The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

96 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.16 - Morgan (faeriesfolly)'s task: Don't say I never got you anything!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:00PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
25.16 - Morgan (faeriesfolly)'s task: Don't say I never got you anything!

The amount of books that I have on hand from the library, The Book Thing -- a free book swap in Baltimore, Netgalley, and all sorts of other places is currently OVERWHELMING. So right now one of my major criteria for what to read next is: IS THIS BOOK CURRENTLY IN ONE OF THE STACKS ON MY BEDROOM FLOOR?

Next week I will also be moving to the night shift at the nuclear pharmacy (we make diagnostics used by doctors in nuclear medicine and cardiology offices), so my schedule and migraines will be all topsy-turvy for awhile.

In the interest of decluttering (both house and brain) and adjusting to my new nocturnal schedule, I'm not going to focus on finishing the Winter season of SRC. But I want to assist others who might have the same precarious piles of their own sitting around!

For this task you will read TWO books, ONE book from each category.
BOTH authors should be NEW TO YOU. Because this whole night thing is going to be new to me!

::BOOK ONE::
Read a a book that you got for free (library, netgalley, borrowed from a friend, received as a gift, $0 on Kindle/Nook/etc.) where the AUTHOR is new to you.

::BOOK TWO::
Read a second book that you got for free, but in a DIFFERENT way than book one. Remember the author still has to be new to you.

REQUIRED: When claiming STATE how you came by the books and that the authors are new to you.

Example post:

Morgan Faeriesfolly

Both authors are new to me!

Book One -- The Book Thing -- **book link** -- **author link**

Book Two -- Netgalley -- **book link** -- **author link**


message 2: by Morgan (last edited Jan 01, 2016 06:57AM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments ::Defining a "free" book::

For the purposes of this task, the mods and I decided it would be easiest to go with ZERO MONETARY EXCHANGE.

So while receiving a book as a gift would work. Buying a book with a gift certificate would NOT.

Reading a free Kindle book would work.
Using your Prime or Unlimited subscription, which makes the book free, would NOT.

Free Audible book = yes.
Purchasing with an audible credit = no.

::Defining 'New to you' author::

As long as they are new to you as of this season of the SRC (not read before the start of December 2015), they will count--even if you are reading others by the same author for other tasks this season.

If a book has co authors or multiple authors ALL of them must be new to you as of the start of Winter challenge.

I'll be updating message 3 with more things that work/don't work as they come up in the questions! :D


message 3: by Morgan (last edited Dec 11, 2015 10:58AM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments FREE BOOKS!

--> Free Public Library! or Free Online Digital Library! (not one you *pay* for), Hoopla Digital, Overdrive
--> $0 on Kindle/other ereaders
--> Librivox
--> Project Gutenburg
--> Netgalley
--> Goodreads Giveaway (other sweepstakes giveaways)
--> Gift
--> Book Swap with a friend
-->The Book Thing (Baltimore, MD) http://www.bookthing.org/ or places like it. (ex. http://littlefreelibrary.org/ or http://www.bookcrossing.com/)

Not Free :(
Via subscription -- to an online library where you pay, amazon prime, kindle unlimited, audible credits, etc.
Via gift certificate -- it equates to money being exchanged.

Kathy G. wrote: "What about books I get free through the kids' book orders--
they pay--- I get free books? (I'm a teacher)"

I think what this relates to the most closely is purchasing a book via gift certificate. Even though you are not personally purchasing, the transaction is funded by the book orders of the students and then those purchases are tallied up in exchange for a certain # of books.

I ruled out "gift" since it wasn't something purchased/chosen for you by the students.

They aren't directly money exactly, but money was exchanged.


message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments Ohh I love you - me and my poor Netgalley addiction!


message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 31 comments Does winning it in a giveaway count as free?


message 7: by Pia (last edited Dec 08, 2015 08:38AM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Another Netgalley addict here. Love this task !!!

