2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Read-a-thons > Third Read-A-Thon - Reader Problems

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Well, day 4 is coming to an end (on the east coast at least) which means it's that time again. For this activity we are going to discuss all those pesky little problems that we all have as readers...so many books to choose from, judging books by their covers, and what if you're just not into the book that you're reading? Let's hear how you handle your "reading problems"

Reader Problems

1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?
3. The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?
4. A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?!?!?
5. There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?
6. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) 1. I just pick the first one in the list or find challenges that help me pick a book on my TBR.
2. I finish a book no matter what, even if that means it takes me months to finish it.
3. I really don't pay much attention to the covers.
4. It depends, sometimes I reread the first book, other times I just read the description of the first book. Either way, I usually read the sequel.
5. It depends on how much money I have to spend!
6. Anywhere from 30 seconds to months.

message 3: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) 1. Whatever I can get from the library and peaks my interest the most.
2. Quit or skim then give it a low rating if it never picks up and becomes interesting again.
3. If they are cool to read, I read them and not care about the covers.
4. Skim a synopsis on Goodreads or Shmoop website. Maybe skip because the 1st book couldn't have been that good if I can't remember it.
5. Library to borrow, second hand, wait for paperback then book shopping binge.
6. Start reading on the bus on the way home or sometimes they have a crowning place on my bookshelf as a reward after other books are finished.

message 4: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (last edited Dec 04, 2015 02:05AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next? Well, since the reading challenge, there's been kind of a science to it. I first look for books that are either on my reading plan or fit a challenge criteria if I want to swap something out. Then I see which books are buzzing with my GoodReads friends and people whose reviews I'm following/respect. Out of that lot, I choose whatever I'm in the mood for. Sometimes pretty covers help. ;)

2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed? Most of the time I will read a book all the way through even if I think it is awful. This year, with the challenge, I've abandoned more books than I normally do because I just do not have the time for books that don't interest me. I'm on a schedule and there are far too many potentially good books I want to get my hands on.

This is the absolute worst. I cannot have mismatched covers. I just can't. If I have already bought part of a series and then they change the covers, ugh, I have to go out and repurchase books I already own to make them all match. Because I'm insane and this is the kind of thing that will keep me up all night. I also hate it when they change the cover and I don't like the new cover. Because now I either have an incomplete series or I have to go back and not only buy books I already have but buy books I already have with new, hideous covers. The struggle is real.

4. A sequel of a book you loved just came out but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?! If I really cannot remember it enough to pick up the story from the next book I will re-read the first book or books. I have no problem with re-reads.

5. There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy? I've been burned by those cover changes before. I've wisened up! Now I mostly read books from my local library or buy e-books. I won't buy the physical books unless it is a book or book series (completed) that I really enjoyed and want to own.

6. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them? I also have had this problem in the past. Buying books because they're pretty. Buying books because they're cheap. Buying, buying, buying and then they sit on my shelves forever. Since I now only buy books (physically) if I enjoyed them or, at the very least, enjoy the author's previous works they get read a lot sooner. I still have this problem with e-books though! They tend to sit around on my tablet for ages.

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Emmy Lou Who, your use of the Tobias gif is absolute perfection!

message 6: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new)

Thanks! Arrested Development is one of my all time favorite shows. :D

message 7: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments 1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
I think about what I'm in the mood for, then I look at the books that fit that criteria and pick out of those. Sometimes it's an impulse choice but sometimes I put a lot more thought into it. Also, if I've recently been hearing lots of good things about a book that I've been waiting to read, that sometimes bumps it up the list.

2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?
I'm committed by that point. I have to stick with books even if I'm not fully enjoying them. I find that sometimes books can surprise me and I end up really enjoying the second half despite not liking the first half. This doesn't always work but I prefer to give books a chance to change my mind. Sometimes this backfires though and then I wish that I was a strong enough person to give up on them.

I'm also one of the crazies who will give away or get rid of the books I already own of the series and then buy the ones that match the new covers. However what hurts me even more than when they change the covers half way through, is when they realise other versions which I think have nicer or better covers. Then I feel like I'm in the same predicament because I'm obviously quite shallow when it comes to books and want the prettiest or the nicest covers of books that I can get. This doesn't apply to kindle books though, I couldn't care less what cover they have as it's not actually seen by anyone but myself.

4. A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?!?!?
I would preferably re-read but it would depend on how fast a read it was, if it was really long and a fairly slow read, then I would probably try to find a quick synopsis of it somewhere just to refresh my memory. I find that a lot of the time I do know/remember what happened in the previous book/books I just need a little jolt to remind myself.

5. There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?
It depends. I try to pace myself and only let myself buy a couple of books at a time as my shelves are already full and with a lot of books that are also waiting to be read. There are always some books that I am more excited for than others, even if I really want to read all of them, so I tend to buy them in order of priority.

6. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?
That varies a lot. Some books I'll read within a week, some I'll read within a few months, some have been sat on my bookshelves for a few years.

message 8: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Emmy Lou Who wrote: "Thanks! Arrested Development is one of my all time favorite shows. :D"

Mine too! I love it!

message 9: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
I'll read the last one I borrow/buy.

