The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
This topic is about The Last Kingdom
Saxon Stories > TLK: Part 3 (Chapters 10 & 11)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 3

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part 3 (Chapters 10 & 11).

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I pretty much zoomed through Section 3 to the ending.

This was a fun book - I feel like a learned a tiny bit about some history and I want to learn more.

I loved the last battle scene - I thought the others were good, but this was a great finish. I also like that the marriage turned out to be fine - that he was excited about his new baby and actually got along with his wife - that doesn't happen much in the books I've read.

Ragnar and Ragnar were definitely my favorite side characters, and I'd love to see Ragnar Jr. more (if he isn't dead).

Anyway, fun book - I'm glad I read it!

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments I LOVE how Cornwell does battles in any of his books!

Mark | 481 comments He is one the best authors at writing decent battle and smaller fights scenes.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can't help but to keep comparing it to the show. It ended a lot earlier than I expected. I wonder if they used parts of the second book in the first season or something.

I liked it more overall. I didn't read it as quick, maybe because I knew what was going to happen for the most part. I'm also a bit burnt out on reading I think.

I think I liked the first section the best because it was mostly new, but overall the book was enjoyable. I plan to do the next one soon. Maybe January or February depending on other reads. I'll have a bunch of time to read mid-January.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Just finished this book and totally loved it. The version i listen to was by Tom Sellwood - who brought Uhtred to life. I am going straight into the next book (also Narrated by Tom Sellwood). I think this has to be one of Cornwells best books.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Have you seen the show Richard?

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Nope, not seen it yet, it is on my to watch list.

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll be curious what you think. I enjoyed it, but I watched it before the book.

message 10: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments I shall watch it later if I can find it anywhere.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I still haven't seen it either. For some reason, I've gotten really bad at watching any tv except grading shows, which can't be very good or I get nothing done.

message 12: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments I just watched the first episode.

It's not bad, but in my head Bebbanburg is bigger, Eoferwic wasn't a muddy ditch and Thyra looks less plain.

I'll stick to the books.

Sumant | 522 comments Loved this book, the battle scenes are plus and the viking characters are simply awesome.

Gonna watch the show.

message 14: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Yes, the battle scenes are top notch.

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sumant wrote: "Loved this book, the battle scenes are plus and the viking characters are simply awesome.

Gonna watch the show."

I'll be curious to hear what you think. Everyone I know who read the books first didn't like the show. I liked the show, and picked up the books as a result.

message 16: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments As I recall the first season was a mashup of the first two books. Sumant you might want to read book two before watching the show.

message 17: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt wrote: "As I recall the first season was a mashup of the first two books. Sumant you might want to read book two before watching the show."

Oh yeah. It definitely includes all (or most) of book 2 as well. Good call.

Sumant | 522 comments Ctgt wrote: "As I recall the first season was a mashup of the first two books. Sumant you might want to read book two before watching the show."

Already 14% done :D