I'm trying to fit the 40+ books I'm supposed to review before March into the SRC and other online challenges


Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Awesome-ness. I have a couple of books I just received as gifts from a dear friend and the stack from the library :)

Thanks Morgan....LOVE THIS TASK!!!!


message 9: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments As I read mostly Kindle ebooks and these cannot be gifted directly in Germany, my friends give me Amazon gift certificates so I can enjoy my book addiction. Does this count as a free book?


message 10: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 08, 2015 08:36AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3654 comments Just to be clear
"The public library" is different from ...

"The little free library" (i.e. it looks like a large birdhouse on a pole and people drop off their used books and anyone can pick them up ... http://littlefreelibrary.org/) There's one in my neighborhood park.

Yes?


message 11: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments I just want to issue a quick thank you, because I have the exact same issue. <3


message 12: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Dee wrote: "Ohh I love you - me and my poor Netgalley addiction!"

My pile is getting shameful, and I want to request more! lol. I've just gotten up to 50% ratio, because I didn't think I would get any approvals at first...then I got SO MANY. Definitely an easy addiction to get sucked into! haha. <3


message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Julia wrote: "Does winning it in a giveaway count as free?"

Yep! That would work. :D


message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Pia wrote: "Another Netgalley addict here. Love this task !!!

I'm trying to fit the 40+ books I'm supposed to review before March into the SRC and other online challenges"


Netgalleyyyyyyy. <3 I have gotten a few books I was stunned to get approval for and they are definitely getting priority!

I only really have one challenge other than this and it's a solo thing and no matter what I read I can find a place for it, so it works out pretty good! Still want to slot as much as I can here though too.


message 15: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Awesome-ness. I have a couple of books I just received as gifts from a dear friend and the stack from the library :)

Thanks Morgan....LOVE THIS TASK!!!!"


You're welcome! 'Tis the season! <3
Glad you like it!


message 16: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Fandury wrote: "As I read mostly Kindle ebooks and these cannot be gifted directly in Germany, my friends give me Amazon gift certificates so I can enjoy my book addiction. Does this count as a free book?"

Unfortunately gift certificate would equal a monetary exchange for the ebook, BUT if you read any Kindle books that are $0 in price those would work.


message 17: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Just to be clear
"The public library" is different from ...

"The little free library" (i.e. it looks like a large birdhouse on a pole and people drop off their used books and anyone can pick them ..."


Yep that's sort of like The Book Thing, but that's a building where people drop off their books and you can just go and take whatever tickles your fancy! :D IT'S AWESOME.

Those sorts of things should be everywhere.

Just differentiate them in your post when claiming so the mods know.


message 18: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Maya wrote: "I just want to issue a quick thank you, because I have the exact same issue. <3"

<3 You're welcome! I try to come up with tasks that I want to do, so I'm glad it hits the mark with others too! :D


message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 412 comments So, I participate in different gift exchanges. Could two different ones where I got the books be OK?


message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Wayne wrote: "I have one stack of books from the Calgary Public Library and another stack from the University of Calgary Library. Would these count as 2 different sources? If not, I do have other sources - free ..."

haha. I know that feeling!! I think I have 25 or so right now. >.>

I would say Library = Library though just to keep things as simple as possible! So there's at least a spot for one of your books here!

I think mine will be library & netgalley. The free books that no one is expecting anything from me on can stay a pile a bit longer. ;)


message 21: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Valerie wrote: "So, I participate in different gift exchanges. Could two different ones where I got the books be OK?"

I'm going to have to say same as above with library. Gift exchanges would be the same *source* even if they are with different circles.

Hopefully that logic makes sense! But you can absolutely use one here!


message 22: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments When you say "new author" -- is it OK if I've never read the author before this challenge, but i might be reading several in a series by the same woman? and I would get to another one in the series before the one in this task?


message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Christine US wrote: "When you say "new author" -- is it OK if I've never read the author before this challenge, but i might be reading several in a series by the same woman? and I would get to another one in the series..."

