Read Runners discussion

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
This topic is about The Last Wish
The Pillars of Fantasy > The Last Wish (The Witcher #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jarvis (last edited Dec 04, 2015 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jarvis BLURB :

Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin.

And a cold-blooded killer.

His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world.

But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good. . . and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

Jarvis Everyone's welcomed to join me, Manju and Utkarsh :)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Will start today.:)

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) hello! will start in the evening

Jarvis I will also start in the evening :)

Anirudh You could have just discussed this in PoF :) Small book and I don't think we have discussed this before

Jarvis I thought that thread was being for The Gunslinger :)

Sorry :P

Anirudh No problem it's your read :)

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Gunslinger is being discussed in the 2nd week thereafter. if both are discussed simultaneously, people like me will be confused beyond redemption.

message 10: by Em Lost In Books (last edited Dec 05, 2015 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Finished first story last night. And it was very good. I like the fight scenes and how Geralt overcame the Striga though Striga wasn'ta very powerful one.

Also loved the funny parts of Velerad where he tried to discourage Geralt from doing all that.

Second interlude was very interesting with authhor giving us details about Geralt but not so much, keep us guessing.

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) Finished first story too. Geralt is full of mystery.
the fight scene was good. I was imagining the climatic scene from the game, the witcher, as I read. :D
started second story.

Anirudh @Manju, striga is not a vampire :) I thought you were asking about a bruxa.
This is a striga
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/w...

I don't remember much of the stories here but they were entertaining. Especially because all the monsters are new and not copies of LOTR etc

Anirudh Utkarsh wrote: "Finished first story too. Geralt is full of mystery.
the fight scene was good. I was imagining the climatic scene from the game, the witcher, as I read. :D
started second story."

This story is the staring cinematic of witcher :)

message 14: by Jarvis (last edited Dec 05, 2015 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jarvis I also finished the first story. Liked the concept of Striga. I agree Gerald is very mystery but that is what I am liking about this book.

On the second story now :)

Anirudh Gehna wrote: "I also finished the first story. Liked the concept of Striga. I agree Gerald is very mystery but that is what I am liking about this book.

On the second story now :)"

They will not tell you all the details at the very beginning! :)

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) Second story is more interesting. And scary

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) @anirudh now I feel like I should play witcher. Have you?

Anirudh Utkarsh wrote: "Second story is more interesting. And scary"

Which story are you in? The one where he brings the kikimora?

I think first 3 stories are linked to the striga

Anirudh Utkarsh wrote: "@anirudh now I feel like I should play witcher. Have you?"

First witcher I've played twice. :) Great game

message 20: by Utkarsh (last edited Dec 05, 2015 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) One where he meets a lone monster living in a mansion,in a forest.

Anirudh Utkarsh wrote: "One where he meets a lone monster living in a mansion,in a forest."

aaaghh.. this one is scary :) Especially the questions answer round :D Enjoy :D

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) Anirudh wrote: "Utkarsh wrote: "One where he meets a lone monster living in a mansion,in a forest."

aaaghh.. this one is scary :) Especially the questions answer round :D Enjoy :D"

Finished it. It was great and scary too. The conversation between the Geralt and the guy was good. Funny yet It slowly build up the tension.

Anirudh Utkarsh wrote: "Anirudh wrote: "Utkarsh wrote: "One where he meets a lone monster living in a mansion,in a forest."

aaaghh.. this one is scary :) Especially the questions answer round :D Enjoy :D"

Finished it. I..."

Yeah. It was creepy how he asks her what species she is and each time the way she shakes her head.

@Everyone What do you think about his powers? How do you think he gets them? (Except Utkarsh, since you've played the game you know already :P)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) finished second story. and it was better than the first, it was also very emotional...

Anirudh Yes witcher story is not a hack and slash one.

What do you think about his powers manju?

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) there is nothing about his power yet. only he drinks some potion from the vials and he gets super vision, hearing, strength and powers. :P

I think every story is going to introduce a new kind of monster. first a Striga and now a bruxa.

Also the characters in Interludes are very interesting specially Nenneke and Iola.

Anirudh @Manju, that is what i meant by powers. What do you think about it? Does it differ from general fantasy powers that you read in other books?

It's a collection of short stories so yeah :)

I don't remember the characters in it

Jarvis I think he gets his power from those vials which he drinks.

I am liking the second story more than the first one. :D
Almost done with second.

Anirudh Gehna wrote: "I think he gets his power from those vials which he drinks.

I am liking the second story more than the first one. :D
Almost done with second."

He does. Witchers brew secret potions which allows them various abilities temporarily. What I like about it though, is that it is a double edged sword

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Anirudh wrote: "@Manju, that is what i meant by powers. What do you think about it? Does it differ from general fantasy powers that you read in other books?

It's a collection of short stories so yeah :)

I don't..."

Consuming potions to gain powers, this concept remind me of Mistborn.:P

Reading third story now.:)

Anirudh Manju wrote: "Anirudh wrote: "@Manju, that is what i meant by powers. What do you think about it? Does it differ from general fantasy powers that you read in other books?

It's a collection of short stories so ..."

Very different. This has a much darker tone to it. The powers which he gets is also quite grounded. Nothing overpowering.

Jarvis Manu, I was also thinking about Mistborn :D

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Anirudh, defending Witcher?:P

I said concept of drinking potion is similar to that of Mistborn and the similarity ends there as there was no such dangerous creature in mistborn.:)

Of course this world is darker than that and kuchh more mysterious.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Will I like it?

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Gehna wrote: "Manu, I was also thinking about Mistborn :D"

Hi five Junior!

What you think of Nenneka?? Am liking her very much.:)

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) I like how Geralt uses his brain and doesn't believe what people tell him. Dialogues are pretty good.

Jarvis Hi5 Senior!

Nennka is very nice!! :D
Some portions are really good like the part in second story where Geralt meets the beast for the first time! Liked that part :)

Jarvis Shalini wrote: "Will I like it?"

May be :D
I am liking it *shrugs* :-)

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) Shalini wrote: "Will I like it?"

You will, Try it.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments :-P. wish someone said no. My TBR > My R

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Shalini wrote: "Will I like it?"

Yes.:)

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Okay, TBRd

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Am in third story now. How far have you two reached in the book?

Jarvis I finished the second story. Will started the third one tomorrow :-)

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) I am reading fifth story.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Utkarsh wrote: "I am reading fifth story."

You are reading this very fast.:)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Gehna wrote: "I finished the second story. Will started the third one tomorrow :-)"

True love!

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) Manju wrote: "Utkarsh wrote: "I am reading fifth story."

You are reading this very fast.:)"

Yeah, I am liking it. :D but now I will read book thief instead. And wait for you guys to catch up.

Anirudh @Manju, not defending, explaining :P

@Utkarsh, you've played the game but reading it for the first time? :)

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) I haven't played the game.

« previous 1 3