The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.6 - Andy P's task: Winter in Tucson

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 09, 2015 05:56PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10898 comments Mod
25.6 - Andy P.'s task: Winter in Tucson

This winter we will be spending the winter in Tucson instead of shoveling snow in Michigan. In celebration of this good fortune I am highlighting some of the available activities in this part of Arizona.

This is a two book task. Select two different options and read a book for each.

Required: State which options you chose when you post.

**Note: Books with the genre childrens or kids may not be used for this task.**

Option 1. December brings the Luminaria at the Tucson Botanical Garden. This is much more enjoyable than similar events in northern climes because it doesn't require parkas, hat, gloves etc. For this option read a book in which the initial letter of each word in the title can be found in the word LUMINARIA. The title must be at least two words long.

Option 2. In January Tucson plays host to a rodeo for which native Tucsonians are justifiably proud. For this option, read a book that has the genre "Western" listed on its main page. The genre may stand alone or be embedded.

Option 3. In February the Gem Show comes to town. For this option read a book that has a gemstone in its title/subtitle. For the purposes of this task, we will use this list of Popular Gemstones. If the gemstone has a two-word name on the list, both names must appear in the title/subtitle.

Option 4. Also in February the Assistance League of Tucson, a philanthropic organization, holds its major fundraiser called What'z It Worth. Similar to the TV favorite Antiques Road Show, by purchasing a ticket one may bring a family heirloom or artwork (here is my art connection) and have it appraised by an expert in the field. All profits from this event go to buying clothes and school supplies for local elementary school children who, in many cases, have never had clothes which have not been handed down from an older sibling or purchased in a resale store.

For this option, read a book whose author's initials can be found in WHAT'Z IT WORTH. If an author uses a middle name or initial(s) all three (or more) letters must be included.

message 2: by Andy (last edited Dec 04, 2015 10:51AM) (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Reserved for approved books
ALSO I FORGOT TO ADD NO CHILDREN'S OR KID'S BOOKS MAY BE USED FOR THIS TASK

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Reserved for books not making the cut.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10898 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3655 comments QUESTION ...
Option 4. Also in February the Assistance League of Tucson, a philanthropic organization, holds its major fundraiser called What'z It Worth. Similar to the TV favorite Antiques Road Show ...

For this option, read a book whose author's initials can be found in WHAT'S IT WORTH.

You say the event is called What' Z it worth. But ask that the author initials are found in What' S it worth.

Just want to be sure I'm looking for an S vs a Z

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments For Option 1 Luminaria can I read Love in a Nutshell (Culhane Family #1) by Janet Evanovich ?

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments For Bookconcierge you are correct that there is confusion . The title of the event is What'z it Worth. My mistake. Sorry

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments For Jayme your choice is fine

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3655 comments Andy wrote: "For Bookconcierge you are correct that there is confusion . The title of the event is What'z it Worth. My mistake. Sorry"

So I'm looking for a Z ... yes?

message 10: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Option 2--
Andy- may I please have verification of "Western" since it's listed 5th and might disappear.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

thanks!

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Andy wrote: "For Bookconcierge you are correct that there is confusion . The title of the event is What'z it Worth. My mistake. Sorry"

So I'm looking for a
Z
... yes?"

Correct Z is the operative letter. Sorry my task had some errors, but I think it is correct now.

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Jonquil wrote: "Option 2--
Andy- may I please have verification of "Western" since it's listed 5th and might disappear.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9......"

So noted. Use this message as a reference if Western is not on the main page when you read the book.

message 13: by Tammy AZ (last edited Dec 13, 2015 08:29PM) (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 875 comments Andy - FYI in March, the University of Arizona hosts one of the largest book fairs in the country. I highly recommend it!

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Tammy AZ wrote: "Andy - FYI in March, the University of Arizona hosts one of the largest book fairs in the country. I highly recommend it!"
Thanks for the comment. I've been to it every year except the first and my daughter, son-in-law and their four year old daughter always plan to visit when it is happening. I agree, It is great

message 16: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Claire wrote: "Option 2: Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

Option 3: Always, Amber by Barbara Boswell"

Those both work. Enjoy

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1508 comments Please confirm Tucker's Claim has "Western" as a main page genre (currently 56 users).

Thanks

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Tucker's Claim has "Western" as a main page genre (currently 56 users).

Thanks"

So noted though with 56 users I think it's probable it will be o the mp when you read the book.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1508 comments Thanks Andy.

Yes, it probably will but I had a book with a main page genre with over 100 users and it disappeared the day I posted. Next day it was back. I learned my lesson :0)

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments #3, is it OK if the gemstone is plural in the title? Diamonds Are Forever

message 21: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments Suzanne wrote: "#3, is it OK if the gemstone is plural in the title? Diamonds Are Forever"
Yes