Yes, as long as they are new to you as of the start of this season, it will work. That seems to be the standard mod ruling usually when that's a task requirement.

Good question! Definitely adding to message 2 & 3.


message 24: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments What about books I get free through the kids' book orders--
they pay--- I get free books? (I'm a teacher)


message 25: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Kathy G. wrote: "What about books I get free through the kids' book orders--
they pay--- I get free books? (I'm a teacher)"


This was a toughie, and I tried to think of it from a lot of angles.

I think what this relates to the most closely is purchasing a book via gift certificate. Even though you are not personally purchasing, the transaction is funded by the book orders of the students and then those purchases are tallied up in exchange for a certain # of books.

I ruled out "gift" since it wasn't something purchased/chosen for you by the students.

Sort of like with Audible how you rack up credits that you can then turn into books. They aren't directly money exactly, but money was exchanged.

Hopefully that makes logical sense. I sort of debated with myself.


message 26: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you!


message 27: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Just clarifying.
If I have an audible acct. they give you a free book each month.
Does that one count as free for not.

thanks

Or--- what if I join a book club--- they give you free books off the top
when you join.
Do those free books count.


message 28: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Just clarifying.
If I have an audible acct. they give you a free book each month.
Does that one count as free for not.

thanks

Or--- what if I join a book club--- they give you free books off the ..."


Audible is up there as a no, because the book each month is basically a credit you buy for the monthly membership. BUT if the book is available FREE on audible -- no money/no credit exchanged -- then it's allowed.

Is it a book club where you have to pay a membership fee or dues?


message 29: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments It's the Doubleday Book Club.
But--- I think you have to pay for the first book.
So it won't work.
Thanks anyway.

I can easily get free books on Amazon with my Kindle.
(Not the member ones--- but they are just free)-
So I'll do that.


message 30: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 496 comments There are a number of sites where one can download copyright free book. Project Gutenberg is one, and many countries have their own site for local authors. Would using two of these sites work or is that too similar?


message 31: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I forgot about Gutenberg. Excellent site.
:-)


message 32: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Paula wrote: "There are a number of sites where one can download copyright free book. Project Gutenberg is one, and many countries have their own site for local authors. Would using two of these sites work or is..."

You can do something similar on the Goodreads app or Kindle, etc, for those sorts of books, so I would say one from those sources that let you access the copyright free books. But I will add Project Gutenberg to the list. :)


message 33: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Kathy G. wrote: "It's the Doubleday Book Club.
But--- I think you have to pay for the first book.
So it won't work.
Thanks anyway.

I can easily get free books on Amazon with my Kindle.
(Not the member ones--- but ..."


Yep! I've found a few that way, especially the copyright free ones/classics.


message 34: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments There is also librivox for those that enjoy audiobooks!

I think I'm going to go with the library and librivox for this challenge.

Librivox has a free app for your phone too, so you can get the books directly on it. :)


message 35: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Daphne wrote: "There is also librivox for those that enjoy audiobooks!

I think I'm going to go with the library and librivox for this challenge.

Librivox has a free app for your phone too, so you can get the bo..."


I have an audiobook going almost constantly while I'm at work. I have to have the max checkouts on my Overdrive accounts (WV and MD cards) and of course audible.

Now I have a new way to max out the available space on my phone! haha. Thanks!


message 36: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Morgan wrote: "and of course audible. "

Audible just started their holiday sale. Just about everything is 50% off! I've got some of the cheaper ones that weren't worth using a credit for on my wish list that I plan to snatch up.

You should try librivox if you haven't already. It's all classics that are read by volunteers. Some narration is hit or miss, but there are many on there that are some of the best narrators I've ever heard.


message 37: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Daphne wrote: "Morgan wrote: "and of course audible. "

Audible just started their holiday sale. Just about everything is 50% off! I've got some of the cheaper ones that weren't worth using a credit for on my wis..."


