The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.5 - Amanda A's task: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 11, 2015 07:05PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
25.5 - Amanda A's task: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Please chose TWO different options and read a book for each.

Required: State which options you chose when you post.

A. I always enjoy listening to Christmas carols during the Christmas season. Read a book with a word of at least four letters from the song title of your favorite Christmas carol or song in the title or subtitle. Variations that preserve the meaning of the word, including plurals, possessives, and singulars, will work.
Required: Include the song title of your favorite Christmas carol in your post.

B. My family enjoys riding around to look at the many Christmas light displays in our area. Read a book with a Christmas decoration on the cover (Christmas tree, lights, ornament, wreath etc.) or a book by an author whose initials can be found in CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. Middle initials may be used or ignored.
Required: Include the cover showing the Christmas decoration.

C. Christmas gatherings usually involve a lot of good food and drinks. Read a book with food or drink on the cover.
Required: Include the cover in your post.

D. Merry Christmas! Read a book of your choice.

message 2: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments -

message 3: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments -

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:45PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2966 comments for option B Christmas decoration- Starry Night by Debbie Macomber christmas tree on the cover

For option c food or drink on the cover Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11) by Diane Mott Davidson

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Great Christmas themed task!

Regarding the word in a song option - does it have to an official "carol", like Deck the Hall or can we use a Christmas song like the Beach Boys Little Saint Nick or Ronettes I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus?

message 7: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Jamie wrote: "Great Christmas themed task!

Regarding the word in a song option - does it have to an official "carol", like Deck the Hall or can we use a Christmas song like the Beach Boys Little Saint Nick or R..."

Thanks, Jamie! A Christmas song is fine.

message 8: by puppitypup (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:45PM) (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments For Option A, can the word be embedded? My favorite Christmas carol is "Angels We Have Heard on High." May I read "So I Married a Highlander?"

Alternatively, for Option B, would this work? That is a piece of mistletoe in the top left corner of the cover.
Kissed by You (Tropical Heat, #3) by Sophia Knightly

message 9: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments puppitypup wrote: "For Option A, can the word be embedded? My favorite Christmas carol is "Angels We Have Heard on High." May I read "So I Married a Highlander?"

Alternatively, for Option B, would this work? That is..."

The word can be embedded for option A. That book works for option B.

message 10: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Whole Rethinking the Science of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell

Would the leafy greens on the cover be okay for food? It is a book about nutrition, after all. Thanks!

message 11: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments For option C, Would this work for food and drinks? Wanted Christmas Mommy by Judy Christenberry ?

message 12: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Sirena wrote: "Whole Rethinking the Science of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell

Would the leafy greens on the cover be okay for food? It is a book about nutrition, after all. Thanks!"

Yes, that's fine.

message 13: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Hina wrote: "For option C, Would this work for food and drinks? Wanted Christmas Mommy by Judy Christenberry?"

Yes

message 14: by Teodora (new)

Teodora Paslaru | 76 comments Does the pumpkin count as food on this cover: Before Midnight A Retelling of "Cinderella" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales) by Cameron Dokey ?

message 15: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Teodora wrote: "Does the pumpkin count as food on this cover: Before Midnight A Retelling of "Cinderella" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales) by Cameron Dokey?"

Yes

message 16: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1624 comments For Option B, if a book has more than one author do all author's initials need to be in CHRISTMAS LIGHTS or just one?

An Amish Christmas Quilt is by Charlotte Hubbard (who does fit the task), Kelly Long (who does not), and Jennifer Beckstrand (who does not)

message 17: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Julia wrote: "For Option B, if a book has more than one author do all author's initials need to be in CHRISTMAS LIGHTS or just one?

An Amish Christmas Quilt is by [author:Charlotte Hubbard|53342..."

Just one author's initials.

message 18: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 867 comments For Option A can I use The Christmas Song - Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire - for the word Fire. According to Wikipedia Fire is in the subtitle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chr...

message 19: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Yes, that's fine.

message 20: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments For option C, this works?
Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey

message 21: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Gabriella wrote: "For option C, this works?
Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey"

What is the item on the cover?

message 22: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Amanda A wrote: "Gabriella wrote: "For option C, this works?

What is the item on the cover?"

A peach.

message 23: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Gabriella wrote: "Amanda A wrote: "Gabriella wrote: "For option C, this works?

What is the item on the cover?"

A peach."

That works.

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige (paigeawesome) | 39 comments For task A:
My favorite Christmas carol is "Ave Maria" and I'm especially partial to the Salzburg Children's Choir's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnX3t...). The lyrics are in English, and include the world "child." Would it be okay to use Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children from Sex since "children" is a plural of "child"?

message 25: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Paige wrote: "For task A:
My favorite Christmas carol is "Ave Maria" and I'm especially partial to the Salzburg Children's Choir's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnX3t...). The lyrics are in English..."

The word has to be in the song title or subtitle.

message 26: by Paige (new)

Paige (paigeawesome) | 39 comments Amanda A wrote: "Paige wrote: "For task A:
My favorite Christmas carol is "Ave Maria" and I'm especially partial to the Salzburg Children's Choir's version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnX3t...). The lyrics ..."

Oh drat, I didn't realize it was the name of the song. Too bad I don't want to read any books with "Maria" in the title! Thanks!