75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2016 GR Completed) > Charleen's 2016 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Alright. No more separating out re-reads or audiobooks or comics or anything else. Everything counts. (Except the kids books.) And maybe it'll all add up to 75 in the end.

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7859 comments Mod
I'm sure you'll do great, Charleen! :)

message 3: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Reading is reading. It all counts! Read all the things! LOL (also, no need sell reading to your kids short by saying it isn't reading. It may not be reading for your personal pleasure or education, but you are actually teaching reading and thinking behaviors while you do that. To use an analogy, if you are tutoring someone else in math, even though the problems may not be on the toughest level you yourself are capable of, you are still doing math!) :)

message 4: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4117 comments Mod
Wow Stacie, that is very true!

It took me a couple of years for Kay and others to convince me that counting audio books was okay. It felt like cheating for me but considering how much time it takes to listen to an audiobook I finally changed me mind.

I say count whatever you want to count as long as it is considered a book of some sort. When we did the children's/YA book challenge I counted anything that had words and it felt okay :)

message 5: by JanB (new)

JanB  | 980 comments I have no problem with counting audiobooks. They are a choice we make to read a book by listening vs doing something else. And it actually takes longer to listen to a book than it does to read it on paper. Reading is reading!

message 6: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Exactly. Reading is reading.

message 7: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments I agree that it's all reading. But when I had a lot more time, I liked to focus on reading new books, so I didn't count the re-reads, and later audiobooks... not because they didn't "count," but because that wasn't my goal.

Now my goals are different, but it's the same thing with the kid lit. I'm keeping track of what we read together (on my 'little-man-reads' shelf), but I still want to read 75 for my own enjoyment.

But just because I don't count them doesn't mean I don't think they count (if that makes any sense). It's just what works for me.

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me and 75 books for your own enjoyment is a great goal (it's a good idea, IMHO, to make sure that we are all carving out "me" time so that we don't get overwhelmed by everyone else's claims on us). I like this group because it's all about unabashedly wallowing in our love of reading... and if it doesn't add up to 75 (or whatever number we picked at the beginning)? Well, there's always next round ;)

message 9: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments One week down, 51 to go!

As mentioned above, I'm including re-reads, audiobooks, comics, and whatever else I might not have counted in the past toward my goal of 75.

However, I don't want to stop reading new novels either. So I have my GR goal set at 36, and I'll keep leaving my "other reading" off my shelf so they don't count for that challenge.

But here, I'll list everything.

1. Still Alice (audio, re-read)
2. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 1: Squirrel Power
3. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 2: Squirrel You Know It's True

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

How was The Bazaar of Bad Dreams? I have to get back into reading King!

message 12: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Good overall, some I liked more than others. I'm not usually big on short stories, so predictably I liked the ones that leaned more toward novella. "Mile 81," "Ur," and "Obits" were my favorites.

message 14: by Charleen (new)

message 15: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments 20. Chimera

(Also, I realized 18 and 19 should have been swapped. Whoops.)

So, umm... yeah. 20 books in January. Wasn't expecting that. Of course, 14 of them were comics, which go a little faster. Plus 2 audiobooks. 3 novels. And a short story collection. Overall an excellent month of reading.

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Definitely an excellent month of reading!

message 17: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Charleen - I love your new picture!

message 18: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments A little late, but here's my February update:

21. A-Force Vol. 0: Warzones
22. The New 52: Futures End, Vol. 1
23. The New 52: Futures End, Vol. 2
24. The New 52: Futures End, Vol. 3
25. The Martian (audio, re-read)
26. Inhumans: Attilan Rising
27. Avengers vs. X-Men: It's Coming
28. Avengers vs. X-Men
29. Avengers vs. X-Men: Consequences
30. The Bone Labyrinth
31. Career of Evil (audio, re-read)

1 novel
2 audiobooks
8 comic collections

I'm falling a bit behind in my "3 new-books-that-aren't-comics/month" goal, but I've got lots of time to catch up.

message 19: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Ha, thanks Andrea. That was after standing in my friend's wedding this past summer... all the bobby-pins out and the hairspray still trying to do its job.

message 20: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Ohhhh it's even cuter not that I know the back story. It's funny, in the picture I have now I'm making a funny face! I keep saying I'm going to change it but I forget.

message 21: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Wow, I have fallen WAY behind in updating. I spent most of March reading comics but am finally starting to find my groove reading novels again. Only one in this list, but I started another today, and I can feel the momentum swing.

32. Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars
33. Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders #1 & Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders #2 (of 2) (no collected volume because it was only two issues, but I'm counting it as a complete story)
34. Howard the Human (2015) #1 (same, even though this was only a single issue)
35. Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde
36. Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: In Pursuit of Flight
37. Captain Marvel, Vol. 2: Down
38. Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation (audio)
39. Everything I Never Told You

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Oh nice, Lunar Chronicles are coming up on my TBR! Did you like the series?

message 24: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments I thought they were great Elyse. It took me a little while to get on board with Cinder, because at first it was very much, "Let's find all the parallels to the Cinderella story everybody knows." And, even though that's sort of the point of retellings, they still jumped out at me in a SUPER OBVIOUS way that pulled me out of the story rather than adding anything to it.

But once we started exploring the original parts of the world, all of that went away and I was completely invested. And then with each next book, it pulled me more and more in.

message 25: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Last week was Bout of Books so I got a nice jump in my May reading. The second half of the month will not be nearly so productive.

