Historical Fiction discussion

unrelated things > Looking to make connections

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess Erin (theadventuresofmsfortune) | 2 comments Hi all!

My name is Jess and I am a brand new author. I am looking to connect with other authors to share ideas, marketing strategies, etc.

I look forward to meeting you!
Thanks!
Jess

message 2: by Gracie (new)

Gracie (gracieshorts) | 16 comments What is your genre? I'm an historic fiction fan

message 3: by Gracie (new)

Gracie (gracieshorts) | 16 comments What is your genre? I'm an historic fiction fan

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara Dahmen | 17 comments :) I love historical fiction too. :)

message 5: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 17 comments Welcome Jess - it's the right group for historical fiction ;-)

message 6: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 8 comments Welcome! I write historical fiction fantasy. :)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah King | 3 comments Hi Jess - your novel looks really interesting, I've added it to my 'to read' list. Like you I just published my first book this year. I like how you mentioned sharing marketing tips - yup, it's definitely a challenge!! Sarah :-)

message 8: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments I am an avid reader, and historical fiction is my favorite genre, especially 1800 - 1999. I would love to read and review your books, authors - you are welcome to check out my reviews on Goodreads and Amazon. I also add reviews to Barnes and Noble. I have been retired exactly one year, and I think I am getting the hang of sittin' round and doing nothing but read and garden.

message 9: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 17 comments Bonnye Reed wrote: "I am an avid reader, and historical fiction is my favorite genre, especially 1800 - 1999. I would love to read and review your books, authors - you are welcome to check out my reviews on Goodreads ..."

Sounds wonderful! When will you make the jump to sittin' round and writing? ;-)

If you're interested in a slightly different historical fiction, let me know if you want a review copy of Murder in-absentia. I'm always up for more readers :)

Otherwise I'd strongly recommend to you the Boris Akunin novels - set in late 19th century Russia, they are an amazing read!

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam Lutton (goodreadscomsam_lutton) | 8 comments Bonnye...If you like fiction based on fact, then you might enjoy a little known aspect of the Cold War. Check out The Gamov Incident at www.sjlutton.com.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments Here's another vote for Boris Akunin! We love his stuff and want MORE translated into English!

Bonnye, you can have a great time having a say about new books getting published if you frequent Kindle Scout (kindlescout.amazon.com). I have a historical novel up in a campaign now, ending 1/9. It's entitled ROSETTE and is based on the real journal of a young woman in Michigan in the 1800s.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara Dahmen | 17 comments Bonnye! Very cool--I'd be happy to send you a copy of my book (set in the Dakota Territories 1880's) for your thoughts and reviews!

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Graham (sandpen) | 12 comments For anyone interested in gaining insight into life in Canada in the 1940-50 time period, I'm making two novels available for free Kindle download as follows:
"Two Loves Lost" January 7-11. It's the story of a genius who becomes Canada's youngest test pilot and his struggles to cope with two great losses.
"Murder - On Salt Spring?" January 14-18. A murder mystery set on a small B.C. island.

message 14: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Cindy, I have already voted for Rosette. I'm very excited to see it in print!

message 15: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Sara wrote: "Bonnye! Very cool--I'd be happy to send you a copy of my book (set in the Dakota Territories 1880's) for your thoughts and reviews!"

Love to have them, Sara. I am three books behind at the moment, but I'm a fast reader - my email is brf1948 at yahoo dot com and I prefer mobi as it is easiest to download on my old ipad.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments Bonnye Reed wrote: "Cindy, I have already voted for Rosette. I'm very excited to see it in print!"

So grateful, Bonnye! I hope you'll have a free copy in hand in a month or two! :-D

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments Jess wrote: "Hi all!

My name is Jess and I am a brand new author. I am looking to connect with other authors to share ideas, marketing strategies, etc.

Thanks!
Jess"

Hi, Jess. I'm a debut novelist, too (see RosetteBook.com and take a look at my campaign on Kindle Scout the rest of this week), and I highly recommend KBoards. com for "business talk." I'm happy to chat here, too!

message 18: by Cindy (last edited Jan 06, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments That's right, Melina--it's Kindle-oriented, but in the Authors section folks talk about other venues, too, and a lot of the marketing applies across platforms.

message 19: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Sara wrote: "Bonnye! Very cool--I'd be happy to send you a copy of my book (set in the Dakota Territories 1880's) for your thoughts and reviews!"

Love to read your historical novel, Sara! My old ipad prefers mobi, and my email is brf1948@yahoo.com

message 20: by Julian (new)

Julian Bell | 5 comments My name is Julian Bell, and I am a writer and teacher. I teach English at a girls' secondary school in London, England, and have recently published a historical romance set in Dublin in 1920 during the Irish War of Independence, called Whatever You Say, Say Nothing, available from Amazon.Whatever You Say, Say Nothing

I love historical fiction and history and political biography, and my reading is split 50/50 between fiction and history. I read about 70 books a year. My area of interest is in the twentieth century, particularly British and Irish social history. I have recently finished writing a sequel to Whatever You Say, Say Nothing, called My Enemy's Enemy, and set in London during the Blitz in 1940 - 41. The Second World War fascinates me as it was the formative time of my parents' lives - they met in 1938, were separated by the war when my grandfather took his family back to Canada, were reunited when my father did RAF training in Canada, and were then married in September 1945 in England, immediately after the war.