I'll start another book and try to finish the boring one chapter by chapter.

It drives me crazy. It's one of the reasons I don't like to buy paper copies before a series is finished.

4. A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel.
Re-read the book.

Just the ones which are cheap (second hand or ebook). For the expensive ones, the sample needs to be very good or it's a sequel.

If it's a sequel or a favorite author, I usually read it in the week. If it's not, it can wait for months.

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Dec 04, 2015 03:20AM) (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 122 comments 1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
I try to read what's already on my shelf that I'm in the mood for. With the reading challenge, I just read one of the books on my list.

I wish I could quit, but I have to just keep going. I'll usually start another book that I like, while trying to finish the book I don't love at snail pace.

Not an issue for me.

This usually happens to me because books in a series tend to take so long to come out. I just read a plot summary for the previous book before reading the sequel.

A lot more than I should. I always end up spending more than I should at a bookstore. I should use the library more, but I feel dirty touching used books, especially since I like to read in bed.

It depends. Some I start right after my current read and some sit there for quite a long time.

message 11: by Jody (last edited Dec 04, 2015 11:25AM) (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments 1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next? Like a lot of people, I choose depending on my mood. When I'm in challenge mode, I try to find something that's on my list, or find something that I can swap into my list. When I'm not in challenge mode, I have a spreadsheet of lists that I'm working through, and I try to find something on there that I feel like reading. And then, sometimes, I just start a random book (or two, or three) and see if something takes my fancy.
2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed? It depends on the book. There are some books that I am going to read, no matter what (generally classics on the canon). Other books I abandon completely. And then others I put down for a while, and just read a little every now & then ... one of these, I started in December 2013. Oops. I will finish it, truly.
3. The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope? I don't.
4. A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?!?!? I'll just read the sequel and hope for the best. Unless it's Harry Potter - in that case, I read the previous books each time before the new book came out (for the 5th, 6th and 7th as the first four were already released when I started reading them). Not because I forgot anything in them, just because HARRY POTTER.
5. There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy? Actually I'm not really that into new books. I couldn't even name a book that's coming out!
6. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them? Usually months. I am a compulsive book buyer but then end up reading whatever is on my Kindle.

PS - Arrested Development is AWESOME. Except for Season 4.

message 12: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new)

Yes! Another AD fan! I'm with you on that, Jody! Season 4, you broke my heart. *sigh*

message 13: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) 1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
I regularly prune my to read list and remove books I don't see myself reading in the next couple years or so. Nowadays a lot of my picks are challenge-driven, or books I see on book lists, occasionally something lying around the house or recommended by friends.

Usually if I am halfway there I will finish, because I stop reading much earlier if I can't stand a book. If I am halfway through, something is valuable in there. I read several books where I almost gave up halfway but the second half was better. Sometimes it is hard to get the point until the end.

Does not bother me.

I might skim the cliffhangers. (Looking at you, George R R Martin!!)

I rarely read new books, but if I really want one, I get it. I try to get my non-new books from the library or as an e-book.

I have a lot of unread books so nowadays I use the library instead.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Mey 1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
I change between serious books like classic or documentaries and then books i have piled near my bed and then books lent by friends and i always have an ebook that comes in all that. It depends on my mood and the challenge this year helped me get to read more of my TBR than new ebooks.

I used to be committed until the end and would force myself to read chapters every once in a while. I'm starting to change that though. I don't have time to read books that don't appeal to me when there are so many books that i could love out there.

Oh it always happens, i feel wronged by the editor but buy them mismatched anyway. I have like three editions of books for the Dark Tower.

Usually when i start reading everything comes back little by little, like i am connecting the dots. I used to think i'd need to read the books again but no.

I used to buy so many books and didn't read as fast as that so i stopped buying books altogether. I take ebooks when i really want to read something fast otherwise i have tons of books in my TBR shelf and a card for the public library. So many more books available !

If i really wanted the books and bought them they don't stay long on my shelves. But sometimes i change author or style and suddenly i've kept books that i really wanted to read for months. Still working on this.

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) 1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
Nowadays I scan my challenge list and choose the one that fits my mood the most. Before 2015, I had in my head a few books I wanted to read, but my TBR was waaayy smaller than it is now, so it was easier to choose."

I think I suffer of a bit of FOMO (fear of missing out), because I always think that maybe the ending will save the book, and I would hate missing a book saved by its ending ;) So I grind my teeth and go to the end, I think there are only two books I never finished in my life.

I never cared about different covers, I've got like 4 different editions of Harry Potter books. It is weird since I'm a bit OCD for certain things, but I'm ok with this.

It depends on the book, if I absolutely loved it I would be glad to re-read it, otherwise I try to remember what happened or read summaries. Some reviews here on Goodreads are long enough to give you a good idea of the book (it is actually the only time I read long reviews).

I don't buy a lot of paper books, and when I add a book in my TBR, I try to remember putting it on my Amazon wish list. I then track ebooks price with eReaderIQ and buy them when they are cheap. I only buy a book when I know for sure I'm going to read it.

I always depends on my mood, sometimes hours, sometimes months...