Well now I have *two* things to check out. haha. :D


message 38: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments I found this book: In het huis van de menseneter. Teksten over Vrede randomly sitting on the hood of a car during an event. It is a http://www.bookcrossing.com/ book. You basiccly mark a book, let it loose in the wild and see where it travels.

Would this be option 2? A book gotten for free in a different way?


message 39: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Bellagbear wrote: "I found this book: In het huis van de menseneter. Teksten over Vrede randomly sitting on the hood of a car during an event. It is a http://www.bookcrossing.com/ book. You basiccly m..."

You could use that for either book. I'd equate it to The Book Thing and Little Free Library. :)

Option 2 is just one gotten in a different way from the way you get book one. So just as long as they don't share a source type. Like library (physical/digital), gift, swap or borrow, etc.

You could do book crossing for one and library for two.

The only other requirement is that you haven't read the authors before this season.

Does that help clarify?


message 40: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Morgan wrote: "Bellagbear wrote: "I found this book: In het huis van de menseneter. Teksten over Vrede randomly sitting on the hood of a car during an event. It is a http://www.bookcrossing.com/ b..."

ah yes, that clarifies a lot. Thanks :)


message 41: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 31 comments To add to Overdrive, check to see if your library has Hoopla Digital. They do audiobooks as well and usually a different selection. Streamable on phone/table/computer.


message 42: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Julia wrote: "To add to Overdrive, check to see if your library has Hoopla Digital. They do audiobooks as well and usually a different selection. Streamable on phone/table/computer."

Thanks for the share! I'll add it up top! :D


message 43: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Found a great option for this challenge. It is a FREE book from audible. Here is the link: http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/Th...

The books link here is: The Chimes. It's a classic novella from Charles Dickens for the holidays. :)


message 44: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Daphne wrote: "Found a great option for this challenge. It is a FREE book from audible. Here is the link: http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/Th...

The books link here is: [book..."


That would definitely work as long as Dickens is a new author as of this season of SRC! Goes well with the Group Read too. :D


message 45: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Morgan wrote: "That would definitely work as long as Dickens is a new author as of this season of SRC! Goes well with the Group Read too. :D "

Ya. Won't work for me, but there may be a few Dicken's novices that would like a short little dip into his literary pool. Can't beat the price either, and I really do enjoy that narrator. :)


message 46: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Daphne wrote: "Morgan wrote: "That would definitely work as long as Dickens is a new author as of this season of SRC! Goes well with the Group Read too. :D "

Ya. Won't work for me, but there may be a few Dicken'..."


Absolutely. I'm grabbing it just for the sake of it. haha.


message 47: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments Quick question. The Epic Adventures of Lydia Bennet has two authors, Kate Rorick and Rachel Kiley. I've never read anything by either of them. Can I use this? (It was a Christmas present, so it fits from that point of view).


message 48: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments LouLouReads wrote: "Quick question. The Epic Adventures of Lydia Bennet has two authors, Kate Rorick and Rachel Kiley. I've never read anything by either of them. Can..."

Yep. That works. Gift & new to you authors. :)
Enjoy! I'm hoping to get to that one.


message 49: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments If my book one is from NetGalley, can book 2 be one I got as a gift from a publisher? Not an invitation, as that's NetGalley also, but one they sent me directly?


message 50: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Pia wrote: "If my book one is from NetGalley, can book 2 be one I got as a gift from a publisher? Not an invitation, as that's NetGalley also, but one they sent me directly?"

Is it a giveaway (entered or not) on a site run by that publisher/unrelated to Netgalley interactions with them, or is it something they sent you as a result of your relationship with that publisher via Netgalley?

I guess I'm asking what prompted them to send you the book to determine if it's totally separate or not? Like what prompted them sending you the book?


« previous 1
back to top