I'm currently working on the third book in my trilogy, Ourselves Alone, set in 1974, the era of my childhood, so much more autobiographical.

Favourite history books: Orlando Figes, The People's Tragedy, about the Russian Revolution; Dominic Sandbrook and David Kynaston's books on post war British social history; Tim Pat Coogan's books on C20 Irish history.

Favourite historical novels: Helen Dunmore, The Siege, about the siege of Leningrad; Sarah Waters, The Night Watch, about gay women in the London Blitz; Jonathan Coe, The Rotters' Club, about 1970s Britain - eerily reminiscent of my own childhood - his school is virtually identical to my own, only being in Birmingham while I grew up in South London!

I would love to connect with people who have an interest in C20 British and Irish history, as told in fiction and history. Maybe set up a group on this topic? How would I do that?

message 21: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Assaph wrote: "Bonnye Reed wrote: "I am an avid reader, and historical fiction is my favorite genre, especially 1800 - 1999. I would love to read and review your books, authors - you are welcome to check out my r..."

I ordered Murder in Absentia in Kindle this morning - I'm looking forward a good read. So glad to have found you! My grandfather Reed bragged in his old age about his English history, but in my ancestry searches back to the 1600's all the Reeds in my line married Irish women so I am especially fond of Irish historical books of any sort. Thanks!

message 22: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Julian wrote: "My name is Julian Bell, and I am a writer and teacher. I teach English at a girls' secondary school in London, England, and have recently published a historical romance set in Dublin in 1920 during..."

Julian, I ordered Whatever you say in Kindle this am - looking forward to a great read! I am glad to have found you! Keep us posted.

message 23: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Sam wrote: "Bonnye...If you like fiction based on fact, then you might enjoy a little known aspect of the Cold War. Check out The Gamov Incident at www.sjlutton.com."

Thanks, sam, for the recommendation. I'm on it!

message 24: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Ruta Sepetys has a new novel called Salt of the Sea releasing on February 2. She is the author of Between Shades of Gray - an awesome WWII novel that lives in your heart forever. If you haven't read her, please do so. This one is based on the rescue ship Wilhelm Gustloff filled with refugees - lots of children - that was refused harbor in Cuba, US, etc.

message 25: by Bonnye Reed (new)

Bonnye Reed (brf1948) | 30 comments Sandy wrote: "For anyone interested in gaining insight into life in Canada in the 1940-50 time period, I'm making two novels available for free Kindle download as follows:
"Two Loves Lost" January 7-11. It's the..."

Sounds like a winner, Sam. Thanks for the info - I'm looking forward to a good read!

message 26: by Julian (new)

Julian Bell | 5 comments My name is Julian Bell, and I am a writer and teacher. I teach English at a girls' secondary school in London, England, and have recently published a historical romance set in Dublin in 1920 during the Irish War of Independence, called Whatever You Say, Say Nothing, available from Amazon.Whatever You Say, Say Nothing

I love historical fiction and history and political biography, and my reading is split 50/50 between fiction and history. I read about 70 books a year. My area of interest is in the twentieth century, particularly British and Irish social history. I have recently finished writing a sequel to Whatever You Say, Say Nothing, called My Enemy's Enemy, and set in London during the Blitz in 1940 - 41. The Second World War fascinates me as it was the formative time of my parents' lives - they met in 1938, were separated by the war when my grandfather took his family back to Canada, were reunited when my father did RAF training in Canada, and were then married in September 1945 in England, immediately after the war.

I'm currently working on the third book in my trilogy, Ourselves Alone, set in 1974, the era of my childhood, so much more autobiographical.

Favourite history books: Orlando Figes, The People's Tragedy, about the Russian Revolution; Dominic Sandbrook and David Kynaston's books on post war British social history; Tim Pat Coogan's books on C20 Irish history.

Favourite historical novels: Helen Dunmore, The Siege, about the siege of Leningrad; Sarah Waters, The Night Watch, about gay women in the London Blitz; Jonathan Coe, The Rotters' Club, about 1970s Britain - eerily reminiscent of my own childhood - his school is virtually identical to my own, only being in Birmingham while I grew up in South London!

I would love to connect with people who have an interest in C20 British and Irish history, as told in fiction and history. Maybe set up a group on this topic? How would I do that?

message 27: by Julian (new)

Julian Bell | 5 comments Hi Jess,

My name is Julian Bell, and I am a writer and teacher. I teach English at a girls' secondary school in London, England, and have recently published a historical romance set in Dublin in 1920 during the Irish War of Independence, called Whatever You Say, Say Nothing, available from Amazon.Whatever You Say, Say Nothing

Jess wrote: "Hi all!

Thanks!
Jess"

message 28: by James (new)

James Aura (jamesaura) | 2 comments I'm a retired journalist who wrote a historical mystery set in 1975 with a series of unfortunate events set off by the fall of Saigon and the end of the Vietnam War. The story actually takes place in central Kentucky. I'm also working on a sequel set in 1985. Be glad to
loan the e-book to anyone who would like to read it thru Amazon and would appreciate your ideas and feedback.
When Saigon Surrendered: A Kentucky Mystery