47. Fairest
48. Stars Above
49. Ghost Racers
50. Fangirl (audio, re-read)
51. Zone One
52. Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 1
53. Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 2
54. Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 3
55. Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 4
56. Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man (audio)
57. Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy

message 26: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Charleen, you might need to think about increasing your goal at this point :)

message 27: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments The rest of my May reading...

58. Station Eleven
59. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (audio, re-read)
60. The Fireman

Nope, not nearly so productive.

message 28: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Andrea, I didn't really make an overall goal this year, but yeah, reaching 75 will be no problem at all! I just had no frame of reference once I started adding in more comics and audiobooks to my reading life.

Though now that we're almost halfway through and I have some idea of my new habits... 125 might be a good number to aim for.

I'm also aiming for 3/month by my old way of counting, leaving out comics, audios, and re-reads. On that, I'm a couple books behind. I still think 36 should be totally doable though.

message 29: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

My original goal was 100 but I think I might be joining you in the 125 club house :)

message 32: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments August (so-far):

73. Justice League, Vol. 6: Injustice League
(you'll notice I skipped 2-5, I kinda just skimmed those volumes)

74. Firefight
75. Calamity
76. Middlesex

Another Bout of Books is coming up, so hopefully I'll have a lot more to add to the August list.

message 34: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Charleen, I was just thinking I dont think I ever read the Girl that Kicked the Hornets Nest.

message 35: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Wow, Andrea, and TGW Played with Fire ended on such a cliffhanger! I hope you make time for it soon, it really is a very satisfying way to wrap up the trilogy. (I haven't read the 4th book that came out recently, I just know it wouldn't be the same.)

message 36: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "Wow, Andrea, and TGW Played with Fire ended on such a cliffhanger! I hope you make time for it soon, it really is a very satisfying way to wrap up the trilogy. (I haven't read the 4th book that cam..."

The new one does have a different feel but it was still good! :)

message 37: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I have also hear that it was good Elyse. I will read it after I finish the 3rd book.

message 38: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments September:

90. Kristy's Great Idea
91. The Sea of Monsters (audio, re-read)
92. Ex Machina, Vol. 3: Fact v. Fiction
93. Nimona
94. The Titan's Curse (audio, re-read)
95. The Pulse, Vol. 1: Thin Air
96. The Battle of the Labyrinth (audio, re-read)
97. Bag of Bones
98. Howard the Duck, Vol. 1: Duck Hunt
99. The Last Olympian (audio, re-read)
100. The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War
101. The Pulse, Vol. 3: Fear
102. The Shadow of the Wind
103. The Manhattan Projects, Vol 1: Science. Bad.

Just three months to go! I need to read 22 more books to get to my goal of 125, just over 7/month. This is totally doable.

However, for my goal of 3/month for a total of 36 new, non-audio, non-comic reads... I'm a bit behind. As glad as I am to be using these new additions to my reading life now that I've gotten busier, I do miss just sitting down with a prose novel and reading the way I used to.

The Shadow of the Wind was #24, meaning I need to read an average of 4/month to get to 36 by the end of the year. We'll see if I can re-prioritize a bit and make it happen.

message 39: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments Sooo, I may have forgotten to update here for a while. Whoops! Well, let's see how I did these last three months...

104. The Lost Hero
105. The Son of Neptune
106. Feedback
107. The Mark of Athena
108. The House of Hades
109. The Blood of Olympus
110. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe
111. Angela: Asgard's Assassin, Volume 1: Priceless (re-read)
112. Angela: Queen of Hel: Journey to the Funderworld
113. Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: Rise of Alpha Flight
114. Heart of Darkness
115. Redemption Road
116. X-Men '92 Vol. 0: Warzones!
117. Thors: Battleworld
118. Cell
119. Paper Girls, Vol. 1
120. One Kick
121. Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 1
122. Ashfall
123. Marvel 1602
124. Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow
125. The Mothers
126. Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain (re-read)
127. The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man (re-read)

I met both of my goals!!! More than 125 total, and 36 new books (non-audio, non-comics, non-re-reads).

Also, if my little-man-reads shelf can be trusted, we've read roughly 175 new picture books this year! (Plus, of course, lots of re-reading old favorites.)

I don't imagine I'll do much more these last couple weeks, what with the craziness of the holidays, but we'll see.

message 40: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "Sooo, I may have forgotten to update here for a while. Whoops! Well, let's see how I did these last three months...

104. The Lost Hero
105. The Son of Neptune
106. [b..."

Great job, Charleen! Congrats on hitting your goals!

message 41: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Congrats on hitting your goals! Also, I'm totally raiding your "little-man-reads" shelf for things to send my great-nephew and my soon-to-be great-whatever ;)

message 42: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Wow Charleen, I would say that is pretty awesome!

message 43: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1574 comments 128. The Woman in White

This was my only book read in the last half of December. I've also been chugging away at a re-read of The Passage but didn't get it finished, so you will see that popping up on my 2017 list soon. I've also got a stack of comics from the library that I thought would be good for during the holiday craziness... and then I never picked them up.

So, lots coming up soon. And tomorrow is the start of the Bout of Books readathon, so hopefully I can start 2017 with a bang.

message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "128. The Woman in White

This was my only book read in the last half of December. I've also been chugging away at a re-read of The Passage but didn't get it finished, so ..."

This is still on my list! And The Passage series is also on my list. Good luck in the Bout of Books Readathon!

message 45: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "128. The Woman in White

This was my only book read in the last half of December. I've also been chugging away at a re-read of The Passage but didn't get it finished, so ..."

I really like the Woman in White!