The Reading Rebels! discussion

Thirteen Reasons Why
This topic is about Thirteen Reasons Why
Thirteen Reasons Why - December > The Beginning & Cassette 1 (sides A & B)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate (infinitelynovel) Seeing as there are no specific chapters in this novel, I thought I'd try and split the book into parts.

So let us know your thoughts and feelings about the beginning of the novel and cassette 1 (sides A & B) here!

Sydney Byck | 5 comments I thought that cassette tape 1 side A was very interesting. This cassette tape is about her feeling insecure. She feels like she was only considered "hot" because she had a "good" butt.

Kate (infinitelynovel) For me, the beginning got off to an intriguing start. As readers we know what's coming - seeing as the blurb mentions Hannah's suicide - but the author has done a great job of making you wonder what's going on and who exactly the narrator is.

As for Cassette 1, I am a little unsure of Hannah so far. Yes, she has been treated wrongly by two boys so far (typically teenage boys, I hastily add) but I'm still pondering what else could have happened to make her create these tapes. Personally I don't think Hannah was feeling insecure - more enraged that she had been labelled as having the "best butt" and how this now apparently gives males an excuse to man-handle her.

Going to read on. I wonder what Hannah has to say about Jessica...

Sandra (thedarkestpartsofsnow) Kate wrote: "For me, the beginning got off to an intriguing start. As readers we know what's coming - seeing as the blurb mentions Hannah's suicide - but the author has done a great job of making you wonder wha..."

I agree Kate! The start of the book is really intriguing and the author makes you really curious of what else is to come that made Hannah record those tapes.

I also do not think that she is insecure. I think she feels treated wrongly by the boys and it enrages her that they have such power over her reputation.

Sandra (gotathingforthings) | 26 comments I agree with what you guys are saying! And I really like the writing as well.

I have this certain feeling where this book is going, and I don't know if I like it. I really hope if I'm wrong, or else this book will really disappoint me... Haha, that didn't make any sense. But I like it so far, I just have this feeling it is going to disappoint me?

Sandra (thedarkestpartsofsnow) Sandra wrote: "I agree with what you guys are saying! And I really like the writing as well.

I have this certain feeling where this book is going, and I don't know if I like it. I really hope if I'm wrong, or e..."

Haha, no, I might know what you are trying to say here. Excited to hear your thoughts once you continue reading! :)

Cherry (_forevermint)  (_forevermint) | 35 comments This first cassette was definitely interesting. Right away I was pulled into the story. I didn't expect Hannah to sound the way she does, but I definitely agree with you all saying that she sounds enraged. I'm just as nervous for Clay wondering why he's on the list and how bad everything snowballs in the end o.o

Lara (writinglaraferrari) Ferrari | 28 comments I'm a bit late to this party but I'll try to catch up! I don't think it will be hard as I'm pretty intrigued by the book so far. I think it's a really interesting idea for a novel and it definitely not like anything I've read before (although it does have echoes of The Virgin Suicides - did anyone else think that?).

Like Cherry, I was a bit surprised by the way Hannah sounds. She is definitely angry and sarcastic and has some serious (and possibly justified) grudges but her narrative sounds overly juvenile at some points, with a lot of "and then I said... And then you said..."

As of yet I can't decide if I find her cutting remarks and morbid humour clever or annoying.

Sydney Byck | 5 comments I think it isn't morbid humor clever or annoying, but it is rude. She has a rude tone in the book which changes the readers perspective of Hannah.