Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Archives > Should I Write?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2583 comments I thought this might be a way to see if you really have the knack for writing. I mean, come on, as much as we all read, at one point in time, I know you've thought about writing. Who hasn't? While not all glamorous, a very fulfilling pastime nonetheless! So step out of the boat and put a paragraph, a chapter or even a couple chapters here and see what others think about your grandeur!

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9751 comments Mod
Sounds like a fun topic. Can't wait to see what people share ;)

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

That's really good, Bess! Reminds me a little of MaryLu Tyndall with the pirate/ship aspect. I like it! :D

message 4: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2583 comments Thanks Melanie...I believe I was on a pirate kick at the time. That is really all I've written on this particular story. But before I devoted so much time and energy, I wanted to see if others would be interested enough to for me to continue. :)
How about you? Have you started a book?

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

A long time ago I tried writing, but I just didn't have much desire for it and gave up. Lol! Writing is not for me right now.

message 6: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I am a self published writer having published two works in the recent past, so I hope it's all right for me to post here, if not just let me know and I will delete this post! Anyway I just thought I would share part of the first chapter of my current work in progress, a suspense novella titled Deadly Obsession (The first chapter is kinda long for a comment so I am only posting the first half) I would love to hear what people think!

My eyes shot daggers‒–or maybe more like 9mm bullets—at my computer screen. I nearly gagged at the thought of how many girls had bought the rubbish that the online predator was spewing, and paid with their lives. As I typed one final line into the chat window confirming our “Date” for tomorrow night, an evil smile came over my face. Boy are you in for a surprise when you discover that I am not your typical teenage victim. I have the entire government, SWAT teams and all behind me, ready and willing to move in at the first sign of trouble. You have no idea who you have messed with this time. I leaned backward in my chair and propped my feet up on the desk. Reaching forward, I withdrew an object from my desk drawer. I fingered the flashy gold badge in my hands and tried to think of an excuse for missing Miranda's sleepover tomorrow night, an excuse that would show my genuine disappointment without giving away too many details. I sighed and glanced at my badge again. Sometimes it's hard to be a sixteen year old girl and an FBI Agent. I mean, I know the work I do is important, but sometimes I just wish I could let my friends in on the gig. I sighed again and my eyes found the clock on the wall. Time to leave for school. Time for Kennedy Stevens to morph from agent to high school student. In a rare moment of impulsiveness I decided that I was done with pretenses. I was going to tell Miranda what I am really doing tomorrow night, she is my best friend after all. If the bureau doesn't like it, then tough. Just before I headed out the door I slipped my badge back in the desk drawer next to the FBI standard-issue Glock handgun.
So I meant to tell Miranda everything, really I did. But as we walked the hallway toward the cafeteria and lunch, the one part of our school day that we share, my phone rang suddenly. I checked caller id. Serena. I sighed and answered “Hello” Serena didn't waste time on a greeting “We need to discuss the final plans for tomorrow night. Please meet me for lunch at the usual spot.” My boss finally took a breath. “I'm doing well, thanks for asking.” I said somewhat sarcastically. “Kennedy focus, I'll see you in fifteen minutes, okay?” Serena snapped. I had no choice but to answer in the affirmative. Hanging up, I turned to Miranda. “Serena wants to have lunch.” I stated simply, apologetically. Miranda's hazel eyes lit up, “Serena your cousin, Serena the state department employee, that Serena?” She asked enthusiastically. I nodded. Serena doesn't work for the state department and she's not my cousin but those details as well as the rest of the truth would have to wait. “I'm sorry,” I said. “Don't worry about it. Go, go.” Miranda urged. I moved toward the door, halfway down the hall I turned back to Miranda. Thanks, I mouthed. Miranda grinned and I couldn't help thinking that I have the most understanding best friend in the entire world.
That night I was pacing restlessly around my room after trying unsuccessfully to finish knitting a pair of socks that would be my part of my contribution to the donation my family makes every year to the local homeless shelter. I always get this way the night before a mission. I was beginning to think that every butterfly in the vicinity had taken up residence in my tummy. It was nearly two AM and I was going through a familiar yet vicious cycle of being too exhausted to move yet too wound up to make myself sit for more than a second or two. All of a sudden I noticed that I had the nail of my left index finger pinched between my teeth, I yanked my hand away from my mouth. I had chewed my finger nail to a jagged edge without even realizing it. Grrr, I hate that bad habit, so much for my New Year's Resolution to stop biting my nails. Now I've gotta start all over again. But, oh well, I should have known I would end up breaking that resolution, I always fall back into that habit when I'm stressed or nervous. My pacing carried me past my towering bookshelves, maybe reading would help. After much debate I selected one of my favorite Irene Hannon novels and settled into my comfy chair. It would take every ounce of the book's adrenaline pumping suspense to distract me tonight. Half an hour later I set it aside. I could not recall a single word on the thirty pages I'd read, a rarity (Especially when it came to this book) but it just couldn't grab my attention tonight. But, there is one other book that might. My fingers touched the leather bound book on my nightstand, grazed the gold embossed lettering on the cover. I almost grabbed it, thinking maybe something in Psalms or Proverbs would calm me and help me get to sleep. My hand hovered over the Bible, debating. Finally deciding against it when I remembered that it had been so long since I'd read it that I would have been shocked if I wasn't struck by lightning if I dared to crack it open. I had not been on speaking terms with God for quite some time. I guess I felt that a person like me, a person with so much anger buried down inside had no business being a girl of God. Growing up I'd always had a strong relationship with God and would have told anyone else to let go of the anger, and the Lord would forgive you and make you whole again, but He would never do that for me, because the truth was I liked my anger and obsession for vengeance, it drove me, gave me a purpose, a reason to get up in the morning and as long as I embraced these feelings there was no way Jesus would want me back, no doubt He gave up on me long ago. The reason for my anger was too painful. I couldn't let myself think about it right now or I would fall into the familiar pit of depression from which I wouldn't be able to claw my way out for days. I left the Bible on my nightstand and resigned myself to the reality that I wouldn't get any rest this night.

message 7: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Caitlyn, that was really good! Interesting how she is 16 and an FBI agent. :) Great intro to your book!

message 8: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Thanks so much, Melanie! I'm glad you liked it! Yeah that's actually where the idea came from, because I thought it would be neat to write about an FBI agent that is a teen and therefore specializes in helping catch criminals that target teens! That's one of the things I love about fiction, that things are possible in story that would probably never happen in real life! :)

message 9: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2583 comments Caitlyn, great idea and intro! You have a talent for writing modern fiction, that's for sure! I think that you posted here is perfect! Thanks for sharing!!