The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

95 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Laura NT"s task: Art and Science

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 09, 2015 11:54AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Laura NT's task: Art and Science
Art and science have many similarities. They both require creativity, devotion, and a stubbornness to stick with things through hard times. I am a scientist working in a lab that studies cellular motor proteins and their roles in breast cancer. Most days I get by on sheer stubbornness.

For this task, read ONE book that fulfills one of the below options.

Required: State which option you chose when you post.

Option A: Read a non-fiction book with the Main Page Genres of: Science>Biology, Science>Natural History, Science>Evolution, Science>Chemistry, Science>Environment, or Science>Genetics.

Option B: In the lab, you have to juggle many things at once. Read a short story collection. This does not include omnibus editions that package several previously published books into one book, but must be obvious that it is a short story collection from the description.

Option C: In science you are regularly learning new techniques and learning new subjects. Read a book that is #1 in a series. This must be a series you have not read before. It must be obvious this is the first in the series from the book’s Goodreads page.
Required: State that you have not read any book in the series before.

Optional: Hard work is expected in many careers, art and science not excepting. And you rarely get praised for the hard work you do. Write and send a fan letter to your favorite author (or one of your favorite authors) praising them for their hard work and beautifully written books. You may send the letter by snail mail, email, Facebook message, Goodreads message, etc. Tells us which author you sent the letter to when you post.


message 2: by Laura (last edited Dec 09, 2015 01:16PM) (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments placeholder


message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments placeholder


message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1694 comments Option B: Does this include anthologies (stories by multiple authors)? or is it only a collection of stories by a single author?


message 6: by Adria (new)

Adria What about a book that has only "Science" as a main page genre? Or only "Environment" ? The book I'm thinking about has both of them, but not together.


message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Julia wrote: "Option B: Does this include anthologies (stories by multiple authors)? or is it only a collection of stories by a single author?"

Either work for Option B.


message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Adria wrote: "What about a book that has only "Science" as a main page genre? Or only "Environment" ? The book I'm thinking about has both of them, but not together."

The book needs to have both main page genres.


message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Laura wrote: "Adria wrote: "What about a book that has only "Science" as a main page genre? Or only "Environment" ? The book I'm thinking about has both of them, but not together."

The book needs to have both m..."


Laura, I think Adria means that her book has both Science and Environment listed as Main Page Genres but they are listed singularly, not as embedded Science>Environment.


message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3671 comments Adria wrote: "What about a book that has only "Science" as a main page genre? Or only "Environment" ? The book I'm thinking about has both of them, but not together."

You should probably provide a link to the specific book, so the task moderator can verify.


message 11: by Laura (last edited Dec 16, 2015 07:35AM) (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Bea wrote: "Laura wrote: "Adria wrote: "What about a book that has only "Science" as a main page genre? Or only "Environment" ? The book I'm thinking about has both of them, but not together."

The book needs ..."


Oh, in that case, it is fine. As long as Science and Environment are Main Page Genres of the book. They do not need to be linked together as Science>Environment.


message 12: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments For option B: is this one good? Nederland leest de mooiste korte verhalen


message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Bellagbear wrote: "For option B: is this one good? Nederland leest de mooiste korte verhalen"

Yes, that would work.


message 14: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments For Option C I was planning on reading Fatal Affair as #1 in a series that I had not read before. But then I noticed when you go to the series listing there is a 0.5 prequel novella listed. Am I OK with Fatal Affair as #1 in the series or is the prequel considered the "first book"?

Thanks!


message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 672 comments Would this book work for option B?

The Soul of a Doctor Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death by Susan Pories . It is listed as an Anthology with many authors.

Thank you-


message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments KarenF wrote: "For Option C I was planning on reading Fatal Affair as #1 in a series that I had not read before. But then I noticed when you go to the series listing there is a 0.5 prequel novella ..."

Fatal Affair is the first in the series, and that works. Should be listed as #1 (as Fatal Affair is), and prequels don't count for this. :)


message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Susan wrote: "Would this book work for option B?

The Soul of a Doctor Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death by Susan Pories. It is listed as an Anthology with many authors.

Thank you-"


It's not quite what I was thinking of (but maybe I should have been). It fits the criteria, and I say yes, it works. And I'm now very interested in the book. ;) Maybe I need to read it, too.


message 18: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Laura wrote: "KarenF wrote: "For Option C I was planning on reading Fatal Affair as #1 in a series that I had not read before. But then I noticed when you go to the series listing there is a 0.5 p..."

Thank you!


message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 672 comments Laura wrote: "Susan wrote: "Would this book work for option B?

The Soul of a Doctor Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death by Susan Pories. It is listed as an Anthology with many authors.

Thank you-"..."


Thank for allowing it!


message 20: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Laura-
I would have PMed you, but your profile is private. You suggested sending a note to an author; I have done that in the past, but not for this task. I do, however, want to thank you for persevering in the lab. I am a survivor of an ovarian cancer with an 89% fatality rate. I want you to know that people with cancer and their loved ones think of you and your coworkers during their darkest and most miraculous hours. Thanks for pushing through the frustrating days and the setbacks. Happy New Year.
Jonquil


message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Jonquil wrote: "Laura-
I would have PMed you, but your profile is private. You suggested sending a note to an author; I have done that in the past, but not for this task. I do, however, want to thank you for pers..."


Jonquil,
Thank you for your kind encouragement. Research is slow going, and many days it seems we make no progress. Thank you for the reminder that there is a very good reason for doing what we are doing!
Laura


message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins Science > Biology


message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Claire wrote: "The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins Science > Biology"

That's good!


message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments Would this work for Option 3 #1 in series

The Borgias

#1 in Celebrated Crimes

Thanks


message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Cindy wrote: "Would this work for Option 3 #1 in series

The Borgias

#1 in Celebrated Crimes

Thanks"


Yes, that works because it's the first in the series. As long as you haven't read it previously.


back to top