What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Body Work
This topic is about Body Work
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Thriller novel about a girl who was supposed to be killed when she was younger,and is now an author [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikhaila (new) - added it

Mikhaila (mickeyrjardine) | 3 comments I read this book between 2013 and 2014, I think it is more a thriller than a horror, as the killer does not get his way(I think), but it was not a popular book at the time. I don't think it was for young adults(considering I was reading Dean Koontz book in 2010 when I was in grade 9, with permission from my mother)

The book starts with a girl and her mother running away from a man, and walking on a deserted road (like a farm house area with houses miles apart). They get to a house and they walk up the drive way and find a man and his son there. They live with the man and his son until one night when the girl hears footsteps in the house and follows the noise to the barn and sees a man killing her mother and the boy's father, she then runs back into the house and wakes the boy and tells him to get dressed. He grabs a picture and has no where to put it, so the girl takes the picture and puts it in her pocket. They walk along the road away from the house, and see headlights coming towards them, it is the killer and he hits them and drives away. Years later the girl is a best selling author who writes about this hit and run that she thought about but din't know where it comes from as she doesn't remember anything like that happening to her. The killer is supposed to get onto a plane, but stops in the airport bookshop to pick up a book, he usually doesn't read books by woman but he does in this case and realizes that it is written by the girl he was supposed to kill years ago (I think it was 10 years before she became a writer). He then uses the information about her on the book to track her down. In the mean time, the boy who was also involved in the hit and run is looking for anyone who knows who he was as a child, and he knocks on the girls door and she recognizes the boy in the picture he shows her from the picture she has of a boy. (I think the boy became a police officer). The two of them fall in love and realize that this killer is after her and I think they stop him and send him to jail or he is killed or something like that. I am pretty sure it is a "good" ending.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
No idea what it is Mikhaila, but I'll be adding it to my TBR mountain range (now verging on it's own continent) when it's found.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33466 comments Mod
Mikhaila, initially, what does the heroine think happened to her mother? What about her father?

How soon does the reader learn the story is about heroine's past (e.g., halfway or towards the end)?

message 4: by Mikhaila (new) - added it

Mikhaila (mickeyrjardine) | 3 comments Kris, they find it out fairly close to the beginning, after she has published a book because the killer picks it up in the airport and doesn't usually read books written by women. It doesn't say what she thinks happened to her mother.

After the car accident, they pronounce her dead and then after that they say she recovered and the killer didn't read that.

That's all I know...

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Do you remember what the boy's father's profession was? I have this memory of book description: about family, he was writer, he was having some issues (dissatisfied? midlife crisis?), but hides it, something tragic happens and years later the daughter is writer.

I may be remembering things wrong or that book can be different from yours, but I thought it might help.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33466 comments Mod
Body Work by Fiona Brand seems to match your description.

One Goodreads reviewer says, "The second part of the book occurs 25 years ago, as the current heroine in the book is a young girl who witnesses her mother's murder. In present day, Jane Gale is an author of a bestselling murder novel. She has no memory of her younger years after being hit by a car when she was 7 years old and being in a coma for many months... Jane has a stalker... serial killer read Jane's novel and believes she saw him kill her mother."

message 7: by Mikhaila (new) - added it

Mikhaila (mickeyrjardine) | 3 comments Kris wrote: "Body Work by Fiona Brand seems to match your description.

One Goodreads reviewer says, "The second part of the book occurs 25 years ago, as the current heroine in the..."

You are the greatest person ever!!! Thank you so much!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Body Work (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Fiona Brand (other topics)