Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Nathan number 2's 2016 reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan (last edited Jan 14, 2016 08:33AM) (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments Howdy! So this is my first challenge of any sort on Goodreads. I've only just recently started really reading the classics, especially classics written by women. I've decided to make my challenge one of all women writers.

Old School:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Jane Eyreby Charlotte Bronte
Heidi by Johnanna Spyri

New School:
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton
My Ántoniaby Willa Cather

Wild Cards:
84, Charing Cross Road By Helene Hanff

The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe
The Wine of Solitude by Irene Nemirovsky
The Paris Wife by Paula Mclain
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

Alternates:
1.Emma by J.A.
2. Night and Day by V. Woolf

This might be tough, but I'm excited to give it my best shot.

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Welcome Nathan. I am so glad that you chose our challenge here at Catching Up on Classics to be your first challenge. Happy Reading!

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments Thanks!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This is a great list! And a wonderful job in getting all female authors. That isn't easy. I've already added The Paris Wife to my TBR :) I'm curious about Z too.

Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice are among my favorite novels.

Have fun!

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments I'm just now seeing the women's consecutive decades reading challenge. Maybe I should do that instead?

message 6: by Cosmic (last edited Dec 02, 2015 10:59PM) (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 135 comments Nathan wrote: "I'm just now seeing the women's consecutive decades reading challenge. Maybe I should do that instead?"

You could do both!
I did. I love classics.

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I read Pride and Prejudice last year and was surprised by how much I liked it. Jane Eyre is a good story, I especially like the young Jane in the early part of the book, such spirit. As for Mrs. Dalloway, I’m not compatible with Virginia Woolf, I’ve set her aside in hopes of finding Ms. Right. I’ll have to check out Buccaneers, since I’m partial to Edith Wharton, wonderful woman. Several of your other selections and or authors I have on my plan for next year. Good Luck!!

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Love this list by women authors. I have Heidi, My Antonia and The Dud Avocado on my list as well. I love P&P and I hope you do too. I am with Bob on Virginia Woolf. I have read 3 of hers and only liked one. Maybe you will do better with her work. Enjoy your challenge!

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments Thanks, y'all! I've been purchasing my reading list. I'm super excited for this.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3941 comments Great list Nathan. My challenge is also all women authors, and I'll be reading Jane Eyre too. Enjoy!

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Great list and some great books. Good luck :)

message 12: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5479 comments Mod
Looks like a great list to me. I've read many of them and not a one I didn't like. I'll be looking for your reviews.

message 13: by Nathan (last edited Dec 16, 2015 12:10AM) (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments Howdy. I have a quick question for any person in control of the rules. I recently have been stocking up a wee bit on my list for next year. Two days ago I received "The Dud Avocado" in the mail, read the introduction, and couldn't help but read the book. Am I allowed to change that title since 2016 hasn't begun yet, or should I just count on using one of my alternates?

It's a silly question, but I had to read it, and it was worth the non-wait. ;)

message 14: by Lesserknowngems (last edited Dec 16, 2015 01:01AM) (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments "You can add your books and make edit adjustments till December 31st. " Copied from Bob's rule"book".

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments Haha, thanks. ;)

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3941 comments That is a great recommendation for The Dud Avocado, Nathan! Thanks for sharing.

If you go to your alternates, I remember really enjoying Night and Day. It's one of her earlier, more traditional novels, and it might be interesting to contrast it with Mrs. Dalloway.

Austen is always good too of course. Add Margaret Atwood and you have three women writers who can't go wrong, as far as I'm concerned!

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Lesserknowgems is right about changes. You can make any change you wish to your challenge till midnight (your local time) December 31st. After that everybody is on their honor to make no further changes.

message 18: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments Thanks, all! I took it off and added "84, Charing Cross Road".

message 19: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 17 comments I just finished 84, Charing... What a lovely, interesting read. There are lots of lessons to be taken away from Helene Hanff.

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5479 comments Mod
I enjoyed 84 Charing Cross. It was so sweet.

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "I enjoyed 84 Charing Cross. It was so sweet."

Never heard of this one and know it is on my TBR list. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for getting it onto my radar.