The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > In so much Trouble!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Once I started typing Authors names into the search engine to look for books I have read; my "to read" list has grown far too much! I doubt I will be able to catch up!

Good News? I came across quite a few non-fiction stuff I would like to read again, like Robert Fulghum, and StarHawk, and bell hooks!

Ahhhhh! (searches for brown paperbag) I know my list really is not that long, but, I can't imagine getting through it all when I know my voracious reading spurt is starting to slow down....

Any tips to keep the animalistic need to read at a reasonable minimum so that I can keep enjoying books?

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Oh, Erin....the fallacy of your question is that once the animal has been released, there's no way to re-cage it. If you try, you may explode. No; the best thing is to just join the rest of us in keeping the beast well-fed. Happy reading.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Dan wrote: "Oh, Erin....the fallacy of your question is that once the animal has been released, there's no way to re-cage it. If you try, you may explode. No; the best thing is to just join the rest of us in..."

*nods in agreement*

I've tried to do book-bans, so that I'm only reading books that I already own and not purchasing anything new, but they don't work. You just feel deprived and then when you fall off the wagon, you fall hard, and generally into something unpleasant as well.

My advice to keep your sanity and savings account intact: Invest in a library card. :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I too am a big fan of the library, especially since everything can be done on line, ordering, renewing, etc. So all I have to do is physically is go in a pick up the books. Then I still end up getting two or three more that I hadn't anticipated getting. Once there I can't help but browse.

Dan - Well said--just keep reading and enjoy the ride.

message 5: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 19, 2009 10:47AM) (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Then there are those of us who rely on Amazon and WalMart due to no Library within 50 miles!

We just realize that the animal is sooo loose and we will never have any spare cash again!!!

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Go Dan!!!

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracey1970) I love books and reading. It does not matter if they are library books, secondhand books, new books, books bought from the internet or borrowed from a friend. Books are great and very good for the soul. Happy reading to you all.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) | 32 comments I try to impose book bans on myself and they never work either. I'll tell myself that I won't buy a book until I've read 5 of the books I already have, but then my dad will offer to take me to B&N and I end up getting more. I don't think I've ever read 5 books before waiting to get at least 1 new one.

Good luck :)

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 37 comments I wandered in B&N to buy a CD and left the store with 4 new books instead. The willpower to resist is just non-existent.

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
I love hearing people admit they are at the mercy of bookstores and libraries, and internet shopping :)

message 11: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Amy wrote: "I try to impose book bans on myself and they never work either. I'll tell myself that I won't buy a book until I've read 5 of the books I already have, but then my dad will offer to take me to B&N ..."
I could never do that.

Living on an island without a bookshop (until mine) I used to buy from from a catalogue. My favourite company would send books anywhere in the world for $10 if you bought more than a $100, although they used to take about two months to get to me. Four times a year I used to get a couple of boxes, 20 to 30 books each time. And for a couple of months I would feel so rich surrounded by books I hadn't read. (The last month was hell, I'd have to go off-island and buy enough paperbacks to last until the next shipment arrived).

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Wow Petra, I don't think I could do that. And Lu - I know what you mean. I am afraid to even go into a bookstore anymore, because I am unable to leave without buying LOTS of books. Even when I go on Amazon and order them I usually end up with more than I set out to get.