Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - Playing with Fire Chap 12-13 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14294 comments The first person(s) to post please summarize this segment to guide the discussion.
Chapters 12-13 Lorenzo

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1368 comments The SS is expected to be rounding up the Jews of Venice soon. Laura's father wants to save Lorenzo and his siblings and gives him instructions for an arranged escape. When the SS move up their timetable, Lorenzo wants to warn his family. Lorenzo ends up on the train to a concentration camp with his family members.

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1368 comments Lorenzo, who said earlier in the novel that he wasn't brave, is foolishly brave by going back to his family. This means that he may not survive WWII. In that case, who is the L. Tedesco who composed Incendio? Could it actually be Laura using Lorenzo's surname to honor his memory?

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments I so much wanted him to make a run for it, but can understand that he couldn't leave his family. Even Marco, who I think knew exactly what was happening, couldn't leave them behind.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue | 26 comments I think this is part were Lorenzo story became interesting.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14294 comments I was surprised that Marco had not left yet, but leaving without your family and with nowhere to go would be very hard as Lorenzo shows us.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14294 comments Shomeret: the composer is quite a mystery. Is it both Lorenzo (original score) and Laura (the changes noted by Gerda) I wonder.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Can certainly understand Lorenzo's actions here. A number of days seem to pass in such few chapters.

message 9: by Ann (last edited Dec 31, 2015 05:03PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14294 comments Anne: I agree - from what we know about Lorenzo it is completely in character for him to return to his family and look out for Pia. Those same family loyalties kept the family from making an attempt to leave their home of generations for over four hundred years.
I thought Tess Gerritsen was very effective in telling this part of the tragic story, personalizing it with the impact on Lorenzo's family and their friends and revealing the overall horror.
Anne wrote: "Can certainly understand Lorenzo's actions here. A number of days seem to pass in such few chapters."

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ann wrote: "Anne: I agree - from what we know about Lorenzo it is completely in character for him to return to his family and look out for Pia. Those same family loyalties kept the family from making an attemp..."

I can see that too, Ann - the real impact of the horror. Just wondering how the rest of the Lorenzo chapters will develop. I'm sure things are going to get worse