Inkshares Community discussion

Johnslist > The Johnslist Syndicate

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elan (new)

Elan (bonbonelan) Hey folks,

Seeing the post about Syndicates got me thinking. While I'd love to start a Syndicate for my book review blog, yadda yadda yadda, I think that it might be a better Johnslist endeavor, and the Syndicate concept doesn't lend itself well to too many different hosts.

What do you think?

message 2: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 299 comments Elan, can you elaborate a bit more on what you'd like your syndicate to accomplish?

message 3: by Elan (new)

Elan (bonbonelan) Certainly. You've already started a syndicate, so I think this point is now moot...but I'll elaborate anyway. (This thread wasn't connected to my own Syndicate idea, which would be connected to my blog.)

Your Johnslist "program" is an awesome way to advance projects to Quill or Inkshares publication on a one-by-one basis. It seems like a natural extension of that spirit, to have those who support the idea behind Johnslist to get into a syndicate together, supporting one book each month the same way they would in this ad-hoc fashion on GR threads.

I hope I explained my reasoning adequately.

message 4: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 299 comments This makes sense, Elan! Hmm...here's how I see it.

Johnslist is about supporting a given book. Johnslist goes well beyond what a syndicate does. A syndicate would support certain types of books, not necessarily working with the authors of the books they support to make them get more readers. Whereas Johnslist addresses another angle -- it's like a coaching / support team for the author of a given project. Authors come together to help that one author succeed -- be it in the present campaign or down the road as they strategize what comes next and how they can do better.

I see them as two very different things. I do wonder, though, about creating a Johnslist Syndicate, which might reflect author members who avidly like to help other Johnslist authors. That syndicate could then, as it grows, place a vote on Johnslist titles. I don't know if that's what you're seeing, but I see it as a way to add strength to the Johnslist endeavor of helping a given author succeed. There will only be so many Johnslist incentives on the go at a time, so the Johnslist Syndicate can opt to support whichever Johnslist title it chooses each month.

Thoughts?

message 5: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 299 comments By the way, I would not start this syndicate, but I think it would be an excellent idea and something you could start and we could work together on this if you see merit in it.

message 6: by Elan (new)

Elan (bonbonelan) Makes perfect sense, John. Thanks for clarifying the purpose behind Johnslist.

I'll revisit the Syndicate idea from another angle, I think.