ideas all together in a while.

message 4: by Om (new)

Om Manghani | 2 comments From now until the end of this calendar year, I want to make sure that I make more connections between the books I am reading, myself, and the world around me. Also, look at the author and how they have written to examine their craft.
I have been taking a lot of notes, and been able to do mot of the things on the checklist- I want to keep up the work that I have been doing before Chiang Mai and add these two bits in.

message 5: by Rhea (new)

Rhea Shrivastava | 2 comments My reading goal for this year is to be able to write long about more books and be able to write about literary elements that have been incorporated into the books so that I can understand what I read better and therefore move from book to book faster.

message 6: by Ali (new)

Ali | 1 comments My goal is to be able to identify critical moments more clearly, and not just make random notes. And then write long about those critical moments.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom McLaughlin | 1 comments My reading goal is doing more long writes to further develop my thinking. I currently make all my thinking visible through notes, and I'm not really developing that as far as I could be. Long writes will help me go deeper down and really understand the text.

message 8: by Rhea (new)

Rhea (rhea094) | 1 comments I have just started We Were Liars, and it looks pretty light and easy, and it's not too hard to predict deeper meanings. My goal is to get my thinking down on paper, because I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm reading but not actually writing it down. I want to practice using the various strategies I know (timeline, inner/outer sides of a character, long writes etc.) in order to structure my thinking and synthesize it.

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip Haryanto | 1 comments I've been long writing for a majority of my work, although some long writes don't push my thinking farther. I think I need to annotate the text to support the claims and inferences I'm making. Additionally, annotating the text can help the solidify the context and ensure that my information is relatively accurate and can correspond to the story.

message 10: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 1 comments My goal is to make my thinking visible. I need to jot notes of what I think and make connections with my thinking and the main theme. I write long to gather my ideas together and use other tools like the mine shaft or the tree to help me to develop my thinking through the main theme.

message 11: by Adhvay (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:37PM) (new)

Adhvay Krishnan | 1 comments I have been doing frequent note taking in my book but what I need to do support my claims with evidence and put all my thoughts in my notebook so that I can keep track of what I thought about a book. I can look into themes of the books I read to see if there is pattern with the books I read . I can also do some long writes so I can develop my thinking throughout a book. I need to string my ideas together to long write.

message 12: by Alessia (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:38PM) (new)

Alessia Filocca (filoc1209) | 1 comments My reading goal is to see how my predictions and claims evolve throughout the book. I also really want to explore themes and make links between themes in different books. I've been focusing a lot on character maps and charts so long writing is definitely something that I am working towards doing more often to group all my ideas together.

message 13: by Chien (new)

Chien YH | 1 comments My goal would be to use my noted to do long writes and go deeper into the character or their lives and find out their struggles or feelings..

message 14: by Shrishti (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:39PM) (new)

Shrishti Khetan (shrishti_k) | 1 comments My reading goal is that I want to start making connections to help me analyse various themes, I also need to start doing more long writes to help me dig deeper into a text. I'm also going to set a time limit for how long I read a book, I'm going to aim for 2 books a month.

message 15: by Rhea (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:41PM) (new)

Rhea Shrivastava | 2 comments Rhea wrote: "I have just started We Were Liars, and it looks pretty light and easy, and it's not too hard to predict deeper meanings. My goal is to get my thinking down on paper, because I spend a lot of time t..."
I think that is a good goal if you are reading that book. It needs quite a bit of visible thinking When I was reading We Were Liars predictions were very helpful to help understand the book better. Character maps were also good as there are quite a few characters to keep track of.

message 16: by Om (new)

Om Manghani | 2 comments Isabella wrote: "A reading goal for me would be to do more long writes focusing on themes and their relation to the characters. I have looked a lot at characters, their motivation and interpreting their ideas. I wa..."

Sound good. Just one tip- you can create character maps, in which you have both the characters motivations as well as the themes. This could help you find the balance. You can split in into four sections- the motivations of the characters, possible themes, conflicts, as well as any data. This covers the ladder of abstraction as well!

message 17: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Griggs | 1 comments I want to try to take notes more frequently, but only for things that are relevant to help me think deeper about the book. Then i want to use those notes to help me write long about the main issues or moments. I also want to write more about the characters and why they make the decisions they make.

message 18: by Aarushi (new)

Aarushi Sachdeva | 1 comments My reading goal at this point is to notice the similarities between themes in the books I read. I want to string the similarities I notice together into on long write where I am able to make all my thinking visible and, include evidence from each book to show the similarities.

message 19: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1 comments My reading goal at this point is to identify the themes and critical moments in the book. I also want to keep my track of reading visible and clear so when I look back at the book, I remember what method I used. I also want a way of showing evidence in the book from